Which gm put themselves on the hot seat?

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So should we just not have an opinion or what?

I mean, I get being positive and all, but discussing different viewpoints is kind of the point of the site.  It wouldn’t make for much in the way of conversation if all we said is “I hope everything works out well for them, he seems like a good kid.”

You can have an opinion.  To me it's just funny that some people's minds are made up about Daniel Jones like they know something nobody else does, even though they've never seen him take one professional snap yet.

7 minutes ago, showtime said:

You can have an opinion.  To me it's just funny that some people's minds are made up about Daniel Jones like they know something nobody else does, even though they've never seen him take one professional snap yet.

I don’t think most folks minds are made or anything, I just think it’s a pretty common opinion that he’s not nearly as highly thought of as a prospect as some of the guys Gettleman passed on.

1 hour ago, Jaguarfan said:

I mean I've never met him either, but I've read his tweets and seen interviews with him. I've also seen his on field demeanor. He's kind of a d-bag. That doesn't mean he's not good. He's not Manziel. He'll still succeed I'm sure, there are plenty of d-bags in the NFL. 

And that's correct, he hasn't faced the criticisms that say, Josh Rosen has faced, because he hasn't had any real adversity in his career yet. He was picked first overall and had a record breaking rookie year. His early season struggles are completely attributed to him having the worst coach in sports history. 

So no, he probably shouldn't be whining on twitter. He has the right to, but it further makes him look immature. Again, look at the Arian Foster thing. Foster made an offhand joke and Baker threw a fit and acted like a child. He's what, like 24? He's a bit immature. 

Not particularly surprised to see you defending him given that you're a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle biased. 

Tayne nominates this post for the Chiavertini: worst post of the 2019 draft season.

sxso0xaofrrfzgaq3kqb

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think most folks minds are made or anything, I just think it’s a pretty common opinion that he’s not nearly as highly thought of as a prospect as some of the guys Gettleman passed on.

The #6 overall pick in the draft has as much of a chance at being as good QB as Kyle Lauletta.  That's a paraphrase in this thread.  And I don't just mean in this thread, I mean in general.  People who are upset, saying Jones sucks, etc.  Guy hasn't even played yet and there's this massive uproar. 

I think Dak Prescott was a 3rd or 4th round pick.  If the Cowboys took him in the top 10 and he still had the same impact he has had, nobody would care that he was drafted there because he's helped to lead the Cowboys to the playoffs two times in the three years he's been in the league. 

Basically, it doesn't matter where anyone is drafted.  The Giants desperately needed a QB for the future and they got one.  If Jones can play, nobody will care where he was drafted.

I was just listening to Joel Klatt, who I really like, talk about the Daniel Jones pick.  He compared Jones' stats vs Haskins' stats against top 25 yards per play defenses.  He said Jones threw for 59% completions, 230 yards per game, 5 TD's and 3 INTs.  He said Haskins was 63%, almost 300 yards per game, 15 TDs, and 1 INT.

What about the part where Ohio State was INFINITELY more talented than Duke?  What about the MASSIVE head coaching advantage Haskins has over Jones?  I guess that wasn't important enough to bring up.  Ohio State is one of the best teams in the nation, so when they play other top teams it's more of an even battle (they're better than nearly all teams in the country tho).  Whereas if Duke plays a top team, they're at a disadvantage.  Why isn't this brought up when talking about the stats?

Football is a team sport, yet all these people are talking about are individual stats.  Duke went 8-5 on the season.  They've improved as a team in wins all three years that Jones played.  Ohio State went 13-1.  That's a freaking powerhouse football school. 

If Jones played for a team like OSU, Oklahoma or one of these other top notch programs what would his stats be?  Who knows?  Maybe better than they were at Duke. 

People always do this.  I remember a few years ago, people did this to D'Angelo Russell (PG, Ohio State).  He had a good season, but people said, "Yea, but when he faced top teams he struggled."  That was true, but Ohio State isn't a basketball powerhouse.  Russell's teams weren't as talented as Arizona, Duke, Kentucky, etc.  But I watched Russell that entire season and the kid could freaking play. 

I'm not saying that's Daniel Jones, but I'm just saying.

For all this talk about Gettleman, and whether it's warranted or not, the real right answer is Steve Keim who has somehow escaped being mentioned in this thread.

- Fired a head coach he hired a year ago.

- About to trade away a QB he drafted a year ago, in the top ten, and traded up for.

- Drafted another QB #1 overall.  He's relying heavy on A) Murray being good enough (and fast - I don't see Keim surviving 1 or 2 years of Murray playing below average relative to rookie QBs) to make up for giving up on Rosen a year in, and B) Rosen not going somewhere else and tearing it up.

If his seat isn't as hot as Gettleman's, then its only because Arizona doesn't get the same kind of media spotlight.  If the Cardinals suck again and it seems like Kingsbury and Murray weren't the right choices, then there is no way he isn't fired after this season.  I could see Gettleman surviving another disappointing year, especially if Manning is the one manning the sinking ship because at least he would have the excuse of Jones not being the starter yet, but Keim?  He's done.  

Or at least you would think so, anyway.  I didn't think a GM could survive messing up on the head coach and QB decisions in the same offseason but alas.

5 minutes ago, showtime said:

The #6 overall pick in the draft has as much of a chance at being as good QB as Kyle Lauletta.  That's a paraphrase in this thread.  And I don't just mean in this thread, I mean in general.  People who are upset, saying Jones sucks, etc.  Guy hasn't even played yet and there's this massive uproar. 

To be fair, a lot of people wouldn’t have had him rated anywhere near the 6th pick. Just because someone took him high doesn’t make him a great prospect. Trust me, I know, we drafted Quinn and Weeden in the first round. 😂 

I think Dak Prescott was a 3rd or 4th round pick.  If the Cowboys took him in the top 10 and he still had the same impact he has had, nobody would care that he was drafted there because he's helped to lead the Cowboys to the playoffs two times in the three years he's been in the league. 

I mean, I get the only thing that matters is the end result, but again, it makes for a pretty boring discussion on a draft forum.  

No one is saying he can’t or won’t be good, just that as far as QB prospects go, he was overdrafted based on his ability comparatively to his peers.

Basically, it doesn't matter where anyone is drafted.  The Giants desperately needed a QB for the future and they got one.  If Jones can play, nobody will care where he was drafted.

Sounds like a fun draft day thread...

showtime:  “So what do we think??”

everyone else:  “I guess we’ll see in 5 years, they all look to have given it a good try.”

What about the MASSIVE head coaching advantage Haskins has over Jones?  I guess that wasn't important enough to bring up. 

Might wanna google that Duke HC, he’s the reason Jones was drafted where he was.  Nobody at OSU has his resume with QB’s. 

Ohio State is one of the best teams in the nation, so when they play other top teams it's more of an even battle (they're better than nearly all teams in the country tho).  Whereas if Duke plays a top team, they're at a disadvantage.  Why isn't this brought up when talking about the stats?

Pretty sure it has been....

Football is a team sport, yet all these people are talking about are individual stats.  Duke went 8-5 on the season.  They've improved as a team in wins all three years that Jones played.  Ohio State went 13-1.  That's a freaking powerhouse football school. 

If Jones played for a team like OSU, Oklahoma or one of these other top notch programs what would his stats be?  Who knows?  Maybe better than they were at Duke. 

And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle.... people can only evaluate based on what they’ve seen.  I haven’t heard many folks knock him for not making Duke a national contender.

5 hours ago, showtime said:

Jones has a low ceiling, low floor, and isn't likely to reach his ceiling. 

Sure he could. There's a possibility he becomes a top 15 QB, but he'll never be higher than 12-15, on the slimmest of chances he realizes his full potential.

7 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

I'm not getting worked up, and I'm also not a millionaire who should have better things to do than whine on twitter. 

Pulling the "I don't know him" card is pretty dumb. I don't know Antonio Brown personally. I seriously doubt that you know Antonio Brown. But I'm pretty sure either of us could comfortably say that he's a headcase. 

But I guess that's me getting worked up again 9_9

I'm sorry that your QB is a bit of a ******. I think you guys will be alright lol

Mayfield is a voice for his teammates, his former teammates and NFL players. He will battle for his guys whether it is in his best interest or not. Just who he is. It will rub some people and some media members the wrong way. He doesn't care. His teammates love him whether in college or the NFL. Other NFL players seem to love him. He will likely be the loudest voice of the players sooner than later. With that comes scrutiny. He knows that. There is a chance he becomes bigger than his position.

Archived