***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Endgame

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah TBH I’d be surprised if it sniffs 2B.   1B is a lock imo.   Getting to 1.4B (AoU numbers) seems less than 50-50 except for the international love.  

Avatar came out of nowhere but the story setting originality and leap in graphical quality isn’t there.  I’m pretty confident it will still be a 3x+ moneymaker for Disney & co. unless the budget goes nuts.   But top 10 contender let alone all time contender seems like a stretch.   

If it wasn’t for the 3D technology that was a breakthrough in filmmaking at the time , the movie wouldn’t have made as much.

• 2 weeks later...

As a footnote to how different the eras we now live in - Endgame’s presales for home video release are now also setting all-time records.  That’s a mark on how truly impressive the movie journey has been - while it’s hard to deny how movies like Gone With The Wind did in terms of today’s dollars, the competition and alternatives that exist now (esp with the summer competition) it’s really a testament to its staying power to get to #1.  

https://deadline.com/2019/07/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-broken-russo-brothers-fandangonow-presales-1202656364/

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

As a footnote to how different the eras we now live in - Endgame’s presales for home video release are now also setting all-time records.  That’s a mark on how truly impressive the movie journey has been - while it’s hard to deny how movies like Gone With The Wind did in terms of today’s dollars, the competition and alternatives that exist now (esp with the summer competition) it’s really a testament to its staying power to get to #1.  

https://deadline.com/2019/07/avengers-endgame-box-office-records-broken-russo-brothers-fandangonow-presales-1202656364/

I truly cannot remember the last time that I purchased a DVD or Blueray. I think maybe 2014 for GOTG 1? But I'm seriously considering buying this. Such a great movie and conclusion to an epic, decade long journey.

6 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I truly cannot remember the last time that I purchased a DVD or Blueray. I think maybe 2014 for GOTG 1? But I'm seriously considering buying this. Such a great movie and conclusion to an epic, decade long journey.

Especially since Blu Ray is going the way of the dodo. But yeah same here.  Haven’t bought one in over 5 years either.   If not longer.   

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Especially since Blu Ray is going the way of the dodo. But yeah same here.  Haven’t bought one in over 5 years either.   If not longer.   

I'd still rather buy Blu Ray than a digital copy.  I just don't trust that anything i own digitally will still be there 20 years from now.

But i do have faith that i'll be able to rip my Blu Ray's to my own digital archive and that will still be around years from now.

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'd still rather buy Blu Ray than a digital copy.  I just don't trust that anything i own digitally will still be there 20 years from now.

But i do have faith that i'll be able to rip my Blu Ray's to my own digital archive and that will still be around years from now.

I agree even with video games I prefer the BR ROM format even though there it’s far more difficult to create an individual archive.   But the disc model is becoming more & more niche.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Universal Digital Copy has literally just tanked, not a single one of my blu rays has disappeared, and you're saying they're going the way of the dodo? 

You can either:

1.Buy digital and hope the host of that digital content does not tank
2. Rely on streaming services to have what you want available.
3. Rent digital copies when you feel like watching a certain movie.

1. I've had two digital movie sites tank on me.
2. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon... Literally all three of them have decreased in movies available and continue to decrease since 2010.  Netflix alone lost over 2,500 movies.  That's not movies that have been available then weren't, that's the total number of movies available on the streaming service.  Then you have to consider the quality of movies on them. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-movie-catalog-size-has-gone-down-since-2010-2018-2

https://www.finder.com/netflix-movies

As you can see from the second link, the movies are not great quality.  There is literally a movie called Selfie, and there is literally a movie called Selfie 69.  So from the first link, there are 4,000 movies available on Netflix and two of them have the world Selfie in the title. 

Look at the horror movies available.  Twinsanity, The Disappointments Room, Seven in Heaven, Satanic, Phobia 2...

Realistically speaking, there are 50-100 movies worth watching at any time on Netflix.  And Netflix is the best.  Now consider Amazon, Hulu... The movies available are crap.  My collection of blu rays is better than literally all three of them combined.  It has horror, comedy, classics, drama, action, adventure, horror... I have a movie for literally every mood. 

And considering all these streaming channels make 10 TV shows for every movie they have for streaming, there will be less and less availability for a good movie to watch.

I am not denying that blu ray sales are declining, but to say they're going extinct is stupid.  Last time I looked there are still CDs for sale and music is 10,000 times more likely to be owned digitally. 

If anything, the advent of streaming and digital is the best possible news for blu ray.  Just like the CD has not changed and is not likely to change, with streaming, there is not likely to be an improvement on the blu ray.  We went from VHS to DVD to blu ray in probably ten years? 

I know I'm gonna get made fun of for this post but I don't even care because people who say physical copies of games or movies are worthless these days I do not even understand.  That's not an I'm old and out of touch thing, either.  There is an obvious, intrinsic value to owning a physical copy of something over a non-physical copy. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Universal Digital Copy has literally just tanked, not a single one of my blu rays has disappeared, and you're saying they're going the way of the dodo? 

You can either:

1.Buy digital and hope the host of that digital content does not tank
2. Rely on streaming services to have what you want available.
3. Rent digital copies when you feel like watching a certain movie.

1. I've had two digital movie sites tank on me.
2. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon... Literally all three of them have decreased in movies available and continue to decrease since 2010.  Netflix alone lost over 2,500 movies.  That's not movies that have been available then weren't, that's the total number of movies available on the streaming service.  Then you have to consider the quality of movies on them. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-movie-catalog-size-has-gone-down-since-2010-2018-2

https://www.finder.com/netflix-movies

As you can see from the second link, the movies are not great quality.  There is literally a movie called Selfie, and there is literally a movie called Selfie 69.  So from the first link, there are 4,000 movies available on Netflix and two of them have the world Selfie in the title. 

Look at the horror movies available.  Twinsanity, The Disappointments Room, Seven in Heaven, Satanic, Phobia 2...

Realistically speaking, there are 50-100 movies worth watching at any time on Netflix.  And Netflix is the best.  Now consider Amazon, Hulu... The movies available are crap.  My collection of blu rays is better than literally all three of them combined.  It has horror, comedy, classics, drama, action, adventure, horror... I have a movie for literally every mood. 

And considering all these streaming channels make 10 TV shows for every movie they have for streaming, there will be less and less availability for a good movie to watch.

I am not denying that blu ray sales are declining, but to say they're going extinct is stupid.  Last time I looked there are still CDs for sale and music is 10,000 times more likely to be owned digitally. 

If anything, the advent of streaming and digital is the best possible news for blu ray.  Just like the CD has not changed and is not likely to change, with streaming, there is not likely to be an improvement on the blu ray.  We went from VHS to DVD to blu ray in probably ten years? 

I know I'm gonna get made fun of for this post but I don't even care because people who say physical copies of games or movies are worthless these days I do not even understand.  That's not an I'm old and out of touch thing, either.  There is an obvious, intrinsic value to owning a physical copy of something over a non-physical copy. 

Easy there.   Read my post above - I prefer hard format myself.   If you want to quibble over the dodo term, sure, no problem.   It's not that important to me.   

The overarching point is that ppl are making media purchases more & more selectively because digital media is what is being pushed & used.    It used to be blu ray is the only game in town to keep copies.  That's clearly not the case.   It's what makes even considering to buy hard copies such a bigger distinction for the average consumer, and why disc sales are in decline.   It's just a recognition of how special IW/Endgame will end up IMO with the test of time, as the original point.    

Edited by Broncofan

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Easy there.   Read my post above - I prefer hard format myself.   If you want to quibble over the dodo term, sure, no problem.   It's not that important to me.   

The overarching point is that ppl are making media purchases more & more selectively because digital media is what is being pushed & used.    It used to be blu ray is the only game in town to keep copies.  That's clearly not the case.   It's what makes even considering to buy hard copies such a bigger distinction for the average consumer, and why disc sales are in decline.   It's just a recognition of how special IW/Endgame will end up IMO with the test of time, as the original point.    

I know, and like I said, I know people are purchasing physical less, and the stupidity of that bothers me.  I like to have what I own.  

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I agree with this, and @Outpost31 post.  

It basically goes like this:

- People used to buy DVD's almost exclusively because you could buy for just a little more cost and the same hassle as renting a DVD.

- Now people can rent with zero friction on a number of streaming services if they just want to see a movie once and not own it forever (i do this all the time for the random Friday night family movie night)

If i really like a movie, i'll buy it still on Blu Ray.  It's still the only real way to forever own a film.  And until something replaces the way we store things digitally, you can own them forever because you buy a blu ray disc drive and the appropriate software and rip them to a hard drive.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I know, and like I said, I know people are purchasing physical less, and the stupidity of that bothers me.  I like to have what I own.  

I just think that has more to do with the reduced friction of renting a film for a few dollars from Google Play, Amazon, etc as opposed to buying a physical copy.  Especially if you don't think you'll want to watch it again.

Just now, theJ said:

I agree with this, and @Outpost31 post.  

It basically goes like this:

- People used to buy DVD's almost exclusively because you could buy for just a little more cost and the same hassle as renting a DVD.

- Now people can rent with zero friction on a number of streaming services if they just want to see a movie once and not own it forever (i do this all the time for the random Friday night family movie night)

If i really like a movie, i'll buy it still on Blu Ray.  It's still the only real way to forever own a film.  And until something replaces the way we store things digitally, you can own them forever because you buy a blu ray disc drive and the appropriate software and rip them to a hard drive.

This depends entirely on when you buy/rent it. 

Digital rentals come before blu ray release at 15 dollars to rent.  Blu ray and digital release a week or so later at 22 dollars to own, plus digital, plus DVD. 

if there's the slightest chance I would watch a movie again, I buy it. 

31 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This depends entirely on when you buy/rent it. 

Digital rentals come before blu ray release at 15 dollars to rent.  Blu ray and digital release a week or so later at 22 dollars to own, plus digital, plus DVD. 

if there's the slightest chance I would watch a movie again, I buy it. 

Where are you looking at renting?  I rent from Google Play all the time, and have never seen one over $5.99.  Usually those are the 4k versions too.