Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

Just now, lavar703 said:

I’m speaking with the advantage of hindsight. At the time I would’ve been extremely unhappy had they decided to move Robert but even then we should’ve known he didn’t fit the system Jay wanted to run. It would’ve been advantageous considering he still had some intrigue and value left at the time. 

But at even at that point, they still hadn't come out from under the price tag they paid for him. Giving up on him before the last pick went out the door was politically untenable. Plus, even once it became clear he didn't fit here, there was still a substantial part of the fanbase that was going to stan for Griffin no matter what. It would have been that much worse if they had done it a year earlier.

For the record, I’ve dialed back my interest in Collins a little due to what is looking like a bidding war to ensue for him. But I do think he’s a really good player, and I think he’s a lot better in coverage than he’s getting credit for here. Definitely not his forte, but I don’t think he’s a bad cover safety. 

The issue is that I wouldn’t pay huge money for a top-of-the-market safety when we know that the demand for the middle of the safety market will probably be slow (based on last offseason) and will likely result in some bargains based on the glut of options. Especially given that we really need TWO safeties.

I would rather do something like give Adrian Amos an Eric Reid deal (3/$22M) and Tre Boston a Morgan Burnett deal (3/$15M) than give Collins a deal creeping up to Eric Berry territory (6/$78M). 

That goes against my usual philosophy of paying stars and not paying decent starters — but to me, safety is one of those positions where you can get by with two solid guys who have experience and skill sets that mesh with one another. And if you only have one that can play, even really well, they’re gonna find ways to isolate and pick on the weak link on every important play. 

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

For the record, I’ve dialed back my interest in Collins a little due to what is looking like a bidding war to ensue for him. But I do think he’s a really good player, and I think he’s a lot better in coverage than he’s getting credit for here. Definitely not his forte, but I don’t think he’s a bad cover safety. 

The issue is that I wouldn’t pay huge money for a top-of-the-market safety when we know that the demand for the middle of the safety market will probably be slow (based on last offseason) and will likely result in some bargains based on the glut of options. Especially given that we really need TWO safeties.

I would rather do something like give Adrian Amos an Eric Reid deal (3/$22M) and Tre Boston a Morgan Burnett deal (3/$15M) than give Collins a deal creeping up to Eric Berry territory (6/$78M). 

That goes against my usual philosophy of paying stars and not paying decent starters — but to me, safety is one of those positions where you can get by with two solid guys who have experience and skill sets that mesh with one another. And if you only have one that can play, even really well, they’re gonna find ways to isolate and pick on the weak link on every important play. 

That is the Redskins way. Why pay for elite talent when we can overpay for average talent? Seriously, I feel like that slogan should be on a bumper sticker attached to Bruce Allen’s car. 

On 3/5/2019 at 2:23 PM, Woz said:

You know that you and I are in agreement on the "one major signing" per offseason.

However, going after Collins would violate one of my other major free agent roles: don't target top-of-the-market free agent secondary players. It almost never works out for the new team.

I'm with @MKnight82 on this one: why are we targeting a throwback, in the box safety who cannot cover (my Giant coworkers say that he's a "looking for a guy to hit" kind of safety, but not one that can cover anyone)?

On the scale of "Woz's lack of interest in said free agent" (1 to Albert Haynesworth), I think I'm at at a:

do-not-want.jpg

He was playing All pro football when the team had a decent scheme. That team has locker room issues and I think it shows on the field. I’m not saying we don’t but I think Collins here replaces what you lost in DJ but also gels with our Bama culture and he balls out. Plus he wanted to be drafted here so we could get lucky. I love this guy I’m all for it as I was drafting him he’s a heck of a football player. Get a young FS in the draft to pair with him. Johnson the U safety is gonna be a steal in the 5th after running a 4.74!!! Kid can play and has range

I’m all for Collins or Barr. If your going to overpay get a elite talent football player!!!! Not a Stacy McGee or the other lothe list guys we love to pay starter money for 3rd string production!!! Get a good football player then depth signings and go into the draft.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m all for Collins or Barr. If your going to overpay get a elite talent football player!!!! Not a Stacy McGee or the other lothe list guys we love to pay starter money for 3rd string production!!! Get a good football player then depth signings and go into the draft.

I mean really. I find it amusing how some don't want to pay for the top talented free agents and then when we sign cheaper free agents who are projected to maybe develop into good starters w/in a year or 2 of us signing them, they complain about that too...

So, who exactly do these people want to sign?

It's true that Landon Collins isn't a great FS, but he's an elite SS - extension of the LB core - who can cover TEs and others closer to the LOS and is a great tackler!

He's an upgrade over what we had in Swearinger and Collins can cover TEs, something we've struggled to do for as long as I can remember.

I'd rather not have to overpay to get him, but I feel he's worth it and is all-pro caliber. He'll be far worth the money than Norman has proven to be. I'd cut Norman, draft or sign a FA corner - who's less expensive than Norman - and sign Collins in a second. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I mean really. I find it amusing how some don't want to pay for the top talented free agents and then when we sign cheaper free agents who are projected to maybe develop into good starters w/in a year or 2 of us signing them, they complain about that too...

So, who exactly do these people want to sign?

It's true that Landon Collins isn't a great FS, but he's an elite SS - extension of the LB core - who can cover TEs and others closer to the LOS and is a great tackler!

He's an upgrade over what we had in Swearinger and Collins can cover TEs, something we've struggled to do for as long as I can remember.

I'd rather not have to overpay to get him, but I feel he's worth it and is all-pro caliber. He'll be far worth the money than Norman has proven to be. I'd cut Norman, draft or sign a FA corner - who's less expensive than Norman - and sign Collins in a second. 

I agree!!! Here’s my thing. You make a list of the players that fit your team and you put a cap on that players price!!! Going over alittle to get that guy is okay. But settling and overpaying for someone who doesn’t fit or hasn’t proven to be starting caliber is silly. Like nobody wants to get haynesworth burned!!!!! But don’t be that team signing a lazy DT or a aged RB. But you can upgrade positions in FA but you don’t go out and sign a player just to sign a player!!!if you net nothing in FA that’s okay!!! I’d rather sit out completely and be frustrated players don’t want to come here then to pay a player nine out of 10 doesn’t pan out here as we’ve done time and time again. Collins or Barr are upgrades. But I don’t make Barr or Collins top paid at their position either way. Collins is a stud I give him a very competitive offer because it’s easier for a SS to translate success switching teams then a back end FS. Barr is just a really good football player with the type of attitude I like high motor excellent ability. But again that’s a right price type move he probably is less likely to take IMO compared to Collins and the fact their are a lot of other players at the saftey spot so I’d make Collins my priority signing then make depth moves and make my draft board

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Except, per my Giants' contacts, he cannot cover. Great tackler, sure, but if the guy gets beyond five or seven yards past the line of scrimmage, does help you?

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Also, this is crazy. Cutting a corner to sign an in-the-box safety? Why??

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Except, per my Giants' contacts, he cannot cover. Great tackler, sure, but if the guy gets beyond five or seven yards past the line of scrimmage, does help you?

Ask him what he means by ”cannot cover?” I’m sure he means deep. It's true, Collins never been a good deep coverage safety but he can cover TEs and things closer to the line.

And yes, I think if a safety can cover things within 10-15 yards and make sure tackles around the line of scrimmage like an extra linebacker, that's definitely helpful. If it wasn't helpful, he wouldn't have been an All-Pro a few years ago. 

He's a great player, we should want to add great players to our team. He's definitely a better safety than the one we cut last December which some people still complain about.

Boy am I excited for free agency. We’ve created no cap room, haven’t signed a long term deal with Scherff and traded for Case Keenum. I better start scouting back ups and super scrubs because while everyone else is busy getting better we’ll be letting all of our free agents walk and doing nothing to replace them. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Boy am I excited for free agency. We’ve created no cap room, haven’t signed a long term deal with Scherff and traded for Case Keenum. I better start scouting back ups and super scrubs because while everyone else is busy getting better we’ll be letting all of our free agents walk and doing nothing to replace them. 

Lol Bruce and Jay might actually do some work this offseason with thier jobs possibly on the line. Keenum is a upgrade over McCoy and could be trade bait for Murray. I think they are up to something I just don't know what. Interested to see though. 

24 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Lol Bruce and Jay might actually do some work this offseason with thier jobs possibly on the line. Keenum is a upgrade over McCoy and could be trade bait for Murray. I think they are up to something I just don't know what. Interested to see though. 

Bruce Allen’s job isn’t on the line. He’ll leave when he feels like it. 

Archived