Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Joyner is 29 years old and fits the scheme as a nickel back. Even though he's small he's physical and can play in press man. Regardless though if Worley is so good and the elite Kelce stopper why is he unemployed again? You'd think that teams would be lining up outside the door for a player who can shadow the elite TE's in the league week in and week out... 

Joyner can’t play safety in our scheme, is a poor slot corner and is getting paid $9m to boot.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Joyner can’t play safety in our scheme, is a poor slot corner and is getting paid $9m to boot.  

Why can't he play safety in our scheme? He was one of the best FS in the league with the Rams and an above average slot player. Is this a Daryl Worley burner account? 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why can't he play safety in our scheme? He was one of the best FS in the league with the Rams and an above average slot player. Is this a Daryl Worley burner account? 

Evident by the fact that despite multiple injuries we never looked at him at safety last year and that we didn’t get Chris Harris because we are keeping Joyner at slot.

Yesterday it was Heath ‘best tackler in the league’ now Joyner is an above average slot corner smh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Evident by the fact that despite multiple injuries we never looked at him at safety last year and that we didn’t get Chris Harris because we are keeping Joyner at slot.

Yesterday it was Heath ‘best tackler in the league’ now Joyner is an above average slot corner smh. 

https://insidethestar.com/dallas-cowboys-should-re-sign-safety-jeff-heath/

In 2019, Heath lead the NFL in tackling efficiency per Pro Football Focus, which tracks the number of tackle attempts per missed tackles. Among players who played at least 219 snaps in 2019, Heath led all safeties in tackle efficiency with 30 attempts per missed tackle. The next player on this list was Minnesota Vikings Safety Anthony Harris who is expected to receive a big pay day in free agency this year as the top safety available.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-lamarcus-joyner-has-the-potential-to-be-the-playmaker-the-raiders-secondary-desperately-needs

In 2017, Joyner ranked third among all safeties with a 91.2 grade in coverage, while allowing a remarkably low 27.4 passer rating that ranked first at the position. He also forced a pass breakup or interception on 38.5% of his targets in coverage, best among all secondary defenders. Over his career, Joyner has forced an incompletion — by way of either close coverage, a pass breakup, or an interception — on 25.0 percent of his targets in coverage, which is the best rate among the 229 safeties with at least 50 targets since 2006. 

Digging deeper from seasons 2014 to 2018, Joyner has produced a 72.7 grade when covering the slot, 20th among all defensive backs, and he has allowed a passer rating of 89.4 which is the second-best mark among qualifying safeties. 

Along with Joyner’s 25.0 percent forced incompletion rate, he’s also produced a 12.9 percent forced incompletion rate when defending the slot, by far the best among safeties since 2006.

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't understand how you can back Joyner in any way but say Worley is washed. Joyner is going to cost 9-10 million a year. Worley would cost like 1-2 mil and would be a backup. Direct this negative energy toward joyner, who was the definition of a liability last year and still proclaimed himself to be one fo the best nickel corners in the NFL.

• Like 3

The third most expensive free agent signing in 2019 was defensive back Lamarcus Joyner. The former Rams player inked a $42 million contract ($17 million guaranteed) with the Raiders for four years. In 14 games last season, Joyner struggled mightily at the slot. When targeted (fourth most passes thrown to a slot), he was the fourth worst inside cornerback in terms of receptions and yardage allowed.

Above average slot corner? I’ll leave it there.

57 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't understand how you can back Joyner in any way but say Worley is washed. Joyner is going to cost 9-10 million a year. Worley would cost like 1-2 mil and would be a backup. Direct this negative energy toward joyner, who was the definition of a liability last year and still proclaimed himself to be one fo the best nickel corners in the NFL.

Because cutting one would've created $11.75M in dead cap while the other is a free agent. 

37 minutes ago, massraider said:

We get an extra pick at CB this year with Isaiah Johnson coming back. PFF graded him over Mullen last year, and he has all the tools. I'm really hoping he comes in healthy.

He looked really good in a recent workout video that he posted. Super fluid in his movement especially at his size. Only his 4th season playing the position but the physical talent is there. 

I think Joyner could be better served at S but I’m actually rather optimistic in my belief He’s actually going to play good but not great for us at slot CB.  He’s not this total scrub some make him out to be, yet there’s definitely reasons to be doubtful.  I’ve seen enough glimpses of ability and skill to think in the second year, with better play around him, he’ll prove to be a nice asset.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

The dead cap...hello? The biggest reason Joyner is still here. Lol  not his awesome play last year. However , the coaching staffs stubbornness doesn’t help one bit either. At this point there is no parting of ways, only everyone’s hope for improvement.

Joyner didn't play very well last season but he had too much of a cap hit to cut him. You just have to hope that he can regain form and that Rod Marinelli takes over as DC at some point. Because then we'll likely see him moved around and with the addition of Randall you can get creative with how you use Randall/Joyner/Abram. 

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think Joyner could be better served at S but I’m actually rather optimistic in my belief He’s actually going to play good but not great for us at slot CB.  He’s not this total scrub some make him out to be, yet there’s definitely reasons to be doubtful.  I’ve seen enough glimpses of ability and skill to think in the second year, with better play around him, he’ll prove to be a nice asset.

Joyner shouldn't be a full time slot player. He should be a FS that covers the slot at times. Would love to see us use him and Randall both at FS and at nickel corner.