3rd Round Pick

dll2000

3rd Round Pick  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pick From These Choices in 3rd?

• K Warring TE SDST
    • Josh Oliver TE
    • Caleb Wilson, TE UCLA
    • Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State
    • Damien Harris, RB, Alabama
    • David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State
    • Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis
    • Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
    • Ryquell Armstead, RB, Temple
    • Justice Hill, RB, OKST
    • Tytus Howard, OT, ALST

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/15/2019 at 01:56 AM

Scouting RE:  Henderson

Positive:  

Guy is explosive as heck.  No denying that.  As explosive as any back in draft.  Accelerates very well.  8.9 yards per carry two years in row.  

Negatives: 

Doesn't break tackles.

Mostly just outruns people as he is usually fastest guy on field.  An advantage he won't have at next level.  

Big red flag for me is he one of most explosive players in country and whenever they lined a back up at receiver and threw to him it wasn't Henderson.  It was his teammate Pollard.

Henderson had 3 targets total when lined up wide.  Pollard had 58.

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Positive:  

Guy is explosive as heck.  No denying that.  As explosive as any back in draft.  Accelerates very well.  8.9 yards per carry two years in row.  

Negatives: 

Doesn't break tackles.

Mostly just outruns people as he is usually fastest guy on field.  An advantage he won't have at next level.  

Big red flag for me is he one of most explosive players in country and whenever they lined a back up at receiver and threw to him it wasn't Henderson.  It was his teammate Pollard.

Cohen is getting all the split wide reps here anyway.

Bears just had Jacobs for a visit.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/08/bears-host-josh-jacobs-myles-gaskin-for-pre-draft-visits/

Pace has said he wants to research guys for future so he is keeping draft process same as if he had first and second round picks.  I think that is it because I can't believe they are going to trade up into first or high second for a RB.

That would be shocking and I would be highly critical of that move.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Bears just had Jacobs for a visit.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/08/bears-host-josh-jacobs-myles-gaskin-for-pre-draft-visits/

Pace has said he wants to research guys for future so he is keeping draft process same as if he had first and second round picks.  I think that is it because I can't believe they are going to trade up into first or high second for a RB.

That would be shocking and I would be highly critical of that move.  

That would be too high for me.

Back end of the 2nd or early 3rd seems reasonable, but higher than that is too much.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

That would be too high for me.

Back end of the 2nd or early 3rd seems reasonable, but higher than that is too much.

Agree ..  just before run on RBs begins. Everybody knows we're  looking to add a RB  .. the run will start prior to #87 but not end of 1st/start of 2nd

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Positive:  

Negatives: 

Doesn't break tackles.

Eagles' official visit Darrell Henderson (Memphis, RB):

- .27 Missed Tackles Forced per Att. (8th)

- 70.8% Breakaway % (1st)

- 158.6 Breakaway Rating (2nd)

- 40.2% Not Tackled on 1st Attempt (11th)

- 6.0 Yards After Contact (1st)

- 2.8 Yards Per Route Run (1st)

(via PFF & SIS)

13 hours ago, dll2000 said:

He is a quick, fast guy, but almost all of his big plays came with him being untouched 6 yards into the play.  I think that is fool's gold.  He is juking people with a lot of space and facing light boxes. 

Not saying he sucks or he can't be good, but it's real hard to evaluate and project him based on that.  He certainly isn't going to do that in NFL.

This is my concern with him as well. Who he’s playing against matters when looking at those stats, and judging by how many of his defensive opponents ended up with combine invites this year it sure looks like Henderson did more than his fair share of bum slaying:

2018 Defensive Front 7 Combine Invitees

Darrell Henderson 2018 opponents

Mercer 0

Navy 0

Georgia St 0

South Alabama 0

Tulane 0

UConn 0

UCF 1 (DT Trysten Hill, rated likely 3rd round pick on NFL.com)

Missouri 2 (both rated as likely round 7/UDFA on NFL.com)

Eastern Carolina 0

Tulsa 0

SMU 0

Houston 2 (Ed Oliver rd 1, Emeke Egbule projected round 5-6 on NFL.com)

Not exactly the same as those RBs playing a power 5 conference schedule. None of that means he isn’t good or won’t be successful in the NFL but what it does mean to me is that what he did in college from a production standpoint needs to be considered with a HUGE asterisk. Mike Weber is a guy who intrigues me more than most of you, but him going 13/96/1 against a Michigan defense with 3 front 7 players likely to be picked in the first two rounds (Gary, Bush & Winovich) plus other 4-5* athletes is far more impressive to me than Henderson tearing up a bunch of guys who would probably struggle to make that same Michigan squad as rotational backups. 

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This is my concern with him as well. Who he’s playing against matters when looking at those stats, and judging by how many of his defensive opponents ended up with combine invites this year it sure looks like Henderson did more than his fair share of bum slaying:

Mercer 0

Navy 0

Georgia St 0

South Alabama 0

Tulane 0

UConn 0

Eastern Carolina 0

Tulsa 0

SMU 0

Not exactly the same as those RBs playing a power 5 conference schedule. None of that means he isn’t good or won’t be successful in the NFL but what it does mean to me is that what he did in college from a production standpoint needs to be considered with a HUGE asterisk. Mike Weber is a guy who intrigues me more than most of you, but him going 13/96/1 against a Michigan defense with 3 front 7 players likely to be picked in the first two rounds (Gary, Bush & Winovich) plus other 4-5* athletes is far more impressive to me than Henderson tearing up a bunch of guys who would probably struggle to make that same Michigan squad as rotational backups. 

It would still be impressive if he was destroying stacked boxes no matter if it is in high school.

But a great athlete with a free run to full speed in space is going to make anyone look bad.  If he is faster than all people he is playing against he just keeps running all the way to end zone.  Which is what he did a lot. 

No idea what PFF is talking about with him breaking all these tackles and making guys miss.  Defenders are 3-4 yards away from him and he varies his path a little and they cant recover becuase he is moving faster than they are.  

Go back and watch Marshall Faulk at San Diego St.  Same lower level of competition but it is perfectly clear that Faulk is special.  You will see the difference.  

I don't know how much emphasis I'd place on who a RB played against.  He has no control over that and while some defenses Henderson faced made it look too easy good football players sometimes play up to the level of the competition.  He still dominated against that competition no matter what.

If I'm a GM or HC I'm looking at traits a RB has a player and measurables I can use to quantify him as a guy who fits what I'd expect of him and I use this to narrow down a rather large field of mid round RB prospects of which Henderson is one.

To me it looks like there are 5-6 backs in this draft who'll fall in the 3rd and 4th rounds and a few more after that.  Pace and his staff seem to have a good feel for where to rank these 2nd tier types and how to get top value in the middle three rounds.

He may take a back we're all familiar with or he may shock us and take a back who fits Nagy's schemes like a tee shirt that's a size too small but otherwise won't appear as impressive as others.  Who would have though Jordan Howard would nearly equal Zeke Elliott's production as rookies?

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Mercer 0

Navy 0

Georgia St 0

South Alabama 0

Tulane 0

UConn 0

Eastern Carolina 0

Tulsa 0

SMU 0

tarik cohen tho?

40 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

tarik cohen tho?

Small school competition will always be an issue but you can make quite the all time NFL team with small school players.

Steve McNair, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Khalil Mack, Adam Vinatieri, Too Tall Jones, Jared Allen, Shannon Sharpe, Richard Dent

I stopped caring about small school competition years ago

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

tarik cohen tho?

Always two sides to that coin too. We have been debating the value of Adam Shaheen in another thread for a while now. Cohen is a top tier change of back who’s an excellent receiver. He’s Darren Sproles. Love the kid but he’s never going to be a feature back. If he had that in him then RB would be a fringe need at best. We’re presumably aiming higher than that with a RB draft pick.

Like I said I like Henderson quite a bit but the only reason he would MAYBE be available at 87 is because the transferability of his production to the NFL game is significantly in question amongst NFL decision makers. If a RB averaged 8.9 yards per carry over a 344-carry sample size at an SEC or BIG TEN school there’s an incredibly high chance he’d be the top pick in the draft, even in 2019. 

Obviously you can't evaluate production in a vacuum but there are athletic traits you can see from the film and from watching him at the combine that are going to translate. There are plenty of small school RBs succeeding in the NFL right now. Kareem Hunt went to Toledo.

I actually think his game translates better to the NFL than many think but I don't see him as a super breakaway threat that people are expecting. His best traits are balance and short-area quickness. I think he'll have plenty of chunk plays but he won't run away from NFL defenders like he did in the AAC.

Archived