Jump to content
kingseanjohn

Steve Spagnuolo hired as DC

Recommended Posts

I'd like to see us move on from Hitchens. Totally unimpressed this last year. I'd rather invest in Germaine Pratt, NC State or Te'von Coney, Notre Dame. These guys can be had for a 2nd. rd. pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I'd like to see us move on from Hitchens. Totally unimpressed this last year. I'd rather invest in Germaine Pratt, NC State or Te'von Coney, Notre Dame. These guys can be had for a 2nd. rd. pick.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/anthony-hitchens-14530/

Just check the contract. We can't do that due to the dead cap. I'm also convinced to give him another shot. Hitchens should be a more natural fit in a 4-3 defense than in a 3-4 defense, so with our switch it just makes sense to give him the chance to proof himself next year.

If you want to move on from one LB, it should be Ragland. I just don't see a position for him in a 4-3 defense, but obviously we wouldn't save much money by cutting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I'd like to see us move on from Hitchens. Totally unimpressed this last year. I'd rather invest in Germaine Pratt, NC State or Te'von Coney, Notre Dame. These guys can be had for a 2nd. rd. pick.

I wouldn't move on from Hitchens just yet as a more attack based scheme would help him rather than Suttons read and react scheme. One person I would be interested in adding to the linebacking core is Jordan Hicks from Philly as he can play Mike or Will and would make a great addition.

 

On the young guys in the draft, Germaine Pratt has struggled according to reports at the Senior Bowl.

Edited by Bullyball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bullyball said:

 

On the young guys in the draft, Germaine Pratt has struggled according to reports at the Senior Bowl.

I understand Pratt has S experience. He went to/began at NC State as a Safety. This experience makes him more valuable to  me. He's got speed for an ILB too. Just sayin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I understand Pratt has S experience. He went to/began at NC State as a Safety. This experience makes him more valuable to  me. He's got speed for an ILB too. Just sayin.

I was on the Pratt wagon as well because he has Safety experience which makes him attractive as a cover linebacker; but according to reports he's been struggling to process plays and has looked slow to react. Maybe this is just a bad practice week but that has put me on pause a little bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Except his defense is built around pressuring the QB.

J

So was Suttons at first

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should shed two or more of Houston, Berry and Ford, if financially viable. I don't think Ford is a great fit and has only had one good year. Berry doesn't deserve anywhere near the contract he has. I've lost patience with him. Houston is also a massive earner. The money saved here could go towards some very valuable additions. Jones needs to get paid soon too.

I know Collins will require a massive contract, but imo he's the biggest addition we could make this offseason. Knows Spags defense and is a playmaker at all levels.

Edited by kempus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Smith left our staff and joins the Packers staff as OLB coach. That's some sad news, because the players credited him a lot this season. If you think about it, it does makes sense for him, since he couldn't knew which job he will have under Spagnuolo and without a real OLB position in a 4-3 scheme. But yeah it's definitely sad to see a coaching talent like him leaving the staff. It won't help us for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kempus said:

I think we should shed two or more of Houston, Berry and Ford, if financially viable. I don't think Ford is a great fit and has only had one good year. Berry doesn't deserve anywhere near the contract he has. I've lost patience with him. Houston is also a massive earner. The money saved here could go towards some very valuable additions. Jones needs to get paid soon too.

I know Collins will require a massive contract, but imo he's the biggest addition we could make this offseason. Knows Spags defense and is a playmaker at all levels.

Ford is the only one financially viable to lose. Houston and Berry are huge cap hits

Houston goes to LEO, some games at the SAM. 

Will be interesting to see what pieces Veach finds to fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chiefer said:

So was Suttons at first

 

 

Go on. Is there a point to make?

We cannot expect exactly what Spagnuolo ran out for the Giants, but we do have an interesting mix of four players for DE and one OLB. Who plays where and how much is question for the future.

Contract-wise, I suspect Houston and Berry would be willing to restructure if it could keep them together. 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Ford is the only one financially viable to lose. Houston and Berry are huge cap hits

Houston goes to LEO, some games at the SAM. 

Will be interesting to see what pieces Veach finds to fit.

Houston is very cuttable. He costs us $21M to keep. Only $7M to cut. So we'd save $14M.

I think we keep both Houston and Ford though, personally. Franchise Ford, try to sign him long term. Move on from Houston in a year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Houston is very cuttable. He costs us $21M to keep. Only $7M to cut. So we'd save $14M.

I think we keep both Houston and Ford though, personally. Franchise Ford, try to sign him long term. Move on from Houston in a year or two.

Agreed. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we extend Houston for another year or two as a way of lowering his cap hits. Otherwise I could see him being cut in 2020 when his dead cap would only be 1.5mil. It doesn't sense right now to cut him. Trade maybe, but I don't see many teams wanting to take that cap hit unless it was a deadline trade for a Superbowl push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kempus said:

I don't think Ford is a great fit and has only had one good year.

 ".........I think we really understand what it takes to [reach] that goal," said Ford, who is set to become a free agent in March but indicated that he is very happy with the strides the Chiefs are making and the excitement of having a quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, who will be there for years."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25851800/dee-ford-credits-kansas-city-chiefs-coach-andy-reid-helping-process-offside-penalty-afc-championship-game

Sounds like Ford is making plans to stay put in Kansas City. It also doesn't sound like Andy Reid wants to send him down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3-4;4-3....mehhh. Does it really matter if we're not aggressive and creative?  I've thought for two years that our front looks more 43 than 34, but with so many packages, it really is insignificant. Aggressiveness and creativity is the key in the scheme, not the scheme itself. Spags brings some energy.....and creativity, and some aggression.  Let's see how it all shakes out.  (D Ford at DE...really?? Teams will run right at him for 4-6 yards a pop).  Next year's breakout star....O'Daniel!!!….should have played more this year, but NOOOOO, play lack luster experienced guys over some one really hungry with talent.  O;Daniel will at least play down hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×