What well by post Brady/Belichick era look like?

VigilantZombie

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I think we can all agree did Josh McDaniels has been a terrible head coach when he's gotten an opportunity to be one but at least part of me wonders if he is the most well-equipped person to take over the New England Patriots. To expand upon my opinions above I think that most of us can agree that when you transition from one era to the next in terms of your prolific players especially at quarterback there's always at least a minimal initial fall off typically but not always. In the case of the New England Patriots the Pittsburgh Steelers and most recently the Kansas City Chiefs the transition to the new quarterback was actually a large success. But here is the point I'm getting to I do believe that it's going to be an inevitable foregone conclusion that the Patriots drop off at least a little. I am not however convinced that there is going to be a significant drop off because this is a team that has been poor in the past and with improved ownership and talent they completely changed the culture of their team. I feel like the dominant teams the teams that have made this positive changes they find a way to sustain that success continuously as each season passes. Even the Steelers yeah we are dropping off a bit that's undeniable but we have sustained success over a very long. Of time in large part because of the type of organization we have prided ourselves in being the ownership good hires at coach. So while I do think that there may be a drop off at the Patriot I don't think it will be a significant one I think that everyone expects the Patriots to completely be obliterated so to speak I just don't believe that's going to happen.

McDaniels coaches two years in Denver. Belichick coaches 5 years in Cleveland and 1 year in New England before he really put it together. 

I thinj its silly to judge a guy off an extremely short coaching stint nearly a decade ago 

What I think the Patriots will look like after Bill Belichick and Tom Brady retire...

Belichick could possibly maintain some role with the team.  Anything from "Consultant to the Owner" to "Supreme Overlord."  Who knows.  Your guess is as good as mine.

Nick Caserio will continue in his role of "Director of Player Personnel." He has held this position since 2008, and I see no change here as the Kraft family will wish to retain him.  He will likely be given the title of General Manager, Director of Football Operations, or some such.  His power will likely expand.  He's 43 years old and unless there's a major shift in the front office, Caserio will likely remain in Foxborough for a while.

I foresee Josh McDaniels taking the reins as Head Coach.  There's a reason that the Krafts talked him out of taking the Indianapolis job and allegedly made him the highest paid assistant coach in football.  Yes, his tenure in Denver was pretty bad, but I think it might be better the second time around. Remember that time that Bill Belichick coached the Cleveland Browns and it wasn't really all that great?  Remember the 2000 season in New England?  The first two games of the 2001 season?  Sometimes a coach needs time to get his system and his people in place.  For all we know, they could be prepping for the transition as we speak, although I expect Bill Belichick to coach long enough to challenge Don Shula's record of 347 total wins.  He will continue the commitment to fundamentals and "situational football."  McDaniels is a very talented offensive mind, and does have some defensive coaching experience as a Defensive Assistant with the Patriots during the 2002-2003 seasons.  He very well could retain his duties as Offensive Coordinator while Head Coach, or promote and assistant.  This is where the offensive side of the ball gets murky...

Defensive Coordinator is anyone's guess.  It could be someone already on the staff, like Steve Belichick, or someone who will become available in the future.  Should McDaniels become the Head Coach, there is zero doubt that he will rely heavily on his Defensive Coordinator to maintain that side of the ball.

I expect that there will be a very strenuous emphasis on Special Teams in the future just as here in the present.  There is zero chance that the kicking or return game will be neglected.  Even if McDaniels does not become the Head Coach, anyone who ever interviews with the Krafts in the future will be asked about his plans for the so-called 'third phase' of the game.  Bob and Jonathan Kraft are savvy enough after 25 years of ownership to know how important special teams are. 

Quarterback is the biggest mystery, in my opinion.  Will "the Next Guy" be drafted, or is he already in the NFL?  There is no way to answer that.  I expect the Patriots to be drafting low for as long as Tom Brady is the QB.  So, if the next starter is a draftee, the Patriots will have to move up, or find a so-called diamond in the rough.  Naturally, nobody except the most delusional honk expects the Patriots to unearth the next Tom Brady late in the draft.  He should never have been drafted that low and that was an absolute once in a lifetime situation.  What I think most likely to happen is that the Patriots will draft a quarterback in the middle rounds from a mid-size school, and develop him.  Any QB the Patriots bring in will be required to have a quick release.  I really think that's what McDaniels will be looking for.  They will ease him in by continuing the move towards a ball-control offense and emphasizing time of possession.  Belichick and McDaniels seem to be moving in this direction already to take pressure off Brady, and it will likely take pressure off Brady's heir.  NFL defenses today are built to shut down passing attacks.  They're small and fast.  I think the Patriots will try to take advantage of that by emphasizing size and power - all while keeping opposing blitzkrieg offenses on the sidelines while they march. 

While the Patriots can't possibly maintain this level of greatness/dominance/supremacy forever, I think the personnel and management are in place to guarantee long term success for years to come.  I'm certain that there's a plan in place and the wheels are already in motion.  Not just for next season, but for the 2020s and beyond.  The Dolphins, Jets, and Bills will improve eventually, and the Patriots will slide back to the pack a little bit.  The AFC East will be a rock-fight once again.  It will still be fun to be a Patriots fan.  Not as fun as this - nothing will ever be this fun - but fun all the same.

I have no real inside information, and this is 1000% speculation on my part. 

What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

McDaniels coaches two years in Denver. Belichick coaches 5 years in Cleveland and 1 year in New England before he really put it together. 

I thinj its silly to judge a guy off an extremely short coaching stint nearly a decade ago 

Dude drafted Tim Tebow in the 1st. That's all I need to know that I want nothing to do with him on my team.

Just now, Activated10 said:

That's ridiculous, one draft mistake shouldn't be negative of his whole career 

It's a horrendous and obvious mistake that everyone knew and he just did it to try and look smarter than everyone else and it blew up in his face. It was his signature move during his tenure as head coach and it couldn't have been a more egregious mistake.

1 hour ago, rfournier103 said:

What I think the Patriots will look like after Bill Belichick and Tom Brady retire...

Belichick could possibly maintain some role with the team.  Anything from "Consultant to the Owner" to "Supreme Overlord."  Who knows.  Your guess is as good as mine.

Nick Caserio will continue in his role of "Director of Player Personnel." He has held this position since 2008, and I see no change here as the Kraft family will wish to retain him.  He will likely be given the title of General Manager, Director of Football Operations, or some such.  His power will likely expand.  He's 43 years old and unless there's a major shift in the front office, Caserio will likely remain in Foxborough for a while.

I foresee Josh McDaniels taking the reins as Head Coach.  There's a reason that the Krafts talked him out of taking the Indianapolis job and allegedly made him the highest paid assistant coach in football.  Yes, his tenure in Denver was pretty bad, but I think it might be better the second time around. Remember that time that Bill Belichick coached the Cleveland Browns and it wasn't really all that great?  Remember the 2000 season in New England?  The first two games of the 2001 season?  Sometimes a coach needs time to get his system and his people in place.  For all we know, they could be prepping for the transition as we speak, although I expect Bill Belichick to coach long enough to challenge Don Shula's record of 347 total wins.  He will continue the commitment to fundamentals and "situational football."  McDaniels is a very talented offensive mind, and does have some defensive coaching experience as a Defensive Assistant with the Patriots during the 2002-2003 seasons.  He very well could retain his duties as Offensive Coordinator while Head Coach, or promote and assistant.  This is where the offensive side of the ball gets murky...

Defensive Coordinator is anyone's guess.  It could be someone already on the staff, like Steve Belichick, or someone who will become available in the future.  Should McDaniels become the Head Coach, there is zero doubt that he will rely heavily on his Defensive Coordinator to maintain that side of the ball.

I expect that there will be a very strenuous emphasis on Special Teams in the future just as here in the present.  There is zero chance that the kicking or return game will be neglected.  Even if McDaniels does not become the Head Coach, anyone who ever interviews with the Krafts in the future will be asked about his plans for the so-called 'third phase' of the game.  Bob and Jonathan Kraft are savvy enough after 25 years of ownership to know how important special teams are. 

Quarterback is the biggest mystery, in my opinion.  Will "the Next Guy" be drafted, or is he already in the NFL?  There is no way to answer that.  I expect the Patriots to be drafting low for as long as Tom Brady is the QB.  So, if the next starter is a draftee, the Patriots will have to move up, or find a so-called diamond in the rough.  Naturally, nobody except the most delusional honk expects the Patriots to unearth the next Tom Brady late in the draft.  He should never have been drafted that low and that was an absolute once in a lifetime situation.  What I think most likely to happen is that the Patriots will draft a quarterback in the middle rounds from a mid-size school, and develop him.  Any QB the Patriots bring in will be required to have a quick release.  I really think that's what McDaniels will be looking for.  They will ease him in by continuing the move towards a ball-control offense and emphasizing time of possession.  Belichick and McDaniels seem to be moving in this direction already to take pressure off Brady, and it will likely take pressure off Brady's heir.  NFL defenses today are built to shut down passing attacks.  They're small and fast.  I think the Patriots will try to take advantage of that by emphasizing size and power - all while keeping opposing blitzkrieg offenses on the sidelines while they march. 

While the Patriots can't possibly maintain this level of greatness/dominance/supremacy forever, I think the personnel and management are in place to guarantee long term success for years to come.  I'm certain that there's a plan in place and the wheels are already in motion.  Not just for next season, but for the 2020s and beyond.  The Dolphins, Jets, and Bills will improve eventually, and the Patriots will slide back to the pack a little bit.  The AFC East will be a rock-fight once again.  It will still be fun to be a Patriots fan.  Not as fun as this - nothing will ever be this fun - but fun all the same.

I have no real inside information, and this is 1000% speculation on my part. 

What do you guys think?

I agree that I'm confident the Patriots are going to be fine post Brady and Belichek. They have right people in place to take them to next stage and keep the success happening

17 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's a horrendous and obvious mistake that everyone knew and he just did it to try and look smarter than everyone else and it blew up in his face. It was his signature move during his tenure as head coach and it couldn't have been a more egregious mistake.

He had big ego at the time I agree but give him a chance and see if he's learn from that 

51 minutes ago, rfournier103 said:

Have some confidence in the rest of the football braintrust. 

The Patriots will be fine. 

I believe the Patriots would be the only place where McDaniels could have any success, the groundwork is laid out for him, and I don't feel like he'll be arrogant there.

I think it's going to happen quicker than any of us realize. Mcdaniels will be the next coach of the Patriots. The Patriots should also draft a QB of the future this coming draft. Whatever happens when the Double B's go the Patriots will take a step back.

8 hours ago, lancerman said:

I get what you are saying and your point about Bill Belichick is not irrelevant but I'm not really a strong believer in recycled head coaches. It is the experience that Bill Belichick has that leads me to believe Josh McDaniels could succeed in New England. What has me doubting his ability else where is that he has had opportunities to take jobs elsewhere and for one reason or another has chosen not to. Conventional logic might say well because he wanted to win championships with New England more evolved logic might suggest it's because he wasn't confident in his own ability to the head coach. We will really never know the answer to that question.

I did however say that I believed that Josh McDaniels was the best equipped person to take over the job and taking over this job would be was in his best interest.

I am curious if they would offer Bill Belichick a general manager role if he retired as the head coach and did Josh McDaniels took that spot

Archived