Anthony Davis Demands Trade

sdrawkcab321

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Add in the league wise anti-Lakers sentiment and it gets interesting. A LOT of deals can compete with the Lakers offer. And there is incentive to not trade him to the Lakers. 

There's literally only a handful of teams who are going to feel confident they're going to get AD to re-sign.  So those are the only teams who might be willing to offer up their young assets to land AD.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

That package still pails in comparison to what the Lakers can offer.  Toronto can't deal their pick until 2021, and the Lakers can deal their pick this year.  The Lakers '19 FRP >>> Toronto's '21 FRP by a pretty significant margin.  And that's not factoring in that the Lakers can offer their '21 FRP as well.  So the Lakers' package still is superior to that of Toronto's.

Considering the uncertainty in Toronto, and the near certainty that the Lakers pick would be in the early 20s, it absolutely has more value. But if NOLA is smart they'd get the 2022 first for the double draft. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So why would AD want to stay in Boston without Kyrie/Tatum? Don't see the use for that trade. If he stays in Boston, a big reason will be to play with Kyrie. 

Better coaching, better front office and a better overall supporting cast? Also I'm pretty sure his problem is more with the front office than guys like Jrue and Mirotic. Playing next to them would allow him to maintain some level of continuity in his life.

Jrue/Augustin
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Ross
Mirotic/Morris
Davis/Baynes

I think Stevens would have a much better time getting that group to play to their full potential than the current pieces he's working with.

1 minute ago, Utley said:

Considering the uncertainty in Toronto, and the near certainty that the Lakers pick would be in the early 20s, it absolutely has more value. But if NOLA is smart they'd get the 2022 first for the double draft. 

A pick now is ALWAYS going to be worth more than a pick TWO years in the future UNLESS you know for a fact that the pick in the future is going to be good.  Do we know Toronto is going to bad in the future?  Absolutely not.  And they can't take back-to-back picks from any team because of the Stepien rule.

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Better coaching, better front office and a better overall supporting cast? Also I'm pretty sure his problem is more with the front office than guys like Jrue and Mirotic. Playing next to them would allow him to maintain some level of continuity in his life.

Jrue/Augustin
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Ross
Mirotic/Morris
Davis/Baynes

I think Stevens would have a much better time getting that group to play to their full potential than the current pieces he's working with.

That's essentially New Orleans' roster with a better coach.  That doesn't win the East, and certainly doesn't win the NBA championship.

I think what we have seen recently is teams are willing to take the risk of adding a superstar in hope to re-signing him regardless of the odds. OKC had arguably the worst odds of keeping PG but they got him to re-sign. Toronto went for it with Kawhi knowing there is a good chance he will leave. Time will tell if that works out or not. Minny/Philly both did it for Butler, though the 76ers have a better chance of keeping him. Instead of just being in the same ole place the entire time, you have to take risks, especially a guy of AD's caliber even if he may not re-sign. At worst you trade most of your pieces and AD leaves and you end up being so bad that you get a top 3 pick. Is that really all that bad? You get to start over with a potential young star from the draft. 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

MPJ has no value right now.  If you liked him before the draft, you still have hope.  But going under the knife for another back surgery has his value near the bottom.  Guys like Gary Harris and Will Barton are valuable to teams that are competing.  For a team rebuilding (like New Orleans in this scenario), they have limited value.  By the time the Pelicans are relevant, they're going to see their contracts expire.

We don't know New Orleans wants to blow it up.  Demps has had a win now mandate from ownership for like 5 straight years, so ownership might want to use Davis to get multiple win now pieces instead of a treasure trove of unknowns.  Like I said earlier, it'd be dumb of them to want this, but owners can be very dumb.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think what we have seen recently is teams are willing to take the risk of adding a superstar in hope to re-signing him regardless of the odds. OKC had arguably the worst odds of keeping PG but they got him to re-sign. Toronto went for it with Kawhi knowing there is a good chance he will leave. Time will tell if that works out or not. Minny/Philly both did it for Butler, though the 76ers have a better chance of keeping him. Instead of just being in the same ole place the entire time, you have to take risks, especially a guy of AD's caliber even if he may not re-sign. At worst you trade most of your pieces and AD leaves and you end up being so bad that you get a top 3 pick. Is that really all that bad? You get to start over with a potential young star from the draft. 

First off, that was a gamble Oklahoma City had to make.  They weren't better off keeping Dipo/Sabonis.  It worked out for them.  Good for them.  San Antonio is a weird situation with Pop being so close to retirement.  And we saw the package that Jimmy Butler fetched.

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Jrue/Augustin
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Ross
Mirotic/Morris
Davis/Baynes

I mean the team would be really good no doubt, but is that team winning it all? I'd say no. And Hayward maaaaaaaaaan, not sure if he ever regains form. Brown would definitely benefit from that trade though. 

Just now, seminoles1 said:

We don't know New Orleans wants to blow it up.  Demps has had a win now mandate from ownership for like 5 straight years, so ownership might want to use Davis to get multiple win now pieces instead of a treasure trove of unknowns.  Like I said earlier, it'd be dumb of them to want this, but owners can be very dumb.

You're right, we don't know for sure.  We'd have to assume that they're going to rebuild.  I think that'd be the "best" scenario for a team like Denver.  But I'm operating under the assumption that the owner isn't going to do something stupid.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So what teams would pull the trigger on AD? AD said he wants to compete for a ship. Bucks, Raptors, Celtics only teams in the east that meet that. Sixers too but they got Embiid.

POR, DEN, and LAL out the west as far as need and win now situations. Pels are in a tough spot. if im them i wait till summer and get tatum and brown.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That's essentially New Orleans' roster with a better coach.  That doesn't win the East, and certainly doesn't win the NBA championship.

The Pelicans wings are horrible though. That and injuries are the biggest reasons why they've been so mediocre this year.

I'd say Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward (fully healthy) are a tremendous upgrade over the likes of E'twaun Moore, Darius Miller, Ian Clark and Solomon Hill. It all depends on chemistry, but I don't see any reason they couldn't compete with any of the Raptors/Bucks/Sixers.

Just now, CWood21 said:

First off, that was a gamble Oklahoma City had to make.  They weren't better off keeping Dipo/Sabonis.  It worked out for them.  Good for them.  San Antonio is a weird situation with Pop being so close to retirement.  And we saw the package that Jimmy Butler fetched.

Sure, but they also knew if PG didn't re-sign the team was going to be a mess going forward. They had little to no assurance PG was going to re-sign but still pulled the trigger. 

Teams aren't as scared anymore of "Oh this guy will be a FA after next season and he may not re-sign." Teams know taking a risk is their only chance of getting to the next step. So I don't buy teams being scared off of Davis not re-signing because he has his eyes set on LA. If you have a good team and think AD is the piece that takes you to the top? Then by all means go for it! 

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

The Pelicans wings are horrible though. That and injuries are the biggest reasons why they've been so mediocre this year.

I'd say Jaylen Brown and Gordon Hayward (fully healthy) are a tremendous upgrade over the likes of E'twaun Moore, Darius Miller, Ian Clark and Solomon Hill. It all depends on chemistry, but I don't see any reason they couldn't compete with any of the Raptors/Bucks/Sixers.

At this point, Gordon Hawyard is a toxic contract.  He's negative value at best.

Archived