Calvin Johnson is a first ballot hofer; change my mind

Kiwibrown

8 minutes ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Well no. Those were truly bizarre moments and do speak to Johnson's dominance. Double man is virtually nonexistent in the NFL. 

For the record I agree with your overall point. That is a term that’s thrown around far more often than it should be. 

2 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

So the fact that he was much more productive on average is a problem? 

The fact that he is like 30th in yards is his problem.

Remember what the topic is saying - Calvin Johnson is a first ballot hall of famer. 

He doesn't have first ballot numbers at the receiver position (Look at Rice and Moss, for example).  And that's his problem.

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

The fact that he is like 30th in yards is his problem.

Remember what the topic is saying - Calvin Johnson is a first ballot hall of famer. 

He doesn't have first ballot numbers at the receiver position (Look at Rice and Moss, for example).  And that's his problem.

Sure, but at the same time he broke a few records and was consistently elite for quite a while. 

Just now, showtime said:

Yes.  He'll be a hall of famer.  He's not just a first ballot hall of famer.

I think people will look back and remember the time dez Bryant tried to call him out and he put up a 300 burger on the cowboys. 

Megatron-Cowboys.jpg

Or the time he caught a game winner against Chicago yet the dumbest rule for a catch was created off that play and they said no TD. 

636571843688171710-AP-LIONS-BEARS-FOOTBA

Theyll remember his first playoff game going against the Saints. The saints threw the kitchen sink at him and he went 200+ and 2 TDs.

2012-0107-Calvin-Johnson-op2q-47484.jpg

the play against Cincinnati that Stafford threw up a prayer to Megatron. 

82432675c1496fa389c74d2867109909.jpg

And the cowboys.

CalvinJohnson2.jpg

Theyll remember Megatron for the numerous circus catches he had and the catching radius of a garage. 

2en0.gif

And they will remember that he was never on a good team, always played hard, and was a consummate professional through and through 

Football takes a physical toll on your body, it's becoming more and more common for guys to retire early. I think the stigma in doing so is disappearing for that reason. 

He's a no doubt HOFer. Who cares if it's on the first ballot or not? 

Patrick Willis is a first ballot HOFer in my book, and he's in the same boat 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

So now youre docking him for being too good?

No, I’m docking him for having a quarterback that was dependent on forcing the ball to him repeatedly.  He obviously deserves credit for earning those targets and making good on a nice percentage of them, but early in his career, Stafford looked for him at an unhealthy rate

9 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

No, I’m docking him for having a quarterback that was dependent on forcing the ball to him repeatedly.  He obviously deserves credit for earning those targets and making good on a nice percentage of them, but early in his career, Stafford looked for him at an unhealthy rate

.... because he was such an unstoppable weapon 

You're point is well made, but that says more about Stat Padford than it does about CJ. The guy made plays consistently, hard to use that as a negative

30th in yards minus HOFers, not yet eligible for HOF (when Calvin is up for the first time) and minus TEs is a list of Isaac Bruce, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Irving Fryar, Brandon Marshall, Jimmy Smith and Hines Ward.

On that list  I think there is a number of them Calvin would go in before, but I'm not sure he leap frogs all of them. Torry Holt + Isaac Bruce I feel like would be a good group to join Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk (and the big man at LT) and would be a nice pair to go in together. Not sure if that would happen whenever Calvin is up for the first time, but I think if it were it would take priority. I think Andre Johnson might get in before Calvin for being on an expansion team and prior to JJ Watt being the face of that franchise (not that Calvin wasn't, but Barry Sanders is the face of the Lions). Jimmy Smith and Anquan are waiters I think that eventually probably get in. Steve Smith and Reggie Wayne will be legit challengers to who goes in first compared to Calvin. Henry Ellard may get in with the Rams moving back to LA entering as a legit candidate of the LA Rams now that they are back and for years the prior generation of great WRs have been a little overlooked aside from Tim Brown.

Not sure he is 1st ballot, but he is sure fire. If he is still in the running when Julio Jones retires I think he might have an even longer wait as Larry Fitz is higher priority, and then Julio is a superior candidate (as well as what I mentioned earlier) as would potentially be Antonio Brown, but he may wait if his reputation becomes TO-y.  Mike Evans could very well end up with better numbers than Megatron as well. I think if the Hall really wants Calvin they might push him through early so his competition doesn't force him to the outside looking in for years.

Archived