So who's the next domino to fall? Take your pick

Tony7188

With Lawrence now out of the way, we have Dak, Zeke, Amari, Jones and Jaylon all looking to get paid soon. What order (from 1-5) would you rank these players in importance to sign first?

Mines would be:

1. Amari 

2. Zeke

3. Jaylon

4. Dak

5. Jones 

Edited by Tony7188

I  would assume Coop based solely on trading the #1 for him. Can probably also lower his current $14m cap hit a little by doing so too. 

After him, it's going to be Dak.

Then we'll see.  I doubt Jones gets a new deal. Jaylon is under wraps for couple of yrs iirc. Zeke....idk, I have a feeling he's going to be a tough negotiation and I don't think Dallas is going to pay him $15m/yr. 

Edited by WizardHawk

I think it goes 

1. Dak
2. Amari 

Jones may or may not get a new deal depending on what happens with Lewis and how the draft plays out. If we take Williams or Johnson high, I doubt they give Jones a big dollar contract. Jaylon's probably doesn't get done until next year, same with Zeke. 

Yeah I think it’s just Dak and Amari to go at this point. Anyone else would have to take a particularly team friendly deal, especially Zeke and Jaylon who aren’t UFAs for another two years.

You can save the tag for Byron since it should be $14M or so next year unless Ramsey and Howard completely reset the market. Tagging Dak or Amari would be much more onerous.

Edited by matt79511

20 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah I think it’s just Dak and Amari to go at this point. Anyone else would have to take a particularly team friendly deal, especially Zeke and Jaylon who aren’t UFAs for another two years.

You can save the tag for Byron since it should be $14M or so next year unless Ramsey and Howard completely reset the market. Tagging Dak or Amari would be much more onerous.

Pretty sure Jaylon is in the final year of his contract.

9 hours ago, matt79511 said:

He’s scheduled to be a restricted free agent. Should cost roughly $5M to slap a first round tender on him.

Interesting, I vaguely remembered hearing that the Cowboys had done something like activating him near the end of his rookie year so he could accrue a season. And pro-Jerry people were like, “See, for all his faults, this is why players love playing for his team.”

Then Stephen Jones himself said that Jaylon only has one more year on his contract then he’s an FA.

A quick google shows me that this is not a universally accepted position, and some poeple have questioned that SJ knows what he’s talking about. But I haven’t seen anything definitive either way.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

11 hours ago, matt79511 said:

He’s scheduled to be a restricted free agent. Should cost roughly $5M to slap a first round tender on him.

That's playing with fire, if the team lets Jaylon hit RFA. 

Also, why would Zeke take a team friendly deal? He's done so much for this offense. 

Edited by Tony7188

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If you think Dak should be re-signed, then he has to be #1 on the list. He’s either our franchise QB or he isn’t. There is no middle ground where “oh, we’d like to re-sign him, but only if we can get our middle linebacker done first.”

Amari has a huge cap hit, his impact in the offense and the lost of 1st is why I have him #1 on the list. Zeke is the engine for this offense, which is why I had him at #2.

I do think there's a great case for Dak to be at #3 on the list over Jaylon and should probably be flip flopped. All in all, I think the odd man out would be Jones.

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Amari has a huge cap hit, his impact in the offense and the lost of 1st is why I have him #1 on the list. Zeke is the engine for this offense, which is why I had him at #2.

I do think there's a great case for Dak to be at #3 on the list over Jaylon and should probably be flip flopped. All in all, I think the odd man out would be Jones.

If the argument is who is most important to re-sign, and the list includes a franchise QB, then he is #1. He has to be. Positional value is just way to high. If you can only sign one of them, it’s Dak.

If we are talking about “who actually signs first”, I agree that Amari will be the next actual contract handed out.

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

Also, why would Zeke take a team friendly deal? He's done so much for this offense. 

I mean, there is potential for this to get ugly, I agree, but Zeke has little leverage. 

Cowboys have 5th year option on him, plus 2 years of potential franchise tag ($9-10M). He plays the most replaceable position in football and it is a position that wears down very quickly. The Cowboys could just ride him into the ground over the next 3 years and his only recourse is to hold out.

The best option for all parties would be to agree to a moderate deal with a good chunk of guaranteed money before it gets nasty.

That said, a team that values RB enough to take one at #4, probably is going to overpay him. 

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz