NFL News & General Info Thread

Kiltman

17 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Not my original reaction but I can laugh now. Manzfield couldn't even outrun a cop and Ward might be the best CB in the draft but they could have traded back a few spots and got him for less money plus additional picks. Dorsey is an idiot. Top 5 picks and came out with mid round talent. 

Enough about the circus, who are we targeting with our 2nd rounder? 

That is all

mastercheddaar

Going to be a lot of good players on the board in the 2nd round.

S: Ronnie Harrison, Justin Reid - Eagles have shown interest in both

RB: Nick Chubb, Derrius Guice, Ronald Jones - Eagles have shown interest in all 3

CB: Josh Jackson, Isaiah Oliver, Carlton Davis

LB: Harold Landry, maybe Malik Jefferson

QB: Mason Rudolph

OL: Will Hernandez, Austin Corbett, James Daniels, maybe Connor Williams

WR: Courtland Sutton, maybe DJ Chart, maybe Christian Kirk

TE: Dallas Goedert, Mike Gesicki (Dallas will take one of them, almost guaranteed with Jason Witten retiring)

DL: Maurice Hurst, Harrison Phillips, Tim Settle

That's just 23 guys. I'm sure I missed some that are available. And we'll definitely have some more reaches coming. There's going to be a good player for us at 52 if we decide to stay there.

8 minutes ago, Phire said:

I'm sorry but the Browns are just awful. Baker Failfield will be a bust. How do you screw up twice in the top five...

Carson Wentz or this haul:

• Corey Coleman
  • Shon Coleman
  • DeShon Kizer
  • Cody Kessler
  • Derrick Kindred
  • Spencer Drango
  • Ricardo Louis
  • Jordan Payton
  • Jabrill Peppers
  • Denzel Ward
  • 2018 2nd Round Pick TBA

And maybe most importantly....

1 win since then.

So I ask again, Carson Wentz or that haul?

Slider-21.png

Ironically, I think that we've hit on more draft picks and UDFAs than the Browns have since the 2016 draft than the Browns have.

They had 14 picks in 2016 and 10 picks in 2017.

We had 8 picks in 2016 and 8 picks in 2017.

And since the off-season that they decided that Cody Kessler would be better than Carson Wentz, they've drafted 3 QBs.

Acquiring picks and amassing assets doesn't mean anything if your scouting and front office is clueless.

30 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

Ironically, I think that we've hit on more draft picks and UDFAs than the Browns have since the 2016 draft than the Browns have.

They had 14 picks in 2016 and 10 picks in 2017.

We had 8 picks in 2016 and 8 picks in 2017.

And since the off-season that they decided that Cody Kessler would be better than Carson Wentz, they've drafted 3 QBs.

Acquiring picks and amassing assets doesn't mean anything if your scouting and front office is clueless.

The clowns are a terrible team. Hire a GM. GM states the winning is going to begin now! GM cuts guys that don't fit into his mold. GM makes bone head decisions at pivotal moments. Fire GM. Rise and repeat every 2-3 years. 

Dorsey said he was a football guy and he was done with analytics. Picks the two biggest analytical stat players. Just awful and pathetic. 

That is all

mastercheddaar 

3 hours ago, eagles18 said:

I personally like Mayfield.. He was incredibly productive in college and played in a good conference. 

a good conference?

The Big 12 defenses are terrible.

Like, so bad that literally some NFL scouts have said they sometimes its really difficult to gauge any sort of Big 12 offensive players' actual talent because they're basically playing against high school level defense.

And when Mayfield actually played a really good SEC defense in Georgia, I was really unimpressed. He had real trouble fitting the ball into tight windows when he had to. That's a big concern IMO.

And taking him #1 kind of wipes out the whole "chip on his shoulder" argument pro-Mayfield people make. 

The Browns are almost definitely going to have a 30 for 30 made in 20 years about their drafts from this decade. 

I had respect for Dorsey before....but the dude just completely screwed himself and the franchise despite having two top 5 picks and having been able to get a stud QB AND stud defensive player in Chubb. He got neither.

3 hours ago, Phire said:

I'm sorry but the Browns are just awful. Baker Failfield will be a bust. How do you screw up twice in the top five...

Disagree. If he was 6"3, no one would be thinking twice about the pick. 

As for not taking Chubb, that too is debatable. Yes the combo of him and Garrett would be nasty but was DE really a need having Garrett ,Ogbah, Nassib and even Rchard to an extent? Especially when you consider the trash at CB after McCourty.

Just because it's not what the analysts expected and us doesn't make it wrong.

I won't like the Mayfield pick until somebody can explain to me why he went from day 3 afterthought to the #1 pick from his junior year to senior year, slightly better season? I made an entire thread about it in NFL draft forum and only somewhat plausible answer I got was that "NFL scouts don't seriously look at guys until they think they're entering the draft" but that is bogus IMO. For one, I just think it's wrong, but secondly, Baker very much could have left after his junior year considering it was very unlikely he would have better production (he defied the odds and did) and he was already 4 year removed from HS, might have even had his degree, so scouts must have been eyeing him. Every 2017 mock before he confirmed he would return had him in the mid rounds, Walter Football had him as their #14 QB. The knocks on him were his size and being a possible system QB, things that didn't change in his senior year. Prominent draftniks have connections with NFL scouts, it's what influences their mocks more than anything and is why everybody seemingly arrives at the same conclusion, lot of groupthink that is fueled by the pro scouts. It is certainly possible NFL scouts were mum on Mayfield and draftniks were left to guess and go off their own evaluations, but I'd say that is not probable, and that no NFL scout would have told you in late 2016/early 2017 that Mayfield had a chance at being the #1 pick.

The only way I can make sense of Mayfield's meteoric rise, and not just chalk it up to a flukey hype snowball, is if he actually improved his game in nearly all facets from junior to senior year and essentially transformed as a QB before our very eyes. I haven't watched the tape so I wouldn't know. 

20 hours ago, RollEagles said:

Seattle - not even exaggerating, the talent evaluators in Seattle at this point might only be better than the Browns talent evaluators. And even that's a toss up. Just look at their past few drafts. It's embarrassingly bad. You have to go back to 2012 for when they hit on picks. That's how their run ended. It wasn't Wilson's contract. It was because they failed in the draft for 5 years. And by taking Rashard Penny in the first round, they proved more of the same. It's to the point now that when Seattle is on the clock, you can be sure it's coming out of left field.

Seriously their picks always leave me scratching my head as to "Why the hell would you take this player, this early?"

Even IN 2012, their best 2 selections weren't their first round pick. Their first round pick was Bruce Irvin, an EDGE rusher from WVU who was thought to be by the masses a 3rd round pick. 

The Seahawks have drafted 1 player to make a Pro Bowl between 2013-2017. WR Tyler Lockett.... he made it as a Kick Returner...

Archived