Draft Lead-up Question 6 - QB, You Mad?

The Gnat

QB  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's the Earliest would you draft a QB?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • UDFA

New question up, this one comes up from a mock draft I did, what is the earliest you'd even consider drafting a QB?

What if Haskins fell to 18? Would you take someone like Tyree Jackson in round four? What's the earliest in this draft would you draft a QB?

Or because we have Mannion and Sloter as back-ups, do you not draft a QB?

I went with fourth round. Tyree Jackson is that QB who I would really like to get on this team, and I think someone who sitting a year or two (probably two), he could come in after Cousins and possibly raise the play level.

I still say Round 6 is, by far, the likeliest scenario on where the Vikings would take a QB.  I just don't think the QBs in this class are good enough to warrant taking one any earlier.  2020 is my target year to take one in either Rd 1 or Rd 2.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I still say Round 6 is, by far, the likeliest scenario on where the Vikings would take a QB.  I just don't think the QBs in this class are good enough to warrant taking one any earlier.  2020 is my target year to take one in either Rd 1 or Rd 2.

I agree with this but for a different reason. 

While a QB drafted in 2019, after round 1, would have a 4-year contract he'd have the benefit of sitting and learning for 2 years behind Kirk.

A QB drafted in 2020, also assume after round 1, would have a 4-year contract and sit for 1-year but the team would have one more year of control.

Pick your poison if you'd rather have said QB on the bench learning longer or the extra year of team control, would become 2 more years if said QB is a 1st in 2020.

12 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Nope.  Not drafting a QB until Cousins contract is done.

However....if Cousins contract wasn't an issue, I'd be looking at Dwayne Haskins as the qb I'd most want.

12 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Nope.  Not drafting a QB until Cousins contract is done.

I disagree with this sentiment, however, I could easily be talked out of drafting a QB this year. I think next season, draft a QB for the future, and if Cousins takes us to the promised land and we decide to keep him, we can hopefully flip the QB for some picks, if we invested a high pick in them. Even next year, I probably would say that 3rd is the earliest I'd want a QB. But not address QB is how you end up with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Archived