What well by post Brady/Belichick era look like?

VigilantZombie

Dynasties take two forms.

Post Lombardi in GB a quick fall that lasted decades.

Post Paul Brown in Cleveland his long time assistant Blanton Collier took over and put the Browns into successive title games.

Shula in Miami went from strength to strength, changing QBs and retooling from run to pass.

Post Landry in Dallas they quickly changed owners and Jimmy Johnson took over.

Noll in Pittsburgh gave way to other coaches and styles but continued to win.

Post Walsh in SF his long time assistant took them to another SB with Steve Young.

Any sign that Belichick intends to stay?

20 hours ago, lancerman said:

Can we all just recognize that these were the scores in every game Luck's team was eliminated in during the post season.

2012: 24-9

2013: 43-22

2014: 45-7

2018: 31-13

Let's wait until he stops getting blown out every time he runs into a contender

As long as Ballard and Reich are there, I believe Indy is in the right hands. 

Indy wasn't even supposed to be in the Divisional. Ranked #32 before the season so everything after clinching the playoffs was just gravy. Now they're sat currently with the O-line in tact, Mudd back on staff, 9 draft picks and approximately $114mil in cap space. 

I'm not saying things could change next season, but uh.......things can change.

28 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

I saw Brady and New England solidifying an SB trip on KC's home turf.

......or was that the wrong playoffs? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The exact same playoffs where Mahomes and KC dominated the Colts

Indianapolis needs to avoid cold stadiums like Gillette and Arrowhead if they want to make a SB

37 minutes ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Mahomes scored 21 points in 3 minutes on that Patriots defense they just won the coin flip. Isn't anything you can do about that.

Oh yeah that event where 50% of teams that lose the flip win the game? Loser teams can't do anything. The Chiefs aren't a loser team but anyone who says it was just a coin flip is.

You mean just in terms of the Patriots, or in terms of the NFL?

NFL-wise, the Rams are going to be contenders for a long, long time. Whether they become a dynasty or not, I don't know. Jared Goff doesn't really seem to seize the big moment, so to speak. They might be more Peyton Manning era Colts than Belichick's Patriots.

As far as the Patriots are concerned...they will crash and burn once Belichick stops coaching. 

55 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

You mean just in terms of the Patriots, or in terms of the NFL?

NFL-wise, the Rams are going to be contenders for a long, long time. Whether they become a dynasty or not, I don't know. Jared Goff doesn't really seem to seize the big moment, so to speak. They might be more Peyton Manning era Colts than Belichick's Patriots.

As far as the Patriots are concerned...they will crash and burn once Belichick stops coaching. 

Can you please stop posting in the Patriots forum 

1 hour ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Watch out, Belichick loves to "upgrade" offense and makes it more vertical.

In 2017, with Edelmen out, he was successful at turning it more vertical (and Brady won MVP) by signing Brandin Cook. If Brady had played time-control offense, no way would Eagles have scored more than 31 pts in SB and Pats would have won easily.

As Gronk will more likely be out, Belichick will "upgrade" the offense again and make it vertical, and there will be a good chance that Brady will hold balls longer, and you will be able to talk about how Brady can't handle pressure again, something you enjoy very much to show off your expertise.

I think Belichick might go for Shula's once thought of unbreakable record which puts into question how long Josh McDaniels is willing to wait. The earliest Bill can get that record is in 4 more seasons.

Provided McDaniels is the coach I think the team will do well enough. He wasn't terrible with the Broncos by any stretch, he was just given all the cards and blew a 6-0 start and was out the next year. This time around I can't see him doing worse and he'd probably have a long leash. I think if they have a decent enough QB, the team will contend and probably win 1 or 2 titles in a 10 year window. McDaniels was the first guy who Belichick took back if I'm not mistaken and he's been under him now a total 15 years which includes all 6 of their Super Bowl runs.

Could he flop badly with a 3 season leash? Sure, but I don't think so.

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

McDaniels might have some success, some wildcard berths, a division title here and there, but he'll never be dominant like Bill and Brady were. Pats fans will have to adjust. They should be happy with their cities total sport success though.

Of course he won’t be what BB and TB are. They’re both the best ever. 

Most of us get that. 

2 hours ago, MVPatrickMahomes15 said:

Mahomes scored 21 points in 3 minutes on that Patriots defense they just won the coin flip. Isn't anything you can do about that.

Yes there WAS something that the Chiefs could have done about that...

Actually, there were THREE (3) things the Chiefs could have done about that:   

1.  Forced the Patriots to punt. 

2.  Forced a Patriot turnover. 

a. Fumble. 

b. Interception. 

3.  Held the Patriots to a FG. The Chiefs would then be allowed a possession.

Did I miss anything?  I respect the Kansas City Chiefs and their fans, but this “woe is us” nonsense has to stop. If this happened to the Patriots, I’d be pissed at the Defense that gave up the TD - not lamenting a lost coin-toss. Lay the blame where it belongs - squarely on the KC defense. 

1 hour ago, NFLExpert49 said:

As far as the Patriots are concerned... they will crash and burn once Belichick stops coaching. 

You wish. 

47 Super Bowls have been won by a coach not named Bill Belichick. 

One day sooner or later, another coach will guide the Patriots to a title. I’m confident Patriots management will make sure quality coaches will be in place for years to come. 

Archived