Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

14 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Don't say that😢

Dude I just can’t see anyway he leaves. I really thought the disaster that was last year was it. If he survived that and got a promotion then he’s about as untouchable as it gets. 

9 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Dude I just can’t see anyway he leaves. I really thought the disaster that was last year was it. If he survived that and got a promotion then he’s about as untouchable as it gets. 

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts ...

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That would be heartbreaking.

27 minutes ago, Woz said:

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts ...

I’m not getting my hopes up. Free agency is going to be a bore with Bruce chasing scrubs and us doing nothing while other teams improve. We’ll pick from the scraps when everyone else is done and Bruce will talk about how close we are and we will suck again and he’ll probably become President and Headcoach. 

On 3/9/2019 at 7:27 PM, lavar703 said:

That is the Redskins way. Why pay for elite talent when we can overpay for average talent? Seriously, I feel like that slogan should be on a bumper sticker attached to Bruce Allen’s car. 

Yeah, because they’ve really hit it out of the park with their top of the market deals for star players...

As I said in the post you quoted, my usual philosophy is to pay for elite talent and let decent walk away. I’d still like them to pursue CJ Mosley or Jordan Hicks, for example, and that’s the top end of the ILB market. I just think the current safety market is such an aberration that they should make an exception to that rule, because teams are getting quality starters on affordable deals — which is extremely rare in FA. 

And the truth is, even without taking the Redskins’ horrific history with high priced FAs into account, the highest end of the FA market has been riddled with pricey misfires over the last few years. Look at last year’s biggest FA earners: disappointing QBs (Cousins, Keenum, Bradford), WR Sammy Watkins (KC), OT Nate Solder (NYG), CB Trumaine Robinson (NYJ), WR Allen Robinson (CHI), OG Andrew Norwell (JAX), CB Malcolm Butler (TEN), C Ryan Jensen (TB), DT Star Lotulelei (BUF), TE Jimmy Graham (GB). Pretty much a wasteland. I would imagine almost every one of those teams would like to get out of those deals if they could.

The top end in 2017 was better, but there were still a lot of busts. And the vast majority of the top end deals in 2016, the teams have already dumped the player (Malik Jackson, Olivier Vernon, Russell Okung, Brock Osweiler, Kelechi Osemele, Damon Harrison, Sean Smith, Kevin Beachum, Bruce Irvin) or still may (Janoris Jenkins, Josh Norman). 

It’s easy to assume that because a player has been good, he’ll continue to be good. Or that he’ll get even better as he hits his prime. Not always the case. The big name is not always the best investment. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m not getting my hopes up. Free agency is going to be a bore with Bruce chasing scrubs and us doing nothing while other teams improve. We’ll pick from the scraps when everyone else is done and Bruce will talk about how close we are and we will suck again and he’ll probably become President and Headcoach. 

Silver lining: we won't be stuck with any horrific contracts we'll wish never existed in two or three years time?

8 minutes ago, Woz said:

Silver lining: we won't be stuck with any horrific contracts we'll wish never existed in two or three years time?

We don’t delve into free agency, we don’t trade away our players with value that we’re never going to re-sign and yet somehow we still have no cap room. 

Just now, lavar703 said:

We don’t delve into free agency, we don’t trade away our players with value that we’re never going to re-sign and yet somehow we still have no cap room. 

That's because Brice traded away a player with value (and a draft pick) for a 34 year old QB and then gave him a massive contact extension sight unseen.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's because Brice traded away a player with value (and a draft pick) for a 34 year old QB and then gave him a massive contact extension sight unseen.

The cool part will be watching Scherff and Ioannidis walk away next year while we celebrate 3rd round compensation picks. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The cool part will be watching Scherff and Ioannidis walk away next year while we celebrate 3rd round compensation picks. 

Ioannidis leaving is gonna be so annoying. Because you know he is gonna be good elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Scherff, I think they'll re-sign.

Ioannidis walks because I think he wants to the full time starting gig and that's kind of blocked.

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

BTW, the word you want is "console" not "celebrate."

honestly Ill take a 3rd round comp for ioannidis, we will have a lot of money tied into the dline if we sign him, payne, and allen all to new contracts in the future. I want to see settle at Nose and kick payne out on the end if ioannidis is gone after next year

10 hours ago, Woz said:

Hey I think there might have been a few people who were against that move (and the extension) when it happened.

Archived