Duke Johnson trade imminent. *updates to come*

NudeTayne

Compensation  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What do we get for Duke?

• A slice of humble pie. We ain't gettin' jack squat other than a swap of late picks.
    • Gareon Conley after we toss in a late rounder.
    • 5th rounder.
    • 4th rounder.
    • 3rd rounder.
    • 2nd rounder. Just kidding. Hornby.
    • Another swap for a no-name player who will end up outplaying the guy we gave up.

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

I don't even know that the bucs would need to pay a portion of his salary.

13 million a year isn't an incredible amount.  If we want him more than a year we can re-structure his contract.  If we don't we can cut him at any time and now owe a penny.

I don't know why people are worried about the financial side of this...

Not exactly. Cutting him if he doesn't restructure as part of a deal would be a huge dead cap hit that we'd have to carry for 3 years.

Personally, as soon as I saw this rumor I knew there was no way it was happening after seeing McCoy was guaranteed 13 Mil a year for the next 3 years carrying him until his age 34 season. That dead cap hit will carry into critical years for us where we need to sign Myles, Baker, as well as other big name in house FAs. If part of the deal he'll restructure than the deal could be a go.

No teams are taking on 13 mil a year for 3 years for a near 32 years old player.

Gerald McCoy is going to be cut or restructure.by TB b/c for them the dead cap hit is worth freeing up immediate money,

Edited by Mind Character

11 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Not exactly. Cutting him if he doesn't restructure as part of a deal would be a huge dead cap hit that we'd have to carry for 3 years.

Personally, as soon as I saw this rumor I knew there was no way it was happening after seeing McCoy was guaranteed 13 Mil a year for the next 3 years carrying him until his age 34 season. That dead cap hit will carry into critical years for us where we need to sign Myles, Baker, as well as other big name in house FAs. If part of the deal he'll restructure than the deal could be a go.

No teams are taking on 13 mil a year for 3 years for a near 32 years old player.

Gerald McCoy is going to be cut or restructure.by TB b/c for them the dead cap hit is worth freeing up immediate money,

Are you sure?

I normally just accept your words as truth Mind, however, everything I'm seeing from OTC and Spotrac is showing me that Gerald McCoy's guaranteed portion of his deal is 100% paid and he has nothing guaranteed left on his contract.

Even so, similar to OBJ, and Oliver Vernon, if they trade him, the take the dead cap hit and that's the bonus of the trade for us, that the money is not guaranteed with us.

From what I am seeing if we were to trade for McCoy, he would cost 13M, 12.5M and 13M in 2019, 2020, and 2021 respectively, however that would carry 0 guarantees with it and we would be able to release him at any time.  However, if he were to get cut by Tampa Bay (which it seems like they can do without cap ramifications), and signs with us, we would have to worry about how team friendly the contract is going forward.

I think the best move for us would be to trade for him, so we get the option of how long we want to pay the current contract, and have negotiating ability with him if we want to renegotiate his contract.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Are you sure?

I normally just accept your words as truth Mind, however, everything I'm seeing from OTC and Spotrac is showing me that Gerald McCoy's guaranteed portion of his deal is 100% paid and he has nothing guaranteed left on his contract.

Even so, similar to OBJ, and Oliver Vernon, if they trade him, the take the dead cap hit and that's the bonus of the trade for us, that the money is not guaranteed with us.

From what I am seeing if we were to trade for McCoy, he would cost 13M, 12.5M and 13M in 2019, 2020, and 2021 respectively, however that would carry 0 guarantees with it and we would be able to release him at any time.  However, if he were to get cut by Tampa Bay (which it seems like they can do without cap ramifications), and signs with us, we would have to worry about how team friendly the contract is going forward.

I think the best move for us would be to trade for him, so we get the option of how long we want to pay the current contract, and have negotiating ability with him if we want to renegotiate his contract.

Yeah from my understanding. It seems better to trade for him cause you get a contract that has no dead cap space attached to it. So if the browns need to clear $10m+ quickly next year or the year after that. He can just be straight cut with no penalty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

Are you sure?

If there is guaranteed salary (not bonus money) that is traded along with the player so if McCoy had guaranteed salary the next 3 years (he doesn't) then the Browns would be on the hook if he was cut.

Not sure where Mind saw that he had any guaranteed money left but he doesn't. That said it is probably a one year rental so I'd give very little for him. A 5th next year, or Duke if we are about to cut him anyway. Which I wouldn't.

2 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Are you sure?

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Yeah from my understanding. It seems better to trade for him cause you get a contract that has no dead cap space attached to it. So if the browns need to clear $10m+ quickly next year or the year after that. He can just be straight cut with no penalty

I welcome skepticism regarding what I say.

.. and I was wrong regarding the dead cap hit because of a misreading of spotrac's salary breakdown column and summary when I checked it. According to spotrac it says, " In 2019, McCoy will earn a base salary of $13,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $13,000,000." I thought it said a DEAD CAP HIT of 13M, as well as the next year but on the contract breakdown the 13M is in the yearly cash column and not the dead cap column. I misread both.

So, I guess last year was the last guaranteed year that would've incurred a 12.75M dead cap hit.

My bad.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I just can't wait for it to happen so that I can recalibrate my definition of imminent and use it to mislead, misdirect or confuse others.

Used by an esteemed authority such as nude will give it a lot of thrust.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

"I just can't wait for it to happen so that I can recalibrate my definition of imminent and use it to mislead, misdirect or confuse others,"

said the lawyer.

Edited by NudeTayne
zing!
  • Like 2

Duke is under contract and I'm sure we checked what value he had and whatever it was/is wasn't as valuable as him being on our roster. Next year, depending on how the Hunt experiment goes, that may change but we may need him the first 8 games to be a vital piece to our offense.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Duke is under contract and I'm sure we checked what value he had and whatever it was/is wasn't as valuable as him being on our roster. Next year, depending on how the Hunt experiment goes, that may change but we may need him the first 8 games to be a vital piece to our offense.

I am sure that was related back to Duke, we could get a future 7th from xyz, you signed a contract, we want to have you here. Play well in the 1st 8 games, let's see what happens. 

• Like 2