***Spoiler FREE*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Acgott

35 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Yes, because she was such a well developed and important character. 

Look, that woman was such a poor actress that it stood out in a freaking Star Wars movie, where the acting chops are nearly always below average. She just sucked. Sucked sucked sucked sucked sucked. If they wanted to check off the asian woman hipster box in their diversity bingo card they could have at least cast Charlyne Yi and make her a bit of comic relief. That woman actually has talent. 

It wouldn't have mattered who was playing her. KMT is a fine actress, people were just whingeing about the character even existing.

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Forbes' review basically says they bend over backwards to appease all the big hitters that "hard-core-fans" complaints and it ruined the movie. How ironic if true lol

If true then screw them. They shouldn't have pandered in the last one either. Just focus on telling a story which didnt happen. 

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

It wouldn't have mattered who was playing her. KMT is a fine actress, people were just whingeing about the character even existing.

Cause there wasnt any point to her. 

And yes her acting when first meeting Finn was cringe worthy. Not only that but she ruined what would have been a bad a$$ death for Finn by making an impossible drive from her vehicle. 

Just now, Calvert28 said:

Cause there wasnt any point to her. 

And yes her acting when first meeting Finn was cringe worthy. Not only that but she ruined what would have been a bad a$$ death for Finn by making an impossible drive from her vehicle. 

I get the criticisms of the way she was written. What I'm saying is people still would have hated her even if she was written well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Lol let me guess Gizmo? Or was it Mashable that you read the article that fans hated it back then too? 

Star Wars despite being a critical success with A New Hope was not that well loved back then as it is today. It did not have the fan base nor the support to warrant such a backlash. It was still a very very new series and people were still being introduced to it in the early 80s. 

No what you read was more propaganda, I have no doubt that it received some bad reviews. But the majority was mixed with most unsure with how it was portrayed. 

Really got to stop read Disney paid articles. 

Not sure what Gizmo or Mashable are, but I know a number of people who were alive during that time, with a number of them being in the camp that hated it initially and love it now. I'll take their opinion over any article, but keep trying to discredit others' opinions that don't agree with yours. 

You're also helping my point. They didn't have the numbers to create such a backlash that they do now. That doesn't mean that it wasn't there, it just means that it doesn't seem anywhere near the level of TLR because it wasn't as deafening. 

You HAVE to be able to see the impact social media has on how movies are perceived nowadays as opposed to 1980, right?

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

If true then screw them. They shouldn't have pandered in the last one either. Just focus on telling a story which didnt happen. 

Say what you will about TLJ, he left it wide open to do pretty much WHATEVER you wanted with Kylo as the big bad and a rag tag bunch with the potential for large growth with the resistance. Going back to Abrams might have been a mistake, but I havent seen it yet sooo we shall see

55 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Say what you will about TLJ, he left it wide open to do pretty much WHATEVER you wanted with Kylo as the big bad and a rag tag bunch with the potential for large growth with the resistance. Going back to Abrams might have been a mistake, but I havent seen it yet sooo we shall see

Kylo was an illegitimate threat after getting cucked in back to back movies. Him as the big bad in Episode 9 would be a huge nothing burger.

3 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I get the criticisms of the way she was written. What I'm saying is people still would have hated her even if she was written well.

I disliked Finn and Rey how they were written in TFA. Finn grew on me some and i think he has the best arc so far in the series. Still dislike Rey and Poe is still Poe. 

Edited by Calvert28

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Kylo was an illegitimate threat after getting cucked in back to back movies. Him as the big bad in Episode 9 would be a huge nothing burger.

I agree with this, TFA I got to wrap my head around why he lost that one. But no way should Rey have matched him the 2nd time around. 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Not sure what Gizmo or Mashable are, but I know a number of people who were alive during that time, with a number of them being in the camp that hated it initially and love it now. I'll take their opinion over any article, but keep trying to discredit others' opinions that don't agree with yours. 

I know a bunch of paid articles came out after the backlash trying to save face with small little tidbits saying many people hated ESB too which just wasnt true. Guess what Im friends with older generations too. People who loved hoarding old news papers from when Elvis became famous or even before that when Hiroshima happened. Both audience and critics alike were largely mixed in their opinions of the film. That is a fact, if ESB received the same type of backlash that TLJ from fans with its fledgling fanbase, more then likely George Lucas would not have been able to find the funding to do ROTJ.

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

You're also helping my point. They didn't have the numbers to create such a backlash that they do now. That doesn't mean that it wasn't there, it just means that it doesn't seem anywhere near the level of TLR because it wasn't as deafening. 

You just said if ESB was released today it would have faced the same backlash which is laughably short sighted. Again Star Wars back then didnt have the fanbase it does now, nor did it have the nostagilia or interest back then that it did now. It was still growing in that span of time so I fail to see how thats helping your point. If the fanbase is still growing then there are not going to be that many fans which that much interest and emotional investment to really go after it hard like people were doing with TLJ regardless of social media. So again you're comparing two completely different situations, the only similarities TLJ has from ESB are the things it tried to copy from ESB. 

For example there are movies and TV shows now with a growing fan base that either get launched into mainstream heavy popularity or they die off because the audiance didnt like the direction or story telling that happened with the series. Lets go with TV shows real quick.

Game of Thrones- Largely remained unappealing to the masses until the 4th season, developed with the gripes that the producers were making without the source material and it didnt really face backlash until the 8th season when everyone and their mother was talking about it. 

Thats because it developed years of fan base loyalty and interest from the masses over the course of two and a half decades. It HAD the interest and the fan investment to warrant the backlash.

Now lets try another show that started out popular but died out without such heavy backlash.

Heroes- Started out with massive success in its first season, it was supposed to be the next big thing on television. Was developing a strong following with fans all over Myspace, Facebook and such at the time. Then came the dismal season 2 which started out well then gradually fell off in writing, there was alot of dislike for it. Then came season 3 then 4, then it pretty much died with a whimper after that. Backlash was minimal even with the massive plot holes and contradictions in the story because at that point, even though it had a fan base it was largely forgotten about because not that many people cared about it anymore. It just stopped being interesting and there wasnt that much to keep people interested from previous works. Its lack of fanbase and interest meant it did not warrant the backlash because no one really cared about it at that point anymore.