patriotsheatyan

Doug Pederson vs Sean McVay  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Doug Pederson vs Sean McVay

• Pederson
    • McVay

Just now, jrry32 said:

Whose fault is that?

The players for letting their legs get rolled up or planting their feet in the ground awkwardly?

The training staff that has nothing to do with these coaches?

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

It's double digit wins.

You know what matters more than "double digit" wins? Playoff wins.

McVay in all actuality is 1-2 in the playoffs.... 2-2 if you wanna count the Saints game.

Pederson is 4-1.

That is a .333 or .500 playoff win percentage for McVay and .800 win percentage for Pederson.

Not to mention Doug did that with a MUCH more banged up team.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Still doesn't make him a better coach.

None of us are in the locker room / film room / practice field to really know who the better coach is.

Plus, we are in the early stages of their careers. It's too soon to say one way or another who is better.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Can't disagree with that. Of course, the one big area of difference is that McVay went out and landed one of the NFL's best DCs. That was an issue that plagued Payton for much of his career. With some better DCs, I think y'all have a few more rings.

Yes, that is a big difference.  Payton has proven to be about as bad as it gets on defensive matters.  McVay at least is doing a lot better in that area. 

Also, I'm not sure about McVay's clock management, but Payton's has been pretty bad over the years.  We've lost way too many games over the years due to either not being able to run out the clock, wasting timeouts, not calling timeouts when we should, not making the other team burn timeouts, etc.

12 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You know who else had back to back double digit win seasons in his first 2 years....

chip-kelly-tongue.gif

Which is problematic when you recognize that Pederson still hasn't done that.

16 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, that is a big difference.  Payton has proven to be about as bad as it gets on defensive matters.  McVay at least is doing a lot better in that area. 

Also, I'm not sure about McVay's clock management, but Payton's has been pretty bad over the years.  We've lost way too many games over the years due to either not being able to run out the clock, wasting timeouts, not calling timeouts when we should, not making the other team burn timeouts, etc.

We're very good at running the clock out. McVay is also the GOAT at burning through his own timeouts lol.

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The players for letting their legs get rolled up or planting their feet in the ground awkwardly?

The training staff that has nothing to do with these coaches?

You don't believe that Pederson could get the Eagles to replace the training staff if he felt they were doing a poor job? There's a reason some teams are consistently healthier than others. Fisher's teams had a penchant for being injured. That happened to change when McVay joined. McVay is outstanding at managing the players and avoiding situations that put them at unnecessary risk for injury. Yes, there is some luck involved, but it's not all luck. Your coaching staff, S&C staff, and training staff all play big roles.

McVay in all actuality is 1-2 in the playoffs.... 2-2 if you wanna count the Saints game.

LOL. This line just shouts, "Disregard my opinion!" 

P.S. The problem with playoff wins is sample size. Pederson went 3-0 in 2017. That means you're claiming him to be a better coach entirely based off of one run in one season. Do you believe Mike Shanahan is a better coach than Andy Reid?

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I value a Super Bowl victory for a coach like I value a QB posting the best individual statistical season. It's great, but it's only one year. You have to measure up in other years. As I said before, the results people pick McVay. He has a significantly better winning percentage and point differential. His offense has been better than Pederson's. And he conducted a larger turnaround. The Super Bowl/clutch people choose Pederson because of what he has done in the playoffs. That's why there's a debate. If Pederson has neither, there's no debate. You are desperately trying to argue that I'm applying a double standard. You are failing miserably. 

And yet I still hear, sure the SB is great but really you should only take a look at all these other things. It's like you're trying to put the same amount of weight of offense rank, winning pct, as the same weight a Super Bowl victory would carry and that's just not true.

If we were to compare the career's of Tom Coughlin and Andy Reid. Reid would win the battle of win pct as well as the number of superior offense's and possibly defenses as well. But it's Coughlin who's the one who has won multiple Super Bowls. Not Reid and all of his high flying offenses specifically his best one yet of this year.

You are arguing against the tide. You could not argue to a sane owner that the guy who is more successful in the regular season is more valuable and more successful then the guy who delivers in the post season with his teams.

You're entire argument essentially validates a loser like Jason Garrett or Marvin Lewis to keep their job because post season success carries the same weight as regular season success. That is piss poor logic and I don't believe for a second you actually believe that.

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

For example, I think Marty Schottenheimer was a better coach than Mike Tomlin is. I think Andy Reid is a better coach than Mike Shanahan. There is no double standard here. All you care about is Super Bowls. I care about results. I want the better coach, not a guy who has a great run.

You're going to need to find a new angle here. This one isn't working.

Andy Reid > Tom Coughlin

Yea WTF ever. No one is going to argue Reid has been a better coach then Coughlin considering the success rate. You can't say you care about results when you belittle the ultimate goal in football.

19 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It's the end goal. It is not, however, the only one that matters. You have to do well in all the preceding games to even get to that one. They all matter. Except preseason, of course.

Let me ask you a question. Who just won the season, the Pats or the Rams? Does the Rams regular season still mean as much when the Pats are the one's hoisting the Lombardi trophy? Sure it means alot, but as much as the Pats? No it does not.

The Rams had a better record and better stats, but they were not the best team in football, nor did they have the more successful season, nor did they have the better coach.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

You keep holding on to your regular season Super Bowl Trophy. Have fun. But yeah it must be nice having a division where the Cardinals and the 9ers basically have been CFL caliber teams in his first two seasons.

They didn't even win the regular season, that would be a Saints.

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Let me ask you a question. Who just won the season, the Pats or the Rams? Does the Rams regular season still mean as much when the Pats are the one's hoisting the Lombardi trophy? Sure it means alot, but as much as the Pats? No it does not.

The Rams had a better record and better stats, but they were not the best team in football, nor did they have the more successful season, nor did they have the better coach.

Yes, it does. Their regular season put them in position to make the Super Bowl. I feel pity for any fan who doesn't enjoy a season unless his or her team wins a Super Bowl.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Well, then you're hearing what you want to hear. Makes this discussion futile.

Lol no, I simply see someone grasping at straws because they have nothing of real value to argue with. 

The answer for right now is Pederson. Does not mean McVay can't surpass him, but in terms of results it's Pederson.

But hey if you still wanna split hairs and discuss winning pct lets include the playoffs. Pederson wins with a .702 winning pct and McVay falls behind at .625.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yes, it does. Their regular season put them in position to make the Super Bowl. I feel pity for any fan who doesn't enjoy a season unless his or her team wins a Super Bowl.

No it does not.

The Giants were in no position to make the SB in 2007 if that were the case and yet they did over the No.1 and No.2 seeed.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not saying Rams should think their season was a total waste when judging only themselves and their team's success. 

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

The answer for right now is Pederson. Does not mean McVay can't surpass him, but in terms of results it's Pederson.

But hey if you still wanna split hairs and discuss winning pct lets include the playoffs. Pederson wins with a .702 winning pct and McVay falls behind at .625.

Your math skills are atrocious. Counting the playoffs, McVay is 26-10 (72.2%) and Pederson is 33-20 (62.3%). 

Lol no, I simply see someone grasping at straws because they have nothing of real value to argue with.

Don't spend too much time looking in the mirror.

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

No it does not.

The Giants were in no position to make the SB in 2007 if that were the case and yet they did over the No.1 and No.2 seeed.

Yes, it did. It gave them a bye week, a home playoff game, and kept them from having to travel to Chicago. Your arguments are just painfully bad.

Archived