NFL News & General Info Thread

Kiltman

6 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Wait.  That's something to be happy about?  Not sure I'd be celebrating having to go up against the dude who led the league in passer rating last year.  JMO.

Smith, Dak, Eli sre all good enough to win, but not good enough to win anything significant. So the whole division will be comfortably average for the forseeable future 

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Smith, Dak, Eli sre all good enough to win, but not good enough to win anything significant.

Lol.  I'm glad you're so sure.  Just like I'm sure no one thought Foles would ever "win anything significant".

13 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Lol.  I'm glad you're so sure.  Just like I'm sure no one thought Foles would ever "win anything significant".

Cmon man. None of those guys can stand on their own, you know that. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

Cmon man. None of those guys can stand on their own, you know that. 

Do they have to?  All will likely have strong running games as well.  And the Giants and Redskins have the potential to have top 10 defenses this year.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Foles had one of the most complete rosters in the league around him....but sure 

2 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Do they have to?  All will likely have strong running games as well.  And the Giants and Redskins have the potential to have top 10 defenses this year.

Yes. 

You have to have some component damn near elite if you're QB is average. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

You have to have some component damn near elite if you're QB is average. 

There are definitely examples of that not being the case.  Not to mention, leading the league in passer rating last year is far from average.  Also, any of these QBs could get hot for a few games if they make the playoffs, as Eli has proven twice.

10 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

There are definitely examples of that not being the case.  Not to mention, leading the league in passer rating last year is far from average.  Also, any of these QBs could get hot for a few games if they make the playoffs, as Eli has proven twice.

You can list some examples and we can discuss. 

And Sam Bradford set the league record in completion percentage. So what? Leading the league in passer rating =/= being elite or even great. Just means you're safe for the most part. You've seen elite/great QB play. Alex Smith wouldn't be on his third team if he was. He's on the better tier of average but he's about as unimpressive as they come. 

Yea, they can get "hot" but they need something to get them to the playoffs in order for that to actually happen. Because the QB play won't be carrying any one of them. Maybe you can hold out hope for Dak because he could have a bounce back year but the other guys having NFL successes are through. 

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

You can list some examples and we can discuss. 

And Sam Bradford set the league record in completion percentage. So what? Leading the league in passer rating =/= being elite or even great. Just means you're safe for the most part. You've seen elite/great QB play. Alex Smith wouldn't be on his third team if he was. He's on the better tier of average but he's about as unimpressive as they come. 

Yea, they can get "hot" but they need something to get them to the playoffs in order for that to actually happen. Because the QB play won't be carrying any one of them. Maybe you can hold out hope for Dak because he could have a bounce back year but the other guys having NFL successes are through. 

Eli Manning (x2) and Flacco.  Neither had elite defenses in the season they won SB's.

And comparing leading the league in completion percentage to leading the league in passer rating is ridiculous.  Passer rating encompasses attempts, completions, yards, touchdowns, and INTs, while completion percentage only encompasses 2 of those 5 stats.

And no, it doesn't just mean you're "safe".  Alex Smith attempted the 10th most deep passes per game among qualifying QBs according to Next Gen Stats.  He was ranked as the number 1 deep passer in the league.  He bucked the "safe" moniker pretty glaringly last year.

"but the other guys having NFL successes are through."... Good thing you're so sure.  Maybe they should just retire now?  Since there is obviously no way you could be wrong.  Back to reality, all teams in this division have a realistic shot of making the playoffs, and all QBs have shown the ability to get hot and have top tier QB play over a stretch of at least a few games.

The problem is Alex Smith isn't gonna dump a two yard pass to Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt, or Tyreek Hill and watch them inflate and pad his passer stats anymore.
The weapons he'll now have in Washington are substantially less talented.

27 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Eli Manning (x2) and Flacco.  Neither had elite defenses in the season they won SB's.

the defense was absolutely why Eli won at least the first super bowl. Had they not turned it on that latter part of the season they don't even get into the playoffs.
And the Defense against the Pats was the reason they were in those games late. Not ELITE but certainly played like it down the stretch.

The Ravens had a pretty good defense all year and helped get Flacco there, I'd agree and say they didn't help much in the game.

Both had strong defensive play at some point in their run. If left to their own devices both would've been sitting at home in January without the help of their defense.

8 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

the defense was absolutely why Eli won at least the first super bowl. Had they not turned it on that latter part of the season they don't even get into the playoffs.
And the Defense against the Pats was the reason they were in those games late. Not ELITE but certainly played like it down the stretch.

NYG's weighted DVOA (which gives more weight to games later in the season) in the 2007 season was 11th.  Closer to average than top 5.  Hell, the Redskins ranked 11th in DVOA last season, and none of you seem to think we even have a chance to be an elite defense this year even after adding Payne and getting a healthy Jonathan Allen, Josh Norman, and Montae Nicholson back.

8 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

The Ravens had a pretty good defense all year and helped get Flacco there, I'd agree and say they didn't help much in the game.

Ravens ranked 19th in defensive DVOA and 22nd in weighted defensive DVOA in 2012.  I wouldn't call that a "good" defense.

12 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Both had strong defensive play at some point in their run. If left to their own devices both would've been sitting at home in January without the help of their defense.

You could say this about pretty much any QB to ever win the SB.  Peyton Manning was bailed out by his defense numerous times when he won it with the Colts, so was Brees in 2005, and so was Rodgers in the only SB he won.

Great offenses don't win SBs.  Great defenses don't win SBs.  Great TEAMS win SBs.  Usually the team that is the most balanced team by years' end.

The Eagles are defending Super Bowl champions with their MVP QB, all-pro LT, and stud MLB returning. Of course we’re going to be decently cocky about our team and our chances in the NFC East. We’re the most complete and battle-tested team in the division. I will say that all of the rival teams have improved this offseason, but as @Jroc04 alluded too none of you guys have a franchise-caliber signal caller who will carry a team.

33 minutes ago, Phire said:

The problem is Alex Smith isn't gonna dump a two yard pass to Travis Kelce, Kareem Hunt, or Tyreek Hill and watch them inflate and pad his passer stats anymore.
The weapons he'll now have in Washington are substantially less talented.

Good thing our defense is substantially more talented.  Also, Guice is an unknown.  I don't think anyone would be shocked if he ended up being the better player than Hunt.  He was definitely a more talented prospect.  And I really wouldn't say "substantially" less talented, especially if Reed stays healthy.

Archived