Which gm put themselves on the hot seat?

Kiwibrown

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Gettleman got criticized for taking Barkley over a QB, because supposedly you can't wait a year to take a QB, then takes a QB and its a problem.

And if it was as simple as people just not thinking Jones is good enough, I would understand.  But nobody was accepting that argument when pro-Barkley people would say there isn't any proof that Darnold is going to turn out to be good either.  I feel like he was in a lose/lose.  And not to suggest I think Jones > Haskins, but I don't think it's THAT big of a gap where its inconceivable Gettleman had him rated higher.  

This x100

Ultimately I think Gettlemen’s bravado makes him an easy target for media and fans

Just now, Gmen said:

This x100

Ultimately I think Gettlemen’s bravado makes him an easy target for media and fans

The problem isn't taking Barkley. The problem is taking DANIEL. JONES. 6th OVERALL. Dude shouldn't have been drafted until the mid 2nd at the EARLIEST. Heck I don't think he's even a day 2 pick personally. You had 2 elite defensive prospects available. You had a far superior QB prospect available who loved your team, who is now on a division rival.

Additionally trading away OBJ and using the return to reach on yet another person, Dexter Lawrence. Who would have been unnecessary entirely if you didn't trade away Damon Harrison for popcorn and a soda.

Edited by Danger
  • Like 6

I don't get all this Giants hate.  People are crapping all over Jones when he hasn't even played a game yet.  In a few years, if Jones turns out to be a really good player - what then?  This is extremely similar to New York Knicks fans booing Kristaps Porzingis when they picked him #4 overall a few years ago.  Then Stephen A. Smith when on that legendary rant about how that was such an awful pick, etc.  Porzingis turned out to be a really good player.

If you didn't have Daniel Jones ranked highly on your draft board, so what?  Who are you?  Why does your ranking of Jones matter?  This is classic overreactions without giving the guy a chance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

The problem isn't taking Barkley. The problem is taking DANIEL. JONES. 6th OVERALL. Dude shouldn't have been drafted until the mid 2nd at the EARLIEST. Heck I don't think he's even a day 2 pick personally. You had 2 elite defensive prospects available. You had a far superior QB prospect available who loved your team, who is now on a division rival.

Additionally trading away OBJ and using the return to reach on yet another person, Dexter Lawrence. Who would have been unnecessary entirely if you didn't trade away Damon Harrison for popcorn and a soda.

It’s also partially saying “we’re not reaching for a QB, we’re going BPA and taking Barkley” only to then reach for a QB the next year.

The fact that Jones isn’t anywhere near the prospect Darnold was only makes the situation look worse.

Especially when another QB most thought more highly of than Jones (Rosen) was available for day 2 picks.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't get all this Giants hate.  People are crapping all over Jones when he hasn't even played a game yet.  In a few years, if Jones turns out to be a really good player - what then?  This is extremely similar to New York Knicks fans booing Kristaps Porzingis when they picked him #4 overall a few years ago.  Then Stephen A. Smith when on that legendary rant about how that was such an awful pick, etc.  Porzingis turned out to be a really good player.

If you didn't have Daniel Jones ranked highly on your draft board, so what?  Who are you?  Why does your ranking of Jones matter?  This is classic overreactions without giving the guy a chance.

Do you follow the draft?

14 hours ago, showtime said:

I don't really care where players are projected at.  I don't really watch college football or get into the NFL Draft.  It's all a waste of time to me.  As long as they can play, I'm all for it.

Ah, that explains why you wouldn't get why he is getting "crapped on". 

This is a great article: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/23/18310437/daniel-jones-nfl-draft-hype-why

No seriously. Read it.

tl;dr he put up mediocre numbers against low level college tier teams, and bad numbers against mid-tier or higher level college teams. He has no standout attributes, with an unimpressive arm, ability to diagnose the field, accuracy, and poise. What he DOES have however is a head coach who was the QB Coach for Peyton Manning at Tennessee, and the Head Coach for Eli Manning at Ole Miss, David Cutcliffe. 

This move is both nepotism, and old-fashioned in it's way of thinking. Not to mention Gettleman is not holding to one philosophy just making up whatever excuse he wants on the fly.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Do you follow the draft?

This is a great article: https://www.sbnation.com/2019/4/23/18310437/daniel-jones-nfl-draft-hype-why

No seriously. Read it.

tl;dr he put up mediocre numbers against low level college tier teams, and bad numbers against mid-tier or higher level college teams. He has no standout attributes, with an unimpressive arm, ability to diagnose the field, accuracy, and poise. What he DOES have however is a head coach who was the QB Coach for Peyton Manning at Tennessee, and the Head Coach for Eli Manning at Ole Miss, David Cutcliffe. 

This move is both nepotism, and old-fashioned in it's way of thinking. Not to mention Gettleman is not holding to one philosophy just making up whatever excuse he wants on the fly.  

I never watched a single game Daniel Jones played in when he was at Duke.  I don't care about any of that stuff.  So you're telling me right now there's no chance that Daniel Jones is a good QB?

Nepotism?  They drafted a guy #6 overall because they believe he's really good.  You honestly think they took Jones that highly just because the Manning's like him?  Lol

1 minute ago, showtime said:

I never watched a single game Daniel Jones played in when he was at Duke.  I don't care about any of that stuff.  So you're telling me right now there's no chance that Daniel Jones is a good QB?

Nepotism?  They drafted a guy #6 overall because they believe he's really good.  You honestly think they took Jones that highly just because the Manning's like him?  Lol

About as good of a chance as Kyle Lauletta at being a good QB in the NFL.

Yes. That is precisely why they took him. Gettleman thinks because of Cutcliffe's word and Eli Manning's word that Daniel Jones is a much QB than ALL evidence points to the contrary. 

You seem to follow along Gettleman's same philosophy though. Don't pay any attention to the evidence and just listen to whatever those around you that you trust say is good.

Edited by Danger

Of course there is, the odds are just lower than some of the other guys they passed on.

You don’t think personal relationships can skew opinions?

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

Do you follow the draft?

No seriously. Read it.

Copied from a different forum :

1) Last season, among all 64 Power-5 teams, Duke ranked 20th in passing grade, 7th-worst in receiving grade, and 2nd-worst in pass-blocking grade.

Scott Barrett
@ScottBarrettDFB
2) Last season Jones' receivers dropped 36 of his passes, which ranked third-worst in the Power-5. No QB lost more yards in air on dropped passes last year (525, 100+ more than the next-closest QB.)

3) Last season, among all Combine-invite QBs, Jones was pressured on 25.2% of his dropbacks (most), despite having the shortest time to throw on average (2.37s).

For perspective, Murray was pressured on only 13.2% of his dropbacks while averaging 3.06 seconds to throw.

Bottom line is Jones was on a terrible team. Put him on Ohio State or Oklahoma and the quarterback rankings look much different 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danger said:

About as good of a chance as Kyle Lauletta at being a good QB in the NFL.

Yes. That is precisely why they took him. Gettleman thinks because of Cutcliffe's word and Eli Manning's word that Daniel Jones is a much QB than ALL evidence points to the contrary. 

So basically, they don't have any knowledge of any players in the draft.  They just listen to Eli Manning's opinion of guys and make franchise changing decisions based off of that. 

Eli Manning seems underpaid.  He's the starting QB and the GM.  I would demand a raise if I was him.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course there is, the odds are just lower than some of the other guys they passed on.

You don’t think personal relationships can skew opinions?

Lets put it a better way. 

He has a considerably lower chance than Josh Rosen who we can confirm could have been had for the giants SECOND round pick, at being successful in the NFL.

Gettleman is inept.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, showtime said:

I don't get all this Giants hate.  People are crapping all over Jones when he hasn't even played a game yet.  In a few years, if Jones turns out to be a really good player - what then? 

Well then we were wrong and we should eat crow.

On the evidence we have though, we can be almost certain they've massively reached when clear team-improving options were available. 

But we'll see. I'd admit if wrong.

• Like 4

Just now, showtime said:

So basically, they don't have any knowledge of any players in the draft.  They just listen to Eli Manning's opinion of guys and make franchise changing decisions based off of that. 

Eli Manning seems underpaid.  He's the starting QB and the GM.  I would demand a raise if I was him.

Eli Manning is overpaid these days, but I digress. 

Gettleman asked likely asked Eli what he thought of Daniel Jones, and Eli vouched for his mentor David Cutcliffe's word without much thought into it.

Daniel Jones might not be the biggest bust in NFL History, but at the time of being drafted, he's the biggest REACH in NFL history from a pure value perspective.

10 minutes ago, Danger said:

Eli Manning is overpaid these days, but I digress. 

Gettleman asked likely asked Eli what he thought of Daniel Jones, and Eli vouched for his mentor David Cutcliffe's word without much thought into it.

Daniel Jones might not be the biggest bust in NFL History, but at the time of being drafted, he's the biggest REACH in NFL history from a pure value perspective.

I think we should make this simpler.

Ahem...

Daniel Jones sucked in college BUT if they realllly wanted him, they could have - with either of their later picks.