***Spoiler FREE*** Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Acgott

36 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It was at a 5.5 with early reviews. Maybe it's trending upward? 

Yeah yesterday it was 6.8.  I think it is trending upward.  Convince me i should see it.  I was pretty meh on the first two.  Didn't hate them, but didn't like em much either.

Just now, theJ said:

Yeah yesterday it was 6.8.  I think it is trending upward.  Convince me i should see it.  I was pretty meh on the first two.  Didn't hate them, but didn't like em much either.

Son of a ****ing *****.  I caved and read the spoilers because I was monitoring IMDB.  I started keeping track when it was at 6.5, then got excited when it bumped up to 6.8, then caved and read spoilers when it dipped back down to 6.7, and now it's at 6.9. 

With all the trolls giving it a 1/10 review, if this ends up above 7.0 at 100,000 votes it's a good movie. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Son of a ****ing *****.  I caved and read the spoilers because I was monitoring IMDB.  I started keeping track when it was at 6.5, then got excited when it bumped up to 6.8, then caved and read spoilers when it dipped back down to 6.7, and now it's at 6.9. 

With all the trolls giving it a 1/10 review, if this ends up above 7.0 at 100,000 votes it's a good movie. 

I just looked at the distribution.  9% of the votes are 1 star.  It's pretty disproportionate.  

If you remove a bunch of the outliers (down to may 2%?), the real arithmetic weighted average is closer to 7.3.  So about the same as the other two movies.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I just looked at the distribution.  9% of the votes are 1 star.  It's pretty disproportionate.  

If you remove a bunch of the outliers (down to may 2%?), the real arithmetic weighted average is closer to 7.3.  So about the same as the other two movies.

So are the 18% of 10's an outlier or naw?

• Like 1

Just now, Bullet Club said:

So are the 18% of 10's an outlier or naw?

I know I rated TLJ 10/10 after first seeing it.  It's probably genuine from a lot of them.  I have since changed my rating of TLJ to 8/10. 

All I know is that people are less likely to irrationally defend something they don't like and gave a fair chance than people are to crap on something they didn't give a fair chance. 

The movie is realistically a 7.0/10. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I know I rated TLJ 10/10 after first seeing it.  It's probably genuine from a lot of them.  I have since changed my rating of TLJ to 8/10. 

All I know is that people are less likely to irrationally defend something they don't like and gave a fair chance than people are to crap on something they didn't give a fair chance. 

I don't disagree. With everything available to us right now it seems in that 6.5-7 area. However, something I've seen a ton lately is 10/10's on IMDB and 5 stars on RT audience and then the actual description is along the lines of "I don't get the hate, it's pretty good" or "It's not that bad". That's not a 10/10, that's shilling. I genuinely don't know if that's the case for RoS but that's literally every good review for Black Christmas.

8 hours ago, theJ said:

Currently sitting at 6.9 on IMDb. I was conflicted on whether I should bother seeing this in theaters. I'm not super excited about it, and knowing this score will probably drop over the next few weeks confirms it. 

I have Disney plus. I can wait until it hits that. 

Do you like Star wars?  Was it part of your early movie going experiences?  Then go.  It's like a 2 hour and under $10 investment.  Then decode for yourself.  I enjoyed it.  Will probably see it a couple more times before it goes into hibernation before home release.

9 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Do you like Star wars?  Was it part of your early movie going experiences?  Then go.  It's like a 2 hour and under $10 investment.  Then decode for yourself.  I enjoyed it.  Will probably see it a couple more times before it goes into hibernation before home release.

You're implying that just because its a Star Wars movie that it will be a good experience for him. Not True. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You're implying that just because its a Star Wars movie that it will be a good experience for him. Not True. 

I didn't say that.  I said if you have enjoyed them, go see it and decide for yourself, instead of having to be convinced to give it a try.  You either want to or you don't.  If you have to be convinced, you really didn't want to anyway

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

TLJ was weird. I left the theater thinking "I think I liked that". Then I saw it again, and liked it less. I have seen it twice since it left theaters so 4 total and I just don't like it much at all anymore, especially last week when I ran through the series 

I feel as a standalone movie, the cinematography etc was great, but I didn't like it as a Star Wars movie

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

TLJ was weird. I left the theater thinking "I think I liked that". Then I saw it again, and liked it less. I have seen it twice since it left theaters so 4 total and I just don't like it much at all anymore, especially last week when I ran through the series 

I feel as a standalone movie, the cinematography etc was great, but I didn't like it as a Star Wars movie

I rate it higher than I should purely because of its depiction of Luke Skywalker and the killing of Snoke.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I rate it higher than I should purely because of its depiction of Luke Skywalker and the killing of Snoke.

I was ok with Luke becoming what he was, but I really didn't like Hamill's portrayal of it. We all know he hated it and it seemed like he wasn't invested. I cringe at some of his moments in TLJ, but his last few scenes are great.

Yoda honestly had the best moment in that movie for me, by far. 

Edited by JBURGE