NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread #WinItAll4theHAUL

Phire

6 minutes ago, Phire said:

I was just telling a co-worker how Howie sold out to win it all this year. We have no picks and a bad cap situation, it's a damn good thing we won it all.

That is an astute observation and not mentioned on here from what I’ve seen. Needs to be talked about more, and strategies need to be implemented to rectify the current cap struggle. I trust Howie, but he’s in a tough spot. 

22 minutes ago, 808 said:

That is an astute observation and not mentioned on here from what I’ve seen. Needs to be talked about more, and strategies need to be implemented to rectify the current cap struggle. I trust Howie, but he’s in a tough spot. 

I don't think that was his initial strategy though.

Re-upped

He arguably re-upped on Timmy J prematurely. 

Jeffrey 

Traded

Darby a necessity considering Sidney wasn't available and we had to get something for WR Matthews

Ajayi a luxury trade imo but a 4th is worth it. 

He signed a few guys off the street because of all the injuries

I think because we have so many guys locked up and the haul are why we're strapped. 

Yeah maybe not his initial intentions, but as the dust settles, the cap looks murky. That trade for Ajayi, albeit for great value, was a sign of “win-now” approach looking back at it. 

He also gave away a 2018 3rd in the Darby trade, but gambled on “addition by subtraction” (JMatt=Agholor) and won. 

A trade back from 32 is almost necesssary at this point, as has been mentioned prior. 

I think a trade back is dependent on what position they are looking to fill as the board shakes out...cause in a couple years we are going to have the biggest contract in NFL history on this team thanks to the bloated QB market value, so having that 5year on a guy in a more expensive positional group would be nice....but I suppose having two/three players on rookie deals still for two more years when Carson gets payed is the same sort of thing 

51 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

^Agree Kilty...Interesting tidbit there's an out in Cox's contract after 2019 

The out for Cox is in 2020 when all but 6.4 mil of his guaranteed has been paid. At that point he'll probably sign an extension that re-ups that guaranteed $ and probably lowers his cap hit from 20.3 mil to something more manageable. This also falls right in line with Carson's 5th year option so his contract is really built to keep him for the long haul.

3 hours ago, 808 said:

Yeah maybe not his initial intentions, but as the dust settles, the cap looks murky. That trade for Ajayi, albeit for great value, was a sign of “win-now” approach looking back at it. 

He also gave away a 2018 3rd in the Darby trade, but gambled on “addition by subtraction” (JMatt=Agholor) and won. 

A trade back from 32 is almost necesssary at this point, as has been mentioned prior. 

Trade back from 32 or moving Nicky Nine Inch. Need more picks doe

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

when Carson gets payed is the same sort of thing 

Yeah. This is year 2 of the Wentz rookie deal era; we must strike while the iron is hot and before it burns. 2018 2019 2020 will be manageable cap hits for Wentz, so we need to try and secure at least 1 more Lombardi in that 3-year window. Similar to what Seattle attempted with Wilson. As usual, It’s up to Howie to make it work.

I think part of what Howie learned to make a championship team is to spend every penny you can and make the trades to add talent. I feel part of what makes Andy Reid fail every year is because he always has one eye looking towards the future. Sometimes you just got to win it now. 

14 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I think part of what Howie learned to make a championship team is to spend every penny you can and make the trades to add talent. I feel part of what makes Andy Reid fail every year is because he always has one eye looking towards the future. Sometimes you just got to win it now. 

Yep, it’s what did those team in for sure 

we never used up extra money on guys who would perform well but not be in the long term future plans. Guys like Blount and Chris Long. Pivotal roles in getting us to where we were and then to finish out that season the way we did.

You need to have a couple of gears as a GM...know when is your moment to strike.

1 minute ago, Kiltman said:

Yep, it’s what did those team in for sure 

we never used up extra money on guys who would perform well but not be in the long term future plans. Guys like Blount and Chris Long. Pivotal roles in getting us to where we were and then to finish out that season the way we did.

You need to have a couple of gears as a GM...know when is your moment to strike.

yeah having 20 million in cap room during the season and missing on a lot of reliable rotation vets makes  no sense. 

3 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

yeah having 20 million in cap room during the season and missing on a lot of reliable rotation vets makes  no sense. 

Think what having an extra DB, or playmaker on offense would’ve done for those 2000s teams...script could’ve gone down the same but we could’ve maybe eek out one more super bowl berth.

look at 2008, if we had a vet maybe we coulda sat Demps on the bench where he belonged instead of letting the cards abuse him.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Think what having an extra DB, or playmaker on offense would’ve done for those 2000s teams...script could’ve gone down the same but we could’ve maybe eek out one more super bowl berth.

look at 2008, if we had a vet maybe we coulda sat Demps on the bench where he belonged instead of letting the cards abuse him.

Also getting rid of anyone that just turned 30 was a mistake. Having some experience veterans that can add a lot of new experience to the locker room is a good thing. 

Archived