Packers sign OL Billy Turner

Nick_gb

On 3/12/2019 at 11:43 AM, Packerraymond said:

That's his entire signing bonus + base salary. So let's say he got 8m bonus, that makes his year 1 cap hit 5m because you can prorate the bonuses.

These beat writers just confuse people with the numbers they posted because they don't really explain with any context.

Either that or you're putting lipstick on a pig. 

Just now, Damikeeeee said:

I get that but it's a big check to write for 2 years. GB is writing huge checks to kick the tires on guys getting better. 

I mean, ~$7M in dead cap isn't that bad.  The Packers are sitting in a pretty clean cap situation.  They can release him and feel pretty good.  I'd imagine either him or Lane Taylor is gone next offseason.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, ~$7M in dead cap isn't that bad.  The Packers are sitting in a pretty clean cap situation.  They can release him and feel pretty good.  I'd imagine either him or Lane Taylor is gone next offseason.

Unless they suck that makes no sense. It's like the Bulaga situation, an equal caliber replacement is going to cost more and more every year so why would you cut them??

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Unless they suck that makes no sense. It's like the Bulaga situation, an equal caliber replacement is going to cost more and more every year so why would you cut them??

I think I mentioned it in the other thread, I'd imagine that Lane Taylor is the cap casualty next offseason.  If they replace Lane Taylor after next year, the Packers save ~$4.75M.  If they release Billy Turner, they save a bit under $1M.  Billy Turner will almost assuredly be back unless things go horribly wrong.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think I mentioned it in the other thread, I'd imagine that Lane Taylor is the cap casualty next offseason.  If they replace Lane Taylor after next year, the Packers save ~$4.75M.  If they release Billy Turner, they save a bit under $1M.  Billy Turner will almost assuredly be back unless things go horribly wrong.

Yeah but Lane Taylor on the open market is worth 6-7m as evidenced by Turner. What are you truly saving? Unless we take a guard in the first 4 rounds there's absolutely no reason to cut Taylor.

Archived