Cardinals re-sign WR Larry Fitzgerald to one-year deal

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Seems like a luxury signing for the for Cardinals. I get it that he's a legend in Arizona and stuff, but you've gotta cut the cord at some point. 

Texans WR Andre Johnson has sentimental value to the Texans, but the team cut him after he stopped performing - it's a business, and teams don't have the bandwidth to be sentimental when they're picking #1.

That assumes Ftiz has stop producing (or taken a considerable dive), which I feel isn't the case, at all.

13 minutes ago, kramxel said:

That assumes Ftiz has stop producing (or taken a considerable dive), which I feel isn't the case, at all.

Andre Johnson 2013: 109 receptions, 1407 yards, 5 TDs in 16 games

Andre Johnson 2014: 85 rec, 936 yards, 3 TDs in 15 games

Larry Fitzgerald 2017: 109 receptions, 1156 yards, 6 TDs in 16 games

Larry Fitzgerald 2018: 69 receptions, 734 yards, 6 TDs in 16 games

Sure looks like Fitz took as much of a "considerable dive" as Andre Johnson did, if not more of one

But dont mind me I'm just giving you facts

19 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Sure looks like Fitz took as much of a "considerable dive" as Andre Johnson did, if not more of one

To be fair, that 2014 drop had more to do with DeAndre Hopkins emerging as the #1 in Houston. I personally thought AJ had enough juice left to be an 80/900-1,000 yard kind of guy, but he couldn't be making the money he was making with that level of production.

4 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Sure. I mean, those facts have no context, but  they are indeed facts. 

Context would mention the fact that the Cardinals fielded the third worst offense by dvoa in the history of the metric this year (30+ years)... In an era where offense is at an all time high. Maybe Fitz didn't regress from a production standpoint so much as that offense as a whole was truly horrific? They went from a well regarded offensive head coach in 2017 to a floundering defensive rookie head coach. They spent most of their season with a rookie quarterback in over his head who didn't have enough time on most drop backs to remember if he put his inflatable hot tub away. 

I don't know if Fitz is regressing or not, at his age I wouldn't doubt it. But blindly pointing at the stats of last year to tell that story is pretty weak.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sure. I mean, those facts have no context, but  they are indeed facts. 

Context would mention the fact that the Cardinals fielded the third worst offense by dvoa in the history of the metric this year (30+ years)... In an era where offense is at an all time high. Maybe Fitz didn't regress from a production standpoint so much as that offense as a whole was truly horrific? They went from a well regarded offensive head coach in 2017 to a floundering defensive rookie head coach. They spent most of their season with a rookie quarterback in over his head who didn't have enough time on most drop backs to remember if he put his inflatable hot tub away. 

I don't know if Fitz is regressing or not, at his age I wouldn't doubt it. But blindly pointing at the stats of last year to tell that story is pretty weak.

Oh trust me, I dont really believe Fitz's production last season was an indication of his abilities suddenly vanishing overnight because that offense was working with a rookie quarterback behind arguably the worst offensive line in the league.  I was more trying to make the point to the person I quoted that it has to work both ways

4 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Oh trust me, I dont really believe Fitz's production last season was an indication of his abilities suddenly vanishing overnight because that offense was working with a rookie quarterback behind arguably the worst offensive line in the league.  I was more trying to make the point to the person I quoted that it has to work both ways

Fair enough, I didn't read previous the previous posts, admittedly

In what world do the Cardinals need to cut this cord? We have a rookie QB that is in desperate need of weapons, and have a top 3 all time receiver who wants to retire with this franchise, who is still playing at a high level. 

And Larry doesn't want to go and chase a title elsewhere, it wouldn't mean anything to him because the Cardinals are his team. Don't discredit someone for being loyal for god's sake. 

Anyone who criticizes either side for this is either ignorant or trolling 

Just now, ET80 said:

23? I thought we were 32 for the year...

Well, I'll be damned. We WEREN'T the worst! 

It's PFF though lol

Honestly, you probably get the bump for run blocking. I didn't think you guys were awful in that. The Texans and cards were by far the worst pass protecting teams I saw last year though

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's PFF though lol

Honestly, you probably get the bump for run blocking. I didn't think you guys were awful in that. The Texans and cards were by far the worst pass protecting teams I saw last year though

Yeah I wouldnt disagree.  There's something to be said about giving up 62 sacks on the year

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's PFF though lol

Probably, yeah. Greg Little will really like the Fajitas in Houston. Really good Vietnamese food, too.

10 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

Do you mind explaining to me how this is a great move for the Cardinals both right now and the future, other than for PR purposes?  Because I'm just not seeing it when it comes to football related reasons

great move right now for the cardinals bringing back a legend of the game and great locker room guy who's going to be able to pass on his knowledge to the rest of the team, and a great move for the future teaching the young guys how to be pros and also showing other team mates that if they play well it doesn't matter what age they are the organisation is gonna resign them

Archived