Keenum trade talk

LoganF89

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Why wouldn’t the Cards had just traded for Keenum if they wanted him? 

Let's assume for a moment the Cardinals are going to draft Murray first overall because if this is a smokescreen then this is all for nothing.

The draft isn't for another six or seven weeks. Currently, the Cardinals have two quarterbacks on their roster: Josh Rosen and Charles Kanoff. We know who Rosen is, so a bit on Kanoff: UDFA out of Princeton the Cardinals signed on May 1, cut on September 1, signed to their practice squad on September 2, activated on November 24, cut and re-signed to their practice squad on November 29, and then signed to a reserve/futures contract on December 31. In other words, a random guy.

This means that the Cardinals will likely be in the market for a veteran QB to act as a mentor (and if Murray should get hurt, to step in and not have their entire season tank ... again). Problem is that the market for veteran QBs looks a bit thin. Nick Foles is almost assuredly heading to Jacksonville. It's unlikely Teddy Bridgewater comes to Arizona since he still wants a shot at a starting gig. Tyrod Taylor would be an okay backup, but he's rumored to be heading to Baltimore as he projects to be an ideal back up to Lamar Jackson (the offense probably wouldn't have to change much at all in the event of an injury). They just cut Mike Glennon so he's out. Maybe you could coax Josh McCown to pick up the clipboard one more time for about $10M (keep in mind McCown is older than Kingsbury), or Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Cassel. So, Arizona would need to target one of the "veteran QBs" who would be willing to be paid to not start ... and do it quickly since there's only a handful of them that would be worth paying for unless they want to be forced to sign a Geno Smith, Joe Webb, Marc Sanchez, Brock Osweiler, or Brandon Weeden.

At the same time, Case Keenum is a veteran QB who Kliff Kingsbury coached in college for four years (two as offensive QC, two as co-offensive coordinator/QB coach). This would be the ideal candidate for Arizona ... except A) he was under contract with Denver, B) he had a $21M cap number ($18M if he was traded), and C) it was unclear if he would come to Arizona to be a backup after being a starter for two and a half years if he were cut. So, while he would be a pretty good fit, there didn't seem to be a way to get him.

Then, magically, Washington made a deal with Denver that is rumored to have lowered Keenum's cap to just $3.5M (a smidge more than Fitzpatrick made last year). At the same time, Washington has talked to you about trading for Josh Rosen. If they had Rosen, they wouldn't need Keenum as they had their veteran backup in McCoy. So, there's a pathway where Washington, having just gotten Keenum and gotten Keenum to take a steep reduction in his cap number (and got Denver to fund that reduction), could turn around and ship Keenum to Arizona as part of a deal for Rosen.

Why didn't Arizona do the same deal? Because Keenum could see that he would almost assuredly not be starting in Arizona so he would have had no incentive to give up $14M for just $500K. In Washington, all he would have to do is beat out Glass Jaw McCoy and No One Really Wants Him Johnson. What he wouldn't have counted on is Washington turning right around and dealing him to a situation he didn't want to be in.

Of course, all of this is predicated on the idea that Washington is run by intelligent people in the front office. That and Arizona is willing to part with Rosen at a loss price Washington is willing to pay.

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

The only thing okay with this trade is the fact that idc what QB is sitting there this year if Devin white or any of the elite defenders are there we have to take them!!!

Completely agree. As I said, Keenum is not going to set the world on fire but he's at least not a complete laugher at the position. If they cannot come to an agreement with Arizona for Rosen and they don't like their options, they aren't forced to draft a QB now.

5 hours ago, Woz said:

Completely agree. As I said, Keenum is not going to set the world on fire but he's at least not a complete laugher at the position. If they cannot come to an agreement with Arizona for Rosen and they don't like their options, they aren't forced to draft a QB now.

What I do like actually about Keenum and it kinda is the only reason I like Lock is I think Keenum will toss a ball up and that could maximize maybe Doctson giving us some kind of return on the investment maybe

On 3/10/2019 at 8:35 PM, ripsean21 said:

What I do like actually about Keenum and it kinda is the only reason I like Lock is I think Keenum will toss a ball up and that could maximize maybe Doctson giving us some kind of return on the investment maybe

It can also lead to more turnovers. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It can also lead to more turnovers. 

It could also lead to Diggs type plays that got them over the Saints. You drafted Doctson to make those type plays, and Keenum is more likely to give him those opportunities. Don't you want to see if he can live up to being drafted in the 1st round? 

48 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

It could also lead to Diggs type plays that got them over the Saints. You drafted Doctson to make those type plays, and Keenum is more likely to give him those opportunities. Don't you want to see if he can live up to being drafted in the 1st round? 

I've seen our past two QBs throw Doctson balls and him drop them; whether they were 50/50 balls or what should be a routine catch for an NFL wide receiver. The issue has been more inconsistency with Doctson rather than who’s throwing him the ball.  I hope he shocks me and starts making the easy/routine catches and more 50/50 catches but I don't expect it.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I've seen our past two QBs throw Doctson balls and him drop them; whether they were 50/50 balls or what should be a routine catch for an NFL wide receiver. The issue has been more inconsistency with Doctson rather than who’s throwing him the ball.  I hope he shocks me and starts making the easy/routine catches and more 50/50 catches but I don't expect it.

Keenum flat out will give Doctson a opportunity to prove his worth IMO. 

On 3/15/2019 at 6:49 PM, Skins212689 said:

As have our former QBs at times and Doctson failed. Multiple 50/50 drops in each of the past 3 years and a few drops on routine balls.

Again, I hope Doctson steps up, but that’s not more on him than it was on our past QBs or will be on Keenum.

I could go through all the chances Kirk & Alex gave Doctson but he failed to make the play, but it’d take a while.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

As have our former QBs at times and Doctson failed. Multiple 50/50 drops in each of the past 3 years and a few drops on routine balls.

Again, I hope Doctson steps up, but that more on him than it was on our past QBs or on Keenum.

I could go through all the chances Kirk & Alex gave Doctson but he failed to make the play, but it’d take a while.

Ok

14 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

If Cam Sims shows out during the off-season and then again during the preseason I'm willing to bet Doctson is dumped off for a late round pick. I can't imagine them wasting much more time with him. They may actually have something with Cam Sims and it took pure dumb luck to come up with it. 

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If Cam Sims shows out during the off-season and then again during the preseason I'm willing to bet Doctson is dumped off for a late round pick. I can't imagine them wasting much more time with him. They may actually have something with Cam Sims and it took pure dumb luck to come up with it. 

We shall see. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

According to the local beat guys they were trying to dump Doctson last off-season and had no takers.

Cool and if they just let him go, I'd look forward to see what he would do with a QB like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Mayfield, Allen, Mariota, Winston, ect guys willing to throw up 50/50 balls. Doctson IMO has shown flashes and just need a QB willing to give him opportunities. McCoy, Cousins, nor Smith really did that. 

Archived