Green Bay expected to sign Za'Darius Smith

SBLIII

On 3/13/2019 at 4:25 AM, Damikeeeee said:

Kudos GB. My early favorite for worst contract. Followed by Preston Smith. I don't count the Bills overpay they don't have a choice. 

Green Bay doesn't have a choice but to overpay as well. Small town Green Bay isn't the ideal destination for millionaires in their 20's ... If the money is equal with a larger market team 9 out of 10 times they're going there. I can see how it would be easy for you to not consider that though.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ketchup said:

Is it though? I don’t think we are super bowl favorites but if stuff hits right with the new HC, Rodgers healthy and the defense improving with these additions, we could easily be SB favorites. That said, it could just as easily go the other way. 

If it could easily go the other way...then they aren't favorites at all. 

On 3/13/2019 at 1:47 PM, KManX89 said:

Not against the cap, though: 

$7.25 mil in yr1 is a steal for this guy considering he had 8.5 sacks while not even a full time starter.

year 1 looks great... the rest not so much. Hes getting paid like a star even in relation to this fa class, GB is betting big that both him and Preston will continue to improve. If they dont, then GB is not looking pretty. I guess they have to do this to try and cash in on what they have left of Rodgers best.

36 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

year 1 looks great... the rest not so much. Hes getting paid like a star even in relation to this fa class, GB is betting big that both him and Preston will continue to improve. If they dont, then GB is not looking pretty. I guess they have to do this to try and cash in on what they have left of Rodgers best.

they can get out after year two. get out very easily after year three. fwiw. but yeah it's definitely an overpay. not that mad about it at the moment personally. 

On 3/13/2019 at 1:47 PM, KManX89 said:

Not against the cap, though: 

$7.25 mil in yr1 is a steal for this guy considering he had 8.5 sacks while not even a full time starter.

His cap hits skyrocket afterwords, though. $17.25M in year 2 and $20.75M in years 3 and 4. Cutting him after this season would results in $30M dead money ($15M if you want to cut in year 3, $5M prior to year 4). So even if he’s playing reasonably well - but not at the level of a great pass rusher - Smith will be hard to justify keeping with those figures.

It’s a FA deal, it is what it is. I like the Packers being more aggressive.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, SBLIII said:

always thought he would be a 10 million per year player. FA has been wild.

If you think any competent EDGE is signing for $10M or less, you might want to go recheck what your expectations.  If you're a good EDGE, you're not hitting FA.  You're either getting extended prior to FA or you're getting the franchise tag slapped on you.  You think it's any coincidence that 4 of the 6 guys who were franchise tagged were pass rushers?  No.  You don't let quality pass rushers hit FA.  And the halfway competent ones get overpaid (see Olivier Vernon).

On 3/13/2019 at 12:45 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

lmfaoooooo he robbed them blind

I'd suggest looking at the structure before making any real definitive opinion.  Might actually help in situations like this.  He's got a cap hit of $7.25M this year, which is pretty nice to have for a pass rusher before it balloons to $17.25M next year.  The Packers can get out from underneath that contract after the 2020 season, but they'd eat $10M in dead cap and save almost $11M by releasing him.  If Za'Darius does go backwards, that's not an insane amount of money they're missing out on.  It'd essentially make the contract a 2 year, $34.5M deal which isn't insane by any means.  But given that the Packers have been trying to acquire Za'Darius for some time now, and we have Milt Hendrickson in the FO (former Ravens' FO personnel), I'd venture a guess that this is probably one of their more comfortable signings.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If you think any competent EDGE is signing for $10M or less, you might want to go recheck what your expectations.  If you're a good EDGE, you're not hitting FA.  You're either getting extended prior to FA or you're getting the franchise tag slapped on you.  You think it's any coincidence that 4 of the 6 guys who were franchise tagged were pass rushers?  No.  You don't let quality pass rushers hit FA.  And the halfway competent ones get overpaid (see Olivier Vernon).

well, Flowers didn't get extended or franchised.

Once FA came closer I realized even Smith would get a ton of money but thought during the season you could pick up a rotational defender for a fairly reasonable deal. Wasn't the case ultimately.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

His cap hits skyrocket afterwords, though. $17.25M in year 2 and $20.75M in years 3 and 4. Cutting him after this season would results in $30M dead money ($15M if you want to cut in year 3, $5M prior to year 4). So even if he’s playing reasonably well - but not at the level of a great pass rusher - Smith will be hard to justify keeping with those figures.

It’s a FA deal, it is what it is. I like the Packers being more aggressive.

They're not cutting him after Y1.  They don't save any money.  It's a 2 year deal and then they have what amounts to a $10M option to retain him.  If they want to move on, they eat $10M in dead cap which they're currently doing with Nick Perry (although it's actually $11M+).  If things go south, they'll move on.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're not cutting him after Y1.  They don't save any money.  It's a 2 year deal and then they have what amounts to a $10M option to retain him.  If they want to move on, they eat $10M in dead cap which they're currently doing with Nick Perry (although it's actually $11M+).  If things go south, they'll move on.

...which reinforces that the contract is hardly a “steal”. It’s a FA-market deal.

1 minute ago, SBLIII said:

well, Flowers didn't get extended or franchised.

Once FA came closer I realized even Smith would get a ton of money but thought during the season you could pick up a rotational defender for a fairly reasonable deal. Wasn't the case ultimately.

Honestly, I'd push him more towards the competent spectrum than the good, but that might just be me.  But look at the structure of the Flowers' contract.  If the Lions cut him after Y1, they eat $33.6M in dead cap which far outweighs his $16.7M cap hit.  If you release him after Y2, you're eating $16.8M in dead cap and his cap hit that year would be nearly $20M.  That $3.2M they'd save isn't going to find you a replacement in FA, so unless you're developing a pass rusher or two he's likely back for a 3rd year.  Releasing him after Y3 and the Lions save ~$12M.  It's essentially a 3 year, $54.4M deal as opposed to Za'Darius 2 year, $34.5M deal.  I'm easily taking Za'Darius because of that contract.  Za'Darius had more TFL, QB hits, and sacks than Trey Flowers did last year, but Flowers' track record is longer which is why he got more.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

...which reinforces that the contract is hardly a “steal”. It’s a FA-market deal.

Was anyone advocating him being a steal?  It's a steal if he continues on the projectory he is currently on.  He went from 9 PFF pressures (sacks+TFL+QB hits) in 2016 to 22.5 in 2017 to 43.5 last year.  And looking at his snap counts, he played 494 snaps in 2016, 532 snaps in 2017, and 690 snaps last year.  That comes down to a pressure every 55 snaps in 2016, a pressure every 23.6 snaps in 2017, and a pressure every 15.9 snaps.  It's clear the Packers view Za'Darius as an ascending player.  Just for comparison, Trey Flowers got a pressure every 20.1 snaps.

Archived