2019 Draft Weekend Discussion!

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

biggest weakness is his feet & movement ability.  BUT if we draft him i'm assuming he moves into Guard and that's not an issue

Yeah I get that but poor footwork in pass protection even at guard will be exposed. No prospect in the 2nd will be perfect I guess.

Just now, Dessie said:

Yeah I get that but poor footwork in pass protection even at guard will be exposed. No prospect in the 2nd will be perfect I guess.

His feet are poor for a OT but pretty solid for a OG.  Risner would be my #1 choice, think he becomes a pro bowl level OG.

My Guess: Rock Ya Sin or Risner - both fit what we're looking for as tough, high character guys.

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I hate taking lineman high when we have the WOAT Cable. It's such a waste of talent and potential. 

We need OL high to mask Cable terribleness. They just whiffed on Miller because he had a 2nd Round Grade. 

Risner gives you a Pro Bowl Guard and insurance at RT in case Kolton sucks. I’d have no problem with Risner. 

I hope we go Zach Allen though. You guys will not be disappointed. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We need OL high to mask Cable terribleness. They just whiffed on Miller because he had a 2nd Round Grade. 

Risner gives you a Pro Bowl Guard and insurance at RT in case Kolton sucks. I’d have no problem with Risner. 

I hope we go Zach Allen though. You guys will not be disappointed. 

I agree there are so many guys I want and that's the only reason I was disappointed we didn't net anything in a trade down day 1, but I'm very happy with the prospects. I guess we can just hope some trade block guys on our roster have value and prospects fall.

Thank god Mayock is our GM, not Gettlemen. 

Gettlemen said he never watched Daniel Jones before the senior bowl, saw three series of him at the Senior Bowl, and made up his mind that was his #6 pick in the draft.... yikes!!

I’m sure you guys know Daniel Jones was my QB6 in this draft. 

Not that I want one but I’m really curious where Will Grier, Ryan Finley, and Drew Lock go. I love watching QB Tape and see where they all fall. I hope to god the Pats don’t land Finley or Grier. Finley would be the next Tom Brady in the Earhrdt-Perkins system. 

Ok so after reflecting:

I still am kinda disappointed with Ferrell. I like him more than most edge rushers this year but at the same time, think his ceiling is low for a Top 5 pick. I like the high floor but I'm not sure I feel like he'll be a top tier rusher or warrant a good 2nd contract. In the vein of Frank Clark sorta. In the sense of he could be good but not worth paying Top DE money good. That being said, I like his hand usage and inside move. Plus his intangibles. I still maintain it would have been worth taking a low value deal to move down within the top 10 though. I feel so mad at the Jets still for taking Q.

I'm stoked on Jacobs though. I think he could really open up our offense. He runs angry, has some quicks too, and appears to possess solid balance. Plus he is a good receiver. They say JJ can pass protect but I haven't watched for it, so I'll not comment on it. I love his run blocks though. He lights defenders UP. Easily can imagine him in the backfield with Richard and I love that possibility. He could block for Richard or run it himself or pass block or both could run routes. Tantalizing.

Abram I like but don't love. I will say this: he could be a tone setter. And I love his enthusiasm. I guess I need to watch more of him in coverage, he looked ok but more like a box S. I suppose we can't count on our other safeties to do that job though. Can be overaggressive; I've seen him take good and bad angles. I want to watch more of him in coverage. Definitely could ring some WRs bells. Sorta feel bad for KJ but unfortunately, I think his fate was sealed when we got Joyner. Joseph is too small to cover TEs and Abram can be the box safety/intimidator. Big energy guy. Who knows, maybe he could be our Brian Dawkins sort of hype guy. Would love to see him refine his aggressiveness a little and need to watch more of him in coverage but I can't say I have a problem with him being the pick.

Excited for round 2. So many options. AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Greedy, Rock Ya Sin, Risner, Murphy.

3 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Ok so after reflecting:

I still am kinda disappointed with Ferrell. I like him more than most edge rushers this year but at the same time, think his ceiling is low for a Top 5 pick. I like the high floor but I'm not sure I feel like he'll be a top tier rusher or warrant a good 2nd contract. In the vein of Frank Clark sorta. In the sense of he could be good but not worth paying Top DE money good. That being said, I like his hand usage and inside move. Plus his intangibles. I still maintain it would have been worth taking a low value deal to move down within the top 10 though. I feel so mad at the Jets still for taking Q.

I'm stoked on Jacobs though. I think he could really open up our offense. He runs angry, has some quicks too, and appears to possess solid balance. Plus he is a good receiver. They say JJ can pass protect but I haven't watched for it, so I'll not comment on it. I love his run blocks though. He lights defenders UP. Easily can imagine him in the backfield with Richard and I love that possibility. He could block for Richard or run it himself or pass block or both could run routes. Tantalizing.

Abram I like but don't love. I will say this: he could be a tone setter. And I love his enthusiasm. I guess I need to watch more of him in coverage, he looked ok but more like a box S. I suppose we can't count on our other safeties to do that job though. Can be overaggressive; I've seen him take good and bad angles. I want to watch more of him in coverage. Definitely could ring some WRs bells. Sorta feel bad for KJ but unfortunately, I think his fate was sealed when we got Joyner. Joseph is too small to cover TEs and Abram can be the box safety/intimidator. Big energy guy. Who knows, maybe he could be our Brian Dawkins sort of hype guy. Would love to see him refine his aggressiveness a little and need to watch more of him in coverage but I can't say I have a problem with him being the pick.

Excited for round 2. So many options. AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Greedy, Rock Ya Sin, Risner, Murphy.

Theres some comfort that we still see things almost exactly the same after all this time. 

Jacobs was my favorite pick from yesterday, he wont ever be a top 3 back, but can i see having 1000-1200 rushing yards and 300-500 receiving yards and 10 total TDs regularly? Absolutely. We've been ok at times stat wise running the football, and having Lynch here was cool, but I feel like its been forever since we've had a running game that can take over a game. We havent had a physical presence back there that also has some youth and spring to their step. Murray had the size, but didnt run with authority. Jacobs is big, powerful, good vision, quick, and has some wiggle, also good in short yardage, the only hole he really has is a lack of game breaking speed, but thats ok. With the way our passing offense is set up (and the ceiling it could have) we dont have to have huge plays from the backfield. We need them to consistently keep us in front of the chains, churn out the hard yards, pass protect, and catch the football. Jacobs always seemed like a perfect match to me. Would I have liked to get Sweat at 24 and land Jacobs at 27? Absolutely. But I like adding that dimension to our offense. Its been lacking, and itll be good for DC to have a run game he can lean on. My favorite thing is actually the thing a lot of people knock him for, the lack of production. His lack of production comes from a lack of carries, not efficiency. He looks like a guy that can take the pounding, but he didn't have to in college, he is fresh and should be ready for a HEAVY workload for the next 4-5 years. It also pushes Crowell to the backup spot where I think hes one of the best change of pace guys you could ask for. Richard can now focus solely on being the receiving threat out of the backfield and in the slot. 

I agree completely on Ferrell. We left value on the table IMO, but hes a guy thats going to contribute and could be the leader of our defense. 

I like Abram a lot, I actually think hes a guy thats going to play SS and in the box, but i see skills that can translate to a guy that can cover backs and TEs. Hes not the MOST fluid safety you'll see, but he isnt ridiculously stiff either. Hes a guy that could play some single high IMO with his speed, range, and instincts (which are very good IMO). He was my number one safety, and I wouldnt have a guy in today's NFL as the top safety if he was strictly an in the box, run support safety, and a lot of analysts feel that same way. Plus like you mentioned he plays with a ton of passion, I can see him being the vocal leader of the backend. Him, Conley, and a guy like Greedy would be a terrific youth movement in the secondary qnd a still relatively young guy like Joyner to lead the way seems like a fantastic idea. Abram can be an elite safety IMO, but his floor is solid starter. I really like the pick, just slightly less than Jacobs but more than Ferrell. 

Archived