Mosley Going to the Jets

coordinator0

14 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

10% of our cap on CJ Mosley would have been dumb. He's just not that great. 

Most good players on a team at any point in time will be on rookie deals that are just going to be around 1% of the cap. The only thing cap is good for is keeping a select few players who provide significant value over replacement 5+ years into their career. There's not that many players.

There is no path for "smartly" allocating $200M according to people current perceptions.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

Most good players on a team at any point in time will be on rookie deals that are just going to be around 1% of the cap. The only thing cap is good for is keeping a select few players who provide significant value over replacement 5+ years into their career. There's not that many players.

There is no path for "smartly" allocating $200M according to people current perceptions.

I think you spend big on guys who are legitimately elite difference makers. Mosley just isn't that. He's probably elite as an ILB but it doesn't even matter that much to have an elite ILB anymore, and he's one dimensional. Literally the offense he'd be most helpful defending against is our own. 

6 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

You don't pay someone borderline QB money for 'intangibles' and 'smarts.' 

I definitely think the brain drain is real right now but savvy veterans on the downsides of their careers are gonna be exactly the kinds of signings we'll be able to make in this market for cheaper and I'd rather do that than throw it all at Mosley because of 'muh leadership.' 

Among ILBs since he came in to the league, 3rd in FF, 6th in FR, 3rd in Passes Defended, 3rd in Ints, 5th in sacks,  2nd in QB hits, almost certainly near the top im run stuffs behind the LoS...

But just leadership though...

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I think you spend big on guys who are legitimately elite difference makers. Mosley just isn't that. He's probably elite as an ILB but it doesn't even matter that much to have an elite ILB anymore, and he's one dimensional. Literally the offense he'd be most helpful defending against is our own. 

Yes it does. Look at the impact Kuechly and Wagner have on their respective defenses. It matters. Mosley isn't that, and it shows. 

Other than that I agree, you spend big on guys who are truly difference makers, and tbh our defense was FILLED with above-average players, but few real difference makers. Mosley when he entered the league WAS a difference maker, but over the past couple of years he's just been another guy on a great defense - and he's had the luxury of having Brandon Williams and Michael Pierce in front of him. He won't have that in NYJ.

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Among ILBs since he came in to the league, 3rd in FF, 6th in FR, 3rd in Passes Defended, 3rd in Ints, 5th in sacks,  2nd in QB hits, almost certainly near the top im run stuffs behind the LoS...

But just leadership though...

What do those numbers look like for the past 2-3 years?

He's lost a lot of explosiveness since his first couple of years in the league and it shows. 

11 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

What do those numbers look like for the past 2-3 years?

He's lost a lot of explosiveness since his first couple of years in the league and it shows. 

This is just me pulling rough numbers from PFR so this isn't exact, but using this query here's what I got for 2017-2018:

15th in Sacks

3rd in Solo Tackles

8th in Assisted Tackles

4th in Combined Tackles

5th in TFL

11th in QB Hits

Then if I expand to Fumbles Recovered we have:

4th in Forced Fumbles

Then if I expand to INT's we have:

5th in INT's

4th in PD's

So to compare these with the previous:

3rd in FF, 6th in FR, 3rd in Passes Defended, 3rd in Ints, 5th in sacks,  2nd in QB hits

FF's went from 3rd to 4th.

FR's who really cares because that's not a skill stat but he's 7th in that so from 6th to 7th.

PD's he went from 3rd to 4th

INT's he went from 3rd to 5th

Sacks he went from 5th to 15th(!!!!)

QB Hits he went from 2nd to 11th

EDIT: If you expand the query to 2016-2018, Mosley's sack numbers really drop off, and he falls to 5th in solo tackles and 8th in TFL's as well as 13th in QB Hits. He moves up to 2nd in INT's and 3rd in PD's, though.

Thank god EDC didn't pay him. You need modern off ball linebackers to do 3 things, run-cover-blitz. Kenny Young and Peanut are better then Mosley in all 3 areas. No, that doesn't mean Mosley is a "bad" player. It just means it would've been dumb for us to pay him. 

With his vulnerability in coverage, lack of splash plays, lack of sideline to sideline speed, inconsistent trigger, and soft play style- there was no justification for paying him imo. Not with two capable options behind him. Very similar to the Brandon Williams situation. Don't overpay for limited/non-ideal skill sets, especially when you have capable options behind them.

So happy Eric was 10 toes down on this, good work from our GM. 

I think I read some tweet the other day like number of splashy free agent signings playoff teams from last year have made so far: 0.

Point is good teams find the right players at the right price who fit their scheme. Bad teams continue to stockpile and overpay talent in hopes of getting better.

I'm okay with what ED has done so far in FA, and not massively overpaying an ILB with obvious coverage deficiencies isn't exactly something to get up in arms about, especially considering we have two talented young players in Kenny and Peanut at the same position. I'll be curious to see how the rest of FA shakes out, but I'm going to go ahead and put my trust in the man who's been learning behind the great Ozzie Newsome.

3 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

and not massively overpaying an ILB with obvious coverage deficiencies isn't exactly something to get up in arms about, especially considering we have two talented young players in Kenny and Peanut at the same position.

It's very similar to the Brandon Williams situation. Talented young player(s) behind him, and his skill set is devalued in today's game. That contract was stupid, and this one would've been too. 

The Jets will pay 17 mill next year to watch Mosley get torched by Andrews & Hurst. Enjoy, dopes.

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think I read some tweet the other day like number of splashy free agent signings playoff teams from last year have made so far: 0.

Point is good teams find the right players at the right price who fit their scheme. Bad teams continue to stockpile and overpay talent in hopes of getting better.

I'm okay with what ED has done so far in FA, and not massively overpaying an ILB with obvious coverage deficiencies isn't exactly something to get up in arms about, especially considering we have two talented young players in Kenny and Peanut at the same position. I'll be curious to see how the rest of FA shakes out, but I'm going to go ahead and put my trust in the man who's been learning behind the great Ozzie Newsome.

IIRC, didn't the Rams make several "splashy" free agent acquisitions / trades (Suh, Brandin Cooks, Aqib Talib, etc.)?

But I mean yeah on the whole successful teams build through the draft and bad teams try to build through FA. It's always been that way.

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

IIRC, didn't the Rams make several "splashy" free agent acquisitions / trades (Suh, Brandin Cooks, Aqib Talib, etc.)?

But I mean yeah on the whole successful teams build through the draft and bad teams try to build through FA. It's always been that way.

To be fair only Suh was a FA signing. Both Cooks and Talib were traded for. But yeah the overall point still holds true.

23 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

False negative correlation between using FA and being able to do stuff in the draft. You may gain/lose a couple picks with the comp pick system, but that's it.

The Ravens have always been a team that gets a lot of productivity out of medium priced veteran pickups from other teams.

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

False negative correlation between using FA and being able to do stuff in the draft. You may gain/lose a couple picks with the comp pick system, but that's it.

The Ravens have always been a team that gets a lot of productivity out of medium priced veteran pickups from other teams.

Because we don't build our team through FA. We build through the draft, and supplement via FA which is why we get great production from our FA's - because none of them are corner pieces of the team and we're not overpaying any of them.

Archived