Dallas Cowboys - NFL Draft Prospect Meetings

canadaluvsdallas

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

There will be "1st rd talents at TE in RD 2. I still want one.

I don't think we've even looked in the direction of Smith, or Fant. Smith I don't care too much for but Fant I would be itnerested in.

5 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Do you think it's possible that we have been heavily researching a prospect we haven't invited as our main target?

No, I tend to think our top targets are very likely on the 30 visit list. We have just been so obvious about it for a decade basically.

And I don’t see any reason they would feel motivated to change that up. They have absolutely murdered their first picks lately, probably in large part because of the work they put in with the players. One of only two misses since McClay has been running the drafts was Claiborne, the only first pick they didn’t bring in.

If I were a betting man, I would take those 4 safeties against the field at #58.

Edit: I reread your question. I do think it’s possible we may take a pick that wasn’t a visit, because of all the variables that come with not picking until #58. But if the Cowboys were being honest, I bet their top few hopes are on the visitor list.

10 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I don't think we've even looked in the direction of Smith, or Fant. Smith I don't care too much for but Fant I would be itnerested in.

Both Sternberger and Knox, who are on the visit list, seem highly unlikely to last until #90. Perhaps we are underestimating the possibility of taking a TE at #58. 

11 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Edit: I reread your question. I do think it’s possible we may take a pick that wasn’t a visit, because of all the variables that come with not picking until #58. But if the Cowboys were being honest, I bet their top few hopes are on the visitor list.

I've been wondering about the odds of a move up for a safety. I believe their is a decent chance every one of the top safeties is still sitting on the board at #40. None of them are without their share of questions. Do you jump up 10-15 spots for Taylor/Abram or stand pat any see who falls? 

As far as TE goes, I find it a little peculiar and disappointing they haven't looked at this spot more extensively. Which was my fear when they announced Witten was returning. Their are 3 official visits (not bad), but only a couple beyond that. Private workouts with Dax Raymond/Jerome Washington. That's all I have seen thus far. None coming to Dallas Days.

21 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I've been wondering about the odds of a move up for a safety. I believe their is a decent chance every one of the top safeties is still sitting on the board at #40. None of them are without their share of questions. Do you jump up 10-15 spots for Taylor/Abram or stand pat any see who falls? 

As far as TE goes, I find it a little peculiar and disappointing they haven't looked at this spot more extensively. Which was my fear when they announced Witten was returning. Their are 3 official visits (not bad), but only a couple beyond that. Private workouts with Dax Raymond/Jerome Washington. That's all I have seen thus far. None coming to Dallas Days.

I think this draft will be extremely interesting.  Admittedly, I havent looked at any statistics, but my impression is that strong safeties tend to fall more than free safeties, but I think that the strong safeties (or ones I think are more likely to play strong safety are rated higher.)  I would rather draft a strong safety and keep Woods at free.  However, I think the Cowboys think he can play either and will take someone that can play either free or strong.  For this reason, I bet they stand pat in the 2nd round and see who falls.  I would bet at least 1 and probably 2 maybe 3 make it to our pick.  

I dont think the tight ends will last to our 3rd round pick.  Therefore, I think they trade up in the 3rd round. I also think this is more likely since it is cheaper to move up in the 3rd than the 2nd round.  i know others have mentioned this, but it wouldnt surprise me if they traded Taco and/or a future pick to move up.  I think this is especially true if they draft safety in the 2nd because they would probably cut Iolka and I think that gives Dallas a 5th round compensatory pick next year. 

Would anyone here trade Dallas' 3rd round pick this year, next years' 4th rounder, and Taco to move up into the 70's to draft a TE.  For me that is a really close call, but I could see Dallas doing it.

10 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Their M.O. has been to have a target list of names, and try to secure one of those. They'll trade up if there is only one name they like left (i.e. Dez, Tank), but otherwise they prefer to sit there and let the draft come to them. 

So let's say they have a group of safeties they like and want to take in the 2nd round and all of them are sitting there at 40. I don't think they try to move up and take their favorite. I think the sit and see how the board starts to shake out, possibly moving up a few spots if only one of those names remain. That said, there might be more names on the list than just safeties.

10 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I think they are legitimately looking at TE. They may just realize they don't have a realistic shot at the top guys (Hockenson, Fant, Smith), and don't see a need for another JAG when they have Jarwin and Schultz. Either they want someone with real potential, or not. Knox and Sternberger seem to fall in that sweet spot. If not, TE shouldn't be a priority.

Realistically speaking, at #58 who is your ideal pick, nightmare pick, and sleeper pick?

Ideal pick: Taylor Rapp. Probably have to move up a few spots for him, but I believe he's the best safety in class.

Nightmare pick: Jachai Polite. Nothing linking him to Dallas and despite poor showings in draft process, his college production is undeniable and Dallas seems to have interest in pass rushers. 

Sleeper pick: WR Kelvin Harmon. I've seen a pretty big fluctuation in his ranking, top 40 for some, others have him outside top 75. While I'd rather have more speed at WR, Harmon's blocking and work ethic are hard to overlook. 

57 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Realistically speaking, at #58 who is your ideal pick, nightmare pick, and sleeper pick?

Ideal pick: Taylor Rapp. Probably have to move up a few spots for him, but I believe he's the best safety in class.

Nightmare pick: Jachai Polite. Nothing linking him to Dallas and despite poor showings in draft process, his college production is undeniable and Dallas seems to have interest in pass rushers. 

Sleeper pick: WR Kelvin Harmon. I've seen a pretty big fluctuation in his ranking, top 40 for some, others have him outside top 75. While I'd rather have more speed at WR, Harmon's blocking and work ethic are hard to overlook. 

My ideal pick is Rapp or Abram. I go back and forth on who I like more.

Jaylon Ferguson is the pick that worries me the most.

I agree that a WR could be a sleeper pick that no one sees coming, but I’m not sure which one.

58 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Jaylon Ferguson is the pick that worries me the most.

And, of course he's the one who seems to be getting the most attention from Dallas.  Even though I like Ferguson far more as a prospect than Taco Charlton, there are too many similarities present. 

11 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Ideal: Taylor Rapp

Nightmare: LJ Collier

Sleeper: Darnell Savage

New/Old Draft Info. - Over a week old but here it is.

To start it off... A Boise player. Shocking.

Running backs coaches from the Dallas Cowboys and New Orleans Saints were on hand to watch Alexander Mattison, who ran the 40 and did position drills

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-report-boise-state

Ole Miss. Pro Day

Multiple players came away winners from the workout, but none more than quarterback Jordan Ta'amuTa’amu met extensively with the Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans.

Knox looked terrific in position drills, and his overall workout was rather remarkable when you consider he’s just 12 weeks removed from hernia surgery.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and Denver Broncos spent time with Knox and are very interested in him. The Dallas Cowboys are another team throwing a LOT of love in Knox's direction.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-report-mississippi

Memphis Pro-day

Running backs coaches from the New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys and Baltimore Ravenswere on hand for Memphis' pro day. The two high-profile players were running back Darrell Henderson and multi-purpose skill player Tony Pollard.

Other news

The Cowboys had most of their national pre-draft visitors at The Star last week but they will have two more in next week with Louisiana Tech defensive end Jaylon Ferguson and Baylor receiver Jalen Hurd, according to sources. Teams can bring players in for visits as late as...

https://twitter.com/toddarcher/status/1116733274896912387?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1116733274896912387&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-cowboys

Cowboys also scouting San Jose St. TE John Oliver. 

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1116710791892361216?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1116710791892361216&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-cowboys

Cowboys also added WR Jalen Hurd, Baylor to the National 30 visit

Sidenote, I see a lot of Taco Charlton bashing going on in this thread. What are our  development time expectations for a late first round DE exactly? I don't remember Dlaw being much either by the end of his 2nd year.

Just because we pick Ferguson doesn't mean he will be contributing that much this year compared to Taco with 3 off-seasons with Rod M. under his belt.

p.s. comparing him to Randy Gregory doesn't count. He has a #1 overall talent fieldwise.

Archived