BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

There's no stagger of rookies. 3 year deals become RFAs which a large majority of the time get kept on some kind of one year deal. They're all 4 years. The biggest change this would affect is there would basically be no RFA. 

8 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Correct which is an unfair advantage IMO. We shouldn't be placing those types of things in place just because. Before is was a salary cap issue now we are going to not have that issue.

But either way it resolves itself...

2 hours ago, Whicker said:

There's no stagger of rookies. 3 year deals become RFAs which a large majority of the time get kept on some kind of one year deal. They're all 4 years. The biggest change this would affect is there would basically be no RFA. 

Perhaps but the other thing about this is with RSA you are placing a tender on them and it allows people to make a decision on whether or not to trade for them

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Perhaps but the other thing about this is with RSA you are placing a tender on them and it allows people to make a decision on whether or not to trade for them

Exactly I think this RFA system we have is really fun

2 hours ago, Counselor said:

Exactly I think this RFA system we have is really fun

All RFA's don't come about because of the draft they are from players that are claimed as waivers/signed during Shark Tank during their rookie or sophomore seasons and then go through the ERFA-RFA system too. What I want to avoid is situations like Derek Carr and David Johnson which got stupid RFA deals and then eventually got cut because of those stupid deals.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

You cannot trade RFA tendered players. You can only bid on them and then the owner can take that deal you made or take a draft pick.

11 hours ago, PR said:

Well technically that would be kind of null because even if they ended up with a 4 yr contract IRL by the time they come off bdl 5 year there is already a new contract in place. Just gives them an extra year at draft price.

With the way the system currently works a lot of those players sign their extensions in year 5 or after the tag has been instituted in BDL and then it screws up the contract math on our end removing the phantom year 5 BDL 1st rounds eliminated the need to do the extra math.

10 hours ago, Counselor said:

I don’t fear change. I like the system that is in place. And I stated why. So creating false reasoning on my behalf is asinine. 

11 hours ago, Counselor said:

Having to use a 3up for a 5th year option when we only get three 3ups is an absolute no from me. Again I’m sticking to No for 6 and 15

You assumed here that a 5th year option would take up one of your 3ups based off of my comment that wasn't even quantified.  And thus jumped to a conclusion that you would lose a 3 up and voted no.

It was obvious that newer owners and even older ones have no idea how most of the contract rules in the BDL work. Because clarifications were needed by several people last season and the general response was "Ask SirA".

That is a problem IMO. The rules should be clear and straight forward for everyone in order for us to draw in new people and grow. That's why keep having these meetings to tweak things so satisfy corner cases has not worked IMO and the need for a complete overhaul is in order.

I'm talking repeal and replace type rules not just more patches.

As @PR said maybe we can change the way we do the PFA portion of the draft so instead of Waiver claim like, it's almost like a second draft. So in effect it would be just like any other Dynasty League draft with the knowledge of where guys go IRL. Just with a pool of about 100 guys gone already.

It's getting voted down because again no one likes change and everyone wants to keep the good ole boy system in place.

SirA...obviously trying to change this much at once might not happen.  

What if the change we make for the upcoming draft is that PFA choices are made in the same way as normal draft picks(not just a block) and can be traded during the PFA draft?  So basically we have two drafts.  

Then, if that works, and we like it, we can look at maybe removing one round of the regular draft and adding a PFA round for next year.

Also, would it make things easier if we made all draft picks from rounds 1-4 for 4 years and 5-7 for 3 years?

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

SirA...obviously trying to change this much at once might not happen.  

What if the change we make for the upcoming draft is that PFA choices are made in the same way as normal draft picks(not just a block) and can be traded during the PFA draft?  So basically we have two drafts.  

Then, if that works, and we like it, we can look at maybe removing one round of the regular draft and adding a PFA round for next year.

Also, would it make things easier if we made all draft picks from rounds 1-4 for 4 years and 5-7 for 3 years?

I've already stated that I am fine with a gradual approach of PFA's trading this year and implementing a slow roll of the draft change. So starting the new format is fine too.

I would say Rounds 1-5 at 4 years and 6-7 at 3 years so we don't have to go back ad vote on that again if we do get rid of those rounds it would sort it self out at that point.

The big point is that Rounds one needs to be 4 years in order for the contracts to line up and make sense.

13 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

It's getting voted down because again no one likes change and everyone wants to keep the good ole boy system in place

1. People generally don't like change when what they've been doing in the past is something they genuinely enjoy. 

2. "The good ole boy system" comment makes it seem like a portion of the league is being oppressed and held down by our current draft system. Who are these people?

It's clear you don't like the current draft style. You want less unknown variables in your draft. That's fine. But don't make it out to be the league fighting you on this great humanitarian effort or something. Lots of people really like the draft, and that's ok. You don't, and that's also ok.

I'm fine with adjusting the PFA style this year and seeing if people like it. I'm against wholesale changes when it's clear the vast majority really have fun with this style draft.

Archived