Kingsbury to allow cell phone breaks in team meetings

tgrades3

every 30 minutes seems quite excessive. Maybe one in the middle of practice I can see, but this is a lot.

That said, most guys probably won't take him up on this and the ones that do should get flak from their teammates for it. Especially if they suck.

It might be a policy that doesn't matter cause the players police themselves. They're all adults, mostly.

I think its worded oddly but it actually makes sense. Most people aren't able to really focus and absorb information for more than 30 minutes, giving them a mental break so they can come back and refocus isn't a bad idea. He just shouldn't have been so open about it being time for cell phone and social media, just call it a mental break to grab some food, water and maybe call the family. If they want to use that time to go on twitter, so be it.

Just now, Danger said:

Welp, How long until the Cardinals are looking for a new head coach? This guy is clearly not a leader of men.

To play devil's advocate, because I do think this is too much... he's treating them like men by trusting them to be responsible with their time in practice and not micromanaging them.

If it works how I think it will, and this changes very little about practice because nobody wants to be the only guy running back to his phone every 30 minutes, then he comes out looking fine like a coach who trusts his players to do their jobs. 

IDK why it would be released to the media like this because it looks silly, but I could see this being one of those headlines that amounts to nothing in reality. It's a slow time of year, they gotta do something. 

1 minute ago, Dome said:

To play devil's advocate, because I do think this is too much... he's treating them like men by trusting them to be responsible with their time in practice and not micromanaging them.

If it works how I think it will, and this changes very little about practice because nobody wants to be the only guy running back to his phone every 30 minutes, then he comes out looking fine like a coach who trusts his players to do their jobs. 

IDK why it would be released to the media like this because it looks silly, but I could see this being one of those headlines that amounts to nothing in reality. It's a slow time of year, they gotta do something. 

If a player has a good reason to need to check his cell phone often one day, he can approach the coach and say "hey I got this thing going on, I need to stay posted on it". Usually a reasonable coach (assuming it is actually a good reason) will allow them to stay on top of it. I guarantee there will be 4 or 5 guys, most of them young players who will abuse this privilege and there will be locker room divide between those who are lasered in and those who aren't seemingly taking things as seriously. Especially if they aren't winning games, this will just magnify the problem internally.

I have 0 issue with this. I check my phone at work much more than this, and I'm 27. Players will play for a coach they like, and maybe something little like this will help, as long as he doesn't get taken advantage of

1 minute ago, Danger said:

If a player has a good reason to need to check his cell phone often one day, he can approach the coach and say "hey I got this thing going on, I need to stay posted on it". Usually a reasonable coach (assuming it is actually a good reason) will allow them to stay on top of it. I guarantee there will be 4 or 5 guys, most of them young players who will abuse this privilege and there will be locker room divide between those who are lasered in and those who aren't seemingly taking things as seriously. Especially if they aren't winning games, this will just magnify the problem internally.

I agree with all this.... i just think that says more about those 4-5 players than Kingsbury, but I see your point for sure.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Every 30 minutes....? Maybe every few hours or something.

This isn't during practice. Its just during team meetings, aka the things that players really don't want to go to and very rarely can stay focused in for more than 30 minutes.

If you have a 2 hour team meeting, by the 45th minute 75% of the team has zoned out.

11 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I have 0 issue with this. I check my phone at work much more than this, and I'm 27. Players will play for a coach they like, and maybe something little like this will help, as long as he doesn't get taken advantage of

Where I work they've been much more relaxed about quick texts or whatever throughout the day, as long as you're "on schedule" for the day of course. It's changed nothing other than people feel a little more free. Edit: And no I'm not comparing my job to an NFL players job, but I believe that those feelings translates to any workplace. 

But what is "on schedule" for the NFL? cause somehow I feel like the Cards will be running late lol.

9 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

This isn't during practice. Its just during team meetings, aka the things that players really don't want to go to and very rarely can stay focused in for more than 30 minutes.

If you have a 2 hour team meeting, by the 45th minute 75% of the team has zoned out.

I don't know how anyone can be against breaks from meetings. 

Archived