2019 RDT

DreamKid

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Confused as to how a player can get a sack without it qualifying as a pressure. Not sure I understand the terminology.

A Sack, Hit, and Hurry are all pressures. It looks like Ken is classifying separately though as Pressure(Hurry), QBH, and Sack. Just to show the type of pressure players were getting or something. 

On 9/11/2019 at 1:20 AM, diamondbull424 said:

What makes you feel like he would be a candidate?

He's a bit older than a typical second contract guy and he seems like he may be a bit of a knucklehead.  That said, he is very versatile in the pass rush / TE coverage role and appears to be our best edge guy.  Franchise tag would allow us to get a full year of production in what should be the middle of his prime without committing to him long-term.

Wink's ability to scheme pressure remains elite, and lesser QBs will consistently crumble against us. Spectacular QBs and select spectacular plays from regular QBs will provide issues(As they do for any defense). Especially when we experience coverage lapses like we have. The only truly great QBs we have left on the schedule though are Tom Brady and Russell Wilson. And while the run of Week: 11 Texans - Week: 12: @ Rams - Week: 13 49ers will present some challenges, we aren't exactly looking at a hellscape the rest of the season. 

So sure, aspects of the defense have underwhelmed to start the season 100%. And losing Tavon Young was an almighty buzzkill. This isn't and won't be a pushover unit we're fielding though. Expect everyone to round into form, just as they did last season, and ascend to their full potential. We knew there would be a feeling out process, for the defense especially, with so much turnover. And thus far that's what we've seen. 

I mean the prospect of teams taking advantage of Maurice Canady, Anthony Averret, and Tony Jefferson(With a strategically unsound assignment). Doesn't exactly scare me going forward. On Mecole Hardman's long TD catch for example, Marlon was on the sideline. The high expectations for this defense were never built upon the shoulders of our (To start the 2019 Season)5th String and Practice Squad CBs.....

Jimmy will come back. Marlon will heal up. And Wink will be forced to play our DBs to their strengths. Regardless of his errors to this point, he doesn't strike me as the kind of DC to continue employing a failing strategy. I also believe Earl Thomas will have no issues speaking his mind on the subject- to force changes if need be. Our issues to this point have been largely self inflicted and luck related. Everything will come together and by the end of the season I think we'll be looking at a defensive force that seemed far from our grasp sitting here now at the start of Week 4. Who knows,...maybe Ramsey will be a Raven by then too^_^. I don't think our FO's interest has exactly waned after that KC game and with another one of our CBs sustaining an injury(Marlon/However Severe).

Here's something we can do so our defense doesn't suck:

RE: Judon/Williams
NT: Williams/Pierce/Mack
DT: Wormley/Ricard
LE: McPhee/Ferguson
WLB: Levine/Young
MLB: Onwuasor/Fort
SLB: Board/Bowser

RCB: Canady
FS: Thomas
SS: Clark (green dot)
NCB: Carr
LCB: Humphrey

The smartest, most motivated, fundamentally sound, hardest workers on the field. I know it's not going to happen but I still wanted to get it out there.

Edited by BareYourTeeth

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Here's something we can do so our defense doesn't suck:

RE: Judon/Williams
NT: Williams/Pierce/Mack
DT: Wormley/Ricard
LE: McPhee/Ferguson
WLB: Levine/Young
MLB: Onwuasor/Fort
SLB: Board/Bowser

RCB: Canady
FS: Thomas
SS: Clark (green dot)
NCB: Carr
LCB: Humphrey

The smartest, most motivated, fundamentally sound, hardest workers on the field. I know it's not going to happen but I still wanted to get it out there.

Replace Clark with Elliott and you have something there.