Bears Re-Sign LS Patrick Scales

soulman

Long snapper Patrick Scales is back on a 1-year deal, just in time for the Bears' kicking competition

The Bears do not know who their kicker will be in 2019, but they have the rest of the operation figured out now.

Long snapper Patrick Scales has agreed to terms on a one-year contract, according to a source. The team already re-signed punter Pat O’Donnell, who is the holder, to a two-year contract.

Scales played in all 16 games last season, plus the playoff loss to the Eagles, after returning from a torn ACL hesuffered in the 2017 preseason. The 31-year-old also snapped in 16 games for the Bears in 2016 and five games in 2015. He broke into the NFL with the Ravens in 2014 when he appeared in two games.

Scales was a restricted free agent and the Bears did not tender him an offer as the lowest level was $2.025 million.

O’Donnell’s two-year contract is worth $3.75 million over two years with $1.75 million guaranteed. He has a base salary of $1.25 million this season with a $200,000 signing bonus and $300,000 roster bonus. All of the money this season is guaranteed, meaning O’Donnell is fully expected to make the roster. He has a base salary of $1.75 million in 2020.

The Bears have two kickers on the roster — Chris Blewitt and Redford Jones. The voluntary offseason workout program opens April 15. The first two weeks are limited to strength and conditioning work, so an actual kicking competition will not begin until the end of the month.

bmbiggs@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

4 hours ago, malagabears said:

Scales by my eye test is pretty reliable & steady. I am not sure PFF does long snapper rankings, too lazy to check. :D

LOLOL  That would be a total mess.  Can you imagine a metric measuring ball spin and degree of arc on punt snaps?  mad0228.gif

I'd rather just have Patrick Mannelly eye ball them and give a thumbs up or thumbs down.

18 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So all the depth and st's the bears let go, all came back at the Bears price.  Seems like a pretty good offseason to me so far.

Winning and a shot at a ring tends to motivate some to play for less.

Also, now that the minimum RFA tender is $2 mil I'd say we're gonna see a lot of this.

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Thank gawd. Outpost 31 would have gone completely nuts (in a pure schadenfreude way) if we had to get another long snapper...

I'm sure it would have dropped us to a 5-11 team with anyone else snapping back there. I mean, we already lost basically the second coming for Jim Brown, Primetime Sanders and Sean Taylor this offseason "according to Bears fans." lol

4 hours ago, soulman said:

Winning and a shot at a ring tends to motivate some to play for less.

Also, now that the minimum RFA tender is $2 mil I'd say we're gonna see a lot of this.

I think it’s happened frequently in the past too but we never paid it much attention since we weren’t anywhere close to the cap where it was a big deal. 

It has but over the past five years the cost of the lowest tender has about doubled and regardless of the cap some roster spots are just not worth $2 mil LS being one of them.  Scales got $630k in 2018 so he's probably on another minimum deal again this year.

I also believe Pace is gonna give the PK job to a rookie making a minimum deal as well.  Jones and Blewitt both have $495k 2019 cap hits and a 7th round pick or UDFA would be the same.  O'Donnell is the only one making above minimum at a $1.65 cap hit.

Archived