Patriots acquire Michael Bennett from Eagles

Nick_gb

On 3/8/2019 at 10:13 PM, childofpudding said:

I'd still like to keep Flowers. He and Bennett on the same D line would be sick. Could get a good DE rotation going like Philly had the year they won the SB. D carry us to another ring please

The chances of that are slim to none. Flowers has his rings, is young, and, as the best pass rusher available, he is going to get paid. 

1 hour ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

The chances of that are slim to none. Flowers has his rings, is young, and, as the best pass rusher available, he is going to get paid. 

Not sure about that. Features on him have talked about how he really isnt about the money. If NE gives him a good deal he might stay, even if it isnt the best deal. Similar to a couple years ago with Hightower, who reportedly was offered more money to go elsewhere but stayed with NE anyway. I can hope anyway...

On 3/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, Kiwibrown said:

They do have cap issues  they were over the cap for a while I think. 

We are pretty in the clear with everything, have like $25 mil
Could be more if they don't option Jason Peters or he retires.

I think they just wanted to move him. I forgot that he kinda raised a stink about playing time last year before Derek Barnett got hurt. 
With him coming back, Long wanting more snaps, Graham extended and a rookie likely getting added to tag team that 4th spot with Josh Sweat...it probably would've been a bit of an issue at some point.

Graham came back cheaper for more years than the raise Bennett wanted or what they would get any FA in on. His extending this early really made Bennett easier to move on from.

He was a really good teammate and competitor...sucks to lose him, but writing was on the wall a bit.

7 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

He is going to get paid. It will come down to what he values more. NE will make him a good offer of around 15 APY. They valued Gilmore at 13 and considering Flowers is younger and homegrown their offer will be slightly higher. He will get offers up to 18 APY though from TN, DET, MIA, NYJ and maybe IND. If the guaranteed money is high I could see him sticking with NE for 15 APY but obviously far from a guarantee.

34 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

He is going to get paid. It will come down to what he values more. NE will make him a good offer of around 15 APY. They valued Gilmore at 13 and considering Flowers is younger and homegrown their offer will be slightly higher. He will get offers up to 18 APY though from TN, DET, MIA, NYJ and maybe IND. If the guaranteed money is high I could see him sticking with NE for 15 APY but obviously far from a guarantee.

In 2017, the Patriots had 60 million in cap space. Signing Gilmore was accordingly very easy to accomplish. 

As as we sit here today, the Patriots have less than 14 million in cap space. Yes, they can make some room, but they have not addressed wide receiver, tightend, defensive tackle, offensive tackle, cornerback, or depth at any position. To create space they’d need to make some serious cuts and restructures. It can be done, but it seems very much unlike Belichick to do that. 

2 minutes ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

In 2017, the Patriots had 60 million in cap space. Signing Gilmore was accordingly very easy to accomplish. 

As as we sit here today, the Patriots have less than 14 million in cap space. Yes, they can some room, but they have not addressed wide receiver, tightend, defensive tackle, offensive tackle, or any other position. 

They are sitting at 16.5 right now. (https://twitter.com/patscap?lang=de

They can make enough room through restructures, cuts and extensions to absorb a roughly 10-11M caphit in 2019 from Flowers.

The deciding factor will be the value. Is it there with Flowers? I have my doubts honestly and that's why I think he will leave but they can afford him in theory.

I have heard from local scribes how Flowers is the best on the market.  I don't here the national guys saying the same things you here locally.  I here that he is one of many at that position available and they all bring up he has only 7 sacks.

I'm concerned (breaking the bank) with Dolphin, Jets and Detroit,  not so much other teams

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I have heard from local scribes how Flowers is the best on the market.  I don't here the national guys saying the same things you here locally.  I here that he is one of many at that position available and they all bring up he has only 7 sacks.

I'm concerned (breaking the bank) with Dolphin, Jets and Detroit,  not so much other teams

Nationally they are saying he is the best or among the best:

Number 1:

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

number 3/top DE:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018706/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-demarcus-lawrence-at-no-1

Number 6/top DE:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/26134375/top-100-nfl-free-agents-2019-ranking-best-players-market

23 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Appreciate the effort however there  are thousand + opinions out there.  My opinion was based on things I have read and heard.

36 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Appreciate the effort however there  are thousand + opinions out there.  My opinion was based on things I have read and heard.

I mean yeah, I suppose  there thousands of sources out there (if you include twitter and people with random blogs), but you said the “national guys” are saying he is one of many at the position. Universally national sources appear to be ranking him at the top of this class and the top Edge. I just haven’t seen any large national publication say he is anything other than the top edge. 

Archived