***Spoiler FREE*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Acgott

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Only killed it for petulant whiners who are used to getting their way that don't realize Empire Strikes Back did the exact same thing (the good guys lost?) and is now regarded as one of the best movies period, not just Star Wars movies. 

For as much as people complain about TFA being a copy of ANH, I'm genuinely surprised more people don't see the many parallels between TLJ and ESB.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Uh no.  The Last Jedi is a bad movie because its a terrible continuation of the story The Force Awakens set up and is also poorly written both in the individual movie itself and within the context of being part of a larger story.  TFA sets up a plot for us, we're given a new hero (Rey) and her fellow companions (Finn, Poe, and Chewie) and a new big bad (Snoke) and an apprentice (Kylo Ren).  TLJ takes all of these major characters and puts them in separate storylines for the entire movie, there is practically no interaction amongst the most important characters of the story.  Then TLJ tells us that everything TFA set us for us, Rey's heritage, Snoke altogether, hell the whole resistance, mean absolutely nothing to the story.  Basically the TLJ nulifies TFA story completely.  That is not continuation of a story, that is erasing it.  That's why JJ Abrams has had to drag the Emperor back to life because TLJ gave the story no where to go.  

TFA said that it didn't matter where Rey came from. When did it say her heritage was important?

Why does Snoke matter? He was a secondary villain from the start. He served his purpose.

How did TLJ say that the resistance didn't matter? It says the exact opposite...

And again, TLJ was left completely open-ended in a vast universe, yet you think the only option was ******* Palpatine?

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Go on

The heroes barely escaping at the end with their lives, while almost completely destroyed.

Losing one of the heroes (even if they ended up rescuing Han)

The whole battle against the AT-ATs in the salt was almost identical to the battle on Hoth.

I'll add more later as my lunch break is about over

4 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

For as much as people complain about TFA being a copy of ANH, I'm genuinely surprised more people don't see the many parallels between TLJ and ESB.  

The only difference is one is good. Subverting expectations can be great. Being surprised can absolutely enhance a film experience. Infinity War is an example of one doing it well. However, simply being surprising doesn't make it good. For some reason some TLJ defenders forget that.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

The only difference is one is good. Subverting expectations can be great. Being surprised can absolutely enhance a film experience. Infinity War is an example of one doing it well. However, simply being surprising doesn't make it good. For some reason TLJ defenders forget that.

We don't forget it, we just don't agree it was poorly handled.

I hated Rose and the Canto Bight subplot. It was new and a risk and it didn't work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

Didn't say it was.  And honestly, I didn't really norice it until the third time I watched it (last week), getting ready for tomorrow night.

You compared it to the similarities between TFA and ANH. They aren't close to being on the same level of similarities.

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

We don't forget it, we just don't agree it was poorly handled.

I hated Rose and the Canto Bight subplot. It was new and a risk and it didn't work.

I understand your view. I disagree with it but I understand. Go re-read what Outpost said a page back. It literally reads "You don't get it. I was surprised therefore it's good". No dude...we got it, it just didn't work for us at all.

Edited by Bullet Club
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

TFA said that it didn't matter where Rey came from. When did it say her heritage was important?

Why does Snoke matter? He was a secondary villain from the start. He served his purpose.

How did TLJ say that the resistance didn't matter? It says the exact opposite...

And again, TLJ was left completely open-ended in a vast universe, yet you think the only option was ******* Palpatine?

I don't agree with any part of your post.  

TLJ does not continue any part of TFA story which is my point.  We don't know anything more about Rey other than she's a powerful force user for some random reason.  Kylo Ren has no meaningful progression either.  In TFA Kylo Ren accepts his dark side nature and murders his father (Han).  Then in TLJ he's in his starfighter and has the ability to fire on his mother (Leia) and doesn't do it.  Oh wow, now we're back to square one with him.  Oh but wait, she gets killed anyways by someone else cause she gets thrown into space.  Oh but wait, no she doesn't, she magicially force floats back into the ship?  WTF was that?  Then we get weird sexual awkward moments between Kylo and Rey for about an hour.  Then in Snoke's throne room, Kylo is like ok I'm going to eliminate my master and become the leader, usurping him in the mentor/student roll.  Ok, I can see some character development here.  Oh wait whats that, Oh Kylo is going to scream and act like a whining child for the remainder of the movie?  That's not progression.  

Finn spends the entire movie saving space horses from rich people.  Poe I guess learns a lesson about not being a hot head, even though he has to learn it from Purple haired lady who acts like a d-bag the entire time for no apparent reason.  

I don't really care about the handling of the original players (Luke, Han, Leia) because they're just in there for fan service IMO.  TLJ ruined the story that TFA set up by not moving its forward in any meaningful way.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Only killed it for petulant whiners who are used to getting their way that don't realize Empire Strikes Back did the exact same thing (the good guys lost?) and is now regarded as one of the best movies period, not just Star Wars movies. 

ESB did it right. Nobody whined about the good guys losing. Just the million other reasons why that movie sucked. 

• Like 1