Athleticism vs. Football Intelligence

What kind of player do you prefer?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of player do you prefer?

• Someone who has great athletic ability, but is less interested in learning great technique.
    • Someone who demonstrates great position and technique, but has average athletic gifts.

Just like the age old question of what came first, the chicken or the egg, or New York Style Pizza vs Chicago Style...comes another crucial philosophical question to ponder and debate.  What kind of player do you hope the Vikings draft?  I'm not talking about position...rather, would you rather have someone who is a great athlete and relies on his superior athletic skills; or would you prefer someone who learns and plays with great technique, position, and intelligence?

I know my own preference.  Give me the smart guys who are great with technique, and know the game of football.  I think of Viking players like Fran Tarkenton, and Paul Krause from the golden era, and players like Thielen, O'Neill and Kendricks today.  Other players who fit this mold are Johnny Unitas, Fred Blitnikoff, Art Monk, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Gene Upshaw, and Deacon Jones.

Then there are those players who rely on their superior athletic talent for their whole careers.  Some of them wind up having great careers like Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss or Deion Sanders.  Others had to learn more about technique and position as opponents began to figure out how to neutralize their athleticism.  Jerry Rice comes to mind as does Ronnie Lott and Bruce Smith and Randall Cunningham to some degree.  And then there are some who just never figure it all out...Cordarelle Patterson and Percy Harvin.

What's your preference?

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Technique trumps all else by the time you get to the NFL. 

No, work ethic trumps all by the time you get to the NFL.  In the scenario VV provides above, 100 out of 100 times, the 2nd guy will be better over the long haul, because his work ethic will help him overcome his average talent.  You only have to show one example to prove that...Randy Moss vs. Jerry Rice.    

Can I have both? :D

I think it's selling guys like Thielen and O'Neill short to say that they are "technique" guys. Using RAS, O'Neill was in the top 4% of his draft class. Thielen was top 30%. In fact I would argue that O'Neill fits in the other category.

Certainly better technique will help overcome some athletic deficiencies, but only to a point. Give me someone that is willing to work on technique that has at least baseline athletic ability to succeed in the NFL.

Deep dish is tourist pizza. Real Chicago-style pizza is cracker thin crust cut tavern style. It predates deep dish pizza by about 20-30 years.

Neighborhood bars used to make it and serve it free as a way to get laborers to buy a couple of extra beers after work before heading home.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Great physical ability also gets you Jevon Kearse, Aaron Donald, and Calvin Johnson. I guess I don't understand why this is an either/or proposition. It's more about desire in my mind. Guys that have baseline NFL athleticism will differentiate themselves by effort. Guys that have greater physical ability and an equal desire to improve will always be better players in a vacuum.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Great physical ability also gets you Jevon Kearse, Aaron Donald, and Calvin Johnson. I guess I don't understand why this is an either/or proposition. It's more about desire in my mind. Guys that have baseline NFL athleticism will differentiate themselves by effort. Guys that have greater physical ability and an equal desire to improve will always be better players in a vacuum.

I understand your thinking.  Those great athletes that also become great technicians and improve their football intelligence are, by far, the optimum.  Yet, there are some great, great athletes that for whatever reason refuse to "learn" the finer aspects of playing their position.  Eventually, the really good defensive coordinators find ways to counter their athleticism and minimize their impact on the games.

I remember when Washington, during the George Allen era, had a DB by the name of Pat Fischer.  He was undersized and slower than molasses in January.  Yet, he was such a smart player and a great technician that he usually covered the other teams best receivers and minimized their effectiveness.  I hated the little twerp!!

Archived