***Spoiler Thread*** Avengers: Endgame

Deadpulse

50 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Kang or Galactus would be my guess.   It's got to be universe-level. 

I disagree. They just dealt with universe-level. Can't just wash-rinse-repeat. Doom would be perfect after a few years.

Regarding Black Widow-Russo's answer

Q: Can you get the soul your sacrificed for the Soul Stone back when you return it?

A: No, the process is irreversible. Even if you have returned it to its original location, you wouldn't be able to get the person back. In fact, it's not really returning the stone, more like put it back properly. The tribute soul for the soul stone will forever be sealed in that place, therefore Black Widow is gone forever.

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I disagree. They just dealt with universe-level. Can't just wash-rinse-repeat. Doom would be perfect after a few years.

If they can build Doom up, I'd be on board.   Re: my comment on universe-level, note my comment after - gotta keep the humanity in the stakes, otherwise yes, it becomes wash-rinse-repeat.   If they can find a credible threat to build up (Doom is that guy for sure that's Earth-original), all good.    It will take a while, though.   That's one advantage that Thanos had - a scope of 3 phases to build the payoff for.  I don't ever see a payoff taking that long to deliver, now that expectations and the bar is set this high, and how impatient our society is in general (remember back in the day when it used to be 2-3 years between episodic movies?).

5 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Regarding Black Widow-Russo's answer

Q: Can you get the soul your sacrificed for the Soul Stone back when you return it?

A: No, the process is irreversible. Even if you have returned it to its original location, you wouldn't be able to get the person back. In fact, it's not really returning the stone, more like put it back properly. The tribute soul for the soul stone will forever be sealed in that place, therefore Black Widow is gone forever.

Given they got Gamora back into the MCU, I'd never say never.  Just that you can't get THAT version of Black Widow back.

6 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Why wouldn't his daughter be alive? She was far from the fighting.

They didn't reset anything, when they brought everyone back 5 years had still passed, it's still currently 2023 in the MCU. Literally all he did was wipe out Thanos and his army... They didn't go back to when Thanos originally succeeded or anything.

Tony and Pepper’s daughter existed from the post-snap timeline. They had her after Tony got back from space with Nebula.  Pepper wasn’t pregnant and she didn’t come out to the ship with an infant.  The Avengers’ mission was to save everyone who died before the snap.  But Tony also wanted to make sure he still had his daughter who didn’t exist before the snap.  

In Infinity War, Tony told Pepper about his dream/vision of them having a son, not a daughter.  We have no way of knowing if they would have had a son or daughter if Thanos was defeated and Tony was never lost in space.  

I have no problem with him doing this but it is anomaly in the larger scheme of things.  Maybe Bruce is the one who ensured Pepper was pregnant with Morgan when he had the gauntlet and not Tony, but it still is more than “Bruce brought everyone back and Tony killed Thanos and his army.”

Edited by thrILL!

33 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Tony and Pepper’s daughter existed from the post-snap timeline. They had her after Tony got back from space with Nebula.  Pepper wasn’t pregnant and she didn’t come out to the ship with an infant.  The Avengers’ mission was to save everyone who died before the snap.  But Tony also wanted to make sure he still had his daughter who didn’t exist before the snap.  

In Infinity War, Tony told Pepper about his dream/vision of them having a son, not a daughter.  We have no way of knowing if they would have had a son or daughter if Thanos was defeated and Tony was never lost in space.  

I have no problem with him doing this but it is anomaly in the larger scheme of things.  Maybe Bruce is the one who ensured Pepper was pregnant with Morgan when he had the gauntlet and not Tony, but it still is more than “Bruce brought everyone back and Tony killed Thanos and his army.”

The movie clearly states this. The people who were snapped away were brought to the current timeline (2023). This would not do anything to Tony's daughter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Tony's daughter was only ever in danger if they never got back to their original timeline, but Tony solved that issue before ever trying.

The snapping by both characters had no affect on his daughter's existence. They both took place in the original timeline in 2023, after Morgan was already born.

Edited by seminoles1

BTW, while we debate what we think didn't work in Endgame (Nebula both versions still bugs me no end), I have to give some props for some really get continuity-payoff writing, namely:

1.  Nebula's sharing the same network - this allowed 2014 Thanos to get tipped off, but in a completely unexpected way to the Avengers.   It was definitely a great of way of time "messing back" with the Avengers messing with time.    It was completely unexpected, I could have not dreamed a plot twist like this - so I couldn't foresee the scale of battle witnessed at the end.  It was a clever, clever way to get the entire Thanos army pre-NY battle and the Children of Thanos back.  And of course, it allowed Gamora 2014 version to return and get around the Soul Stone paradox we are wrestling with re: Natasha's future.  A major prop to whoever thought that up.

2.  The Ultron scene with the hammer and the WS reveal of Howard's death - this was courtesy of the IGN article links - but the fact that they had that quick Zola slide show reveal that the WS was behind Stark's death, I completely missed it before the end scene in Civil War where Cap admitted he knew about Howard's death at the hands of Bucky.   But it pays off 1000000x more now - because with that reveal out of the way, instead of Cap only being able to budge Mjolnir in Ultron - he had full access.  He was fully worthy once that one blemish of staying quiet with Tony on the biggest secret affecting his life, well that was great continuity payoff.

3.  All the unexpected returns of side characters that didn't seem like they'd come back - Harley Keener at the funeral (the kid from IM3), Natalie Portman (who actually showed up in the movie credits, so I'm going with that to mean she actually shot the scenes), to having Redford bring the Secretary into the MCU 'verse earlier than expected with his New York entrance.  It showed an attention to detail and love for the past movies that has seldom been ever seen in mainstream movies. 

4.  The self-deprecation with the characters - from Rogers sighing tiredly at his 2012 version's line "I can do this all day" to Sam's "To Your Left" and Bucky's "you're taking all the stupid with you", to the rabbit references for Raccoon, and Stark returning the hug with Spidey (spoofing Spidey's first non-hug scene in Homecoming), it's a huge part of what makes the heroes relatable.  They do funny stuff we've all done before with our friends and family.   That really does add to the stakes of seeing the group not as an ensemble, but a family fighting for their loved ones.   It just so happens that with Stark (and Barton / Lang), their family was front and center, but the deeper family was the band of heroes themselves.

I can still see the flaws, but man, the depth of the love shown, and the amazing character moments and depth shown, it just still blows me away, after seeing it a 2nd time.   That 2nd time, I could also follow the complicated timeline angle, so I could understand their rules - while I still don't like them for Nebula and it smacks of self-serving TV interest for Loki, I get the rest.   It's going to be really interesting to see how much post-Stark snap fallout they deal with in Far From Home - given that it's really set up timeline-wise as the post-script to Phase 3, rather than the start of Phase 4.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Tony's daughter was only ever in danger if they never got back to their original timeline, but Tony solved that issue before ever trying.

The snapping by both characters had no affect on his daughter's existence. They both took place in the original timeline in 2023, after Morgan was already born.

I get what you guys are saying. It’s still an amalgamation of timelines.  The Ancient One’s convo with Bruce about time was pretty cool. Never would’ve expected that scene going in.  The surprises like this really were special and helped counter the forced humor and cliched moments in this movie. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

1.  Nebula's sharing the same network - this allowed 2014 Thanos to get tipped off, but in a completely unexpected way to the Avengers.   It was definitely a great of way of time "messing back" with the Avengers messing with time.    It was completely unexpected, I could have not dreamed a plot twist like this - so I couldn't foresee the scale of battle witnessed at the end.  It was a clever, clever way to get the entire Thanos army pre-NY battle and the Children of Thanos back.  And of course, it allowed Nebula to return and get around the Soul Stone paradox we are wrestling with re: Natasha's future.  A major prop to whoever thought that up.

I thought this was an awesome way for Thanos to find out about their plan. Altho I do find it difficult to believe Tony couldn’t foresee this problem being the tech expert and all.  Esp after spending so much time with her on the ship where he might’ve tried to use her tech to get them home.  I guess he was preoccupied. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Given they got Gamora back into the MCU, I'd never say never.  Just that you can't get THAT version of Black Widow back.

Theoretically couldn't they use the stones/Pym Particles to go back to 2021 and grab Black Widow from there and stick her into post-Endgame 2023? It's kinda what they're doing with Gamora.

6 minutes ago, daboyle250 said:

Theoretically couldn't they use the stones/Pym Particles to go back to 2021 and grab Black Widow from there and stick her into post-Endgame 2023? It's kinda what they're doing with Gamora.

Yes that’s possible but you can’t get 2023 post sacrifice Widow back.  That’s all I’m saying.