Which gm put themselves on the hot seat?

Kiwibrown

57 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

It doesn't matter how good Barkley is, a franchise Quarterback is worth more.

So would you draft JaMarcus Russell over Saquon Barkley?  Ryan Leaf?  Johnny Manziel?  Akili Smith?  Robert Griffin III?  I'm not saying Darnold is going to go down that road, but it's not as simple as, "QB is more important than RB, thus you always take QB over RB."  The prospect matters.

Heck, do you think the Giants should straight up trade Barkley for Dalton?  Or Carr?  Or any of the other average NFL QBs who you could technically say are franchise guys?  

The franchise QB is more important than RB (and any other position, but the same argument is never made when a team takes a OL over a QB).  But we can't ignore context.  If the Giants don't think Darnold will become a franchise QB, what sense does it make to take him over Barkley?  Yea, I guess if you think Darnold is going to be turn out to be a good QB... then yeah, I guess they should have taken Darnold.  But what if he doesn't?  Is it still somehow a bad pick?  

If it isn't about how good the RB is and a franchise QB is more important no matter what, then would you take Matt Stafford (a franchise QB) over Walter Payton?  Or Barry Sanders?  Or LDT? 

We already know Barkley is a HOF-level back.  He showed that last season.  For all we know, Darnold is going to be no better than a Dalton (and IMO, that's what I see him as - I don't really get the hype with him personally).  Yet people are acting like it's an open and shut case that Barkley over Darnold was some disastrous decision.  Makes no sense to me.  It's almost like people would rather fail with a QB than have one of the best offensive players to enter the league in the last decade or two... and I don't get it.

RB just gets too much hate on this forum.  Belichick, who anyone with an opinion that matters would agree is one of the best football minds of all-time, drafted a RB in the 1st last year.  And drafted another one high this year.  I don't think Belichick is doing that if RBs aren't that important (I know you weren't suggesting that, but a lot of people do).  

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

So would you draft JaMarcus Russell over Saquon Barkley?  Ryan Leaf?  Johnny Manziel?  Akili Smith?  Robert Griffin III?  I'm not saying Darnold is going to go down that road, but it's not as simple as, "QB is more important than RB, thus you always take QB over RB."  The prospect matters.

Heck, do you think the Giants should straight up trade Barkley for Dalton?  Or Carr?  Or any of the other average NFL QBs who you could technically say are franchise guys?  

The franchise QB is more important than RB (and any other position, but the same argument is never made when a team takes a OL over a QB).  But we can't ignore context.  If the Giants don't think Darnold will become a franchise QB, what sense does it make to take him over Barkley?  Yea, I guess if you think Darnold is going to be turn out to be a good QB... then yeah, I guess they should have taken Darnold.  But what if he doesn't?  Is it still somehow a bad pick?  

If it isn't about how good the RB is and a franchise QB is more important no matter what, then would you take Matt Stafford (a franchise QB) over Walter Payton?  Or Barry Sanders?  Or LDT? 

We already know Barkley is a HOF-level back.  He showed that last season.  For all we know, Darnold is going to be no better than a Dalton (and IMO, that's what I see him as - I don't really get the hype with him personally).  Yet people are acting like it's an open and shut case that Barkley over Darnold was some disastrous decision.  Makes no sense to me.  It's almost like people would rather fail with a QB than have one of the best offensive players to enter the league in the last decade or two... and I don't get it.

RB just gets too much hate on this forum.  Belichick, who anyone with an opinion that matters would agree is one of the best football minds of all-time, drafted a RB in the 1st last year.  And drafted another one high this year.  I don't think Belichick is doing that if RBs aren't that important (I know you weren't suggesting that, but a lot of people do).  

Yeah I’d have the 15th best QB(around where stafford is)in the league over a HOF RB. I’ll take the 15th best player at every single position with the exception of Kicker and Punter over the best running back 

3 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Yeah I’d have the 15th best QB(around where stafford is)in the league over a HOF RB. I’ll take the 15th best player at every single position with the exception of Kicker and Punter over the best running back 

So you would take the 15th best cornerback in the NFL over Barry Sanders?

Come on now.  That's a terrible take.  If that is the case, then Bill Belichick (and any other GM/coach who has done so) are literally morons for ever taking a RB in the 1st round.  

And for what reason?  What evidence is there that a great RB correlates any more or less with team success than a great CB?  Or LB?  Or OL?  Or WR?  Nobody has been able to prove any correlation.  And anytime I prove there isn't a correlation (which I have), people just ignore it.  Whenever I prove that the whole "you can find Pro Bowl RBs in the 4th round easily" is a myth (which I have; it just feels that way because its easier to spot a good mid-round RB than it is a good mid-round OL because of the presence of stats), it's ignored.  The whole "RB isn't that important" is the biggest myth in the NFL among fans right now, by far. 

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

So you would take the 15th best cornerback in the NFL over Barry Sanders?

Come on now.

Absolutely. Positions aren’t created equally and CB is a much more valuable position then RB. Football games are won through the air

14 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Absolutely. Positions aren’t created equally and CB is a much more valuable position then RB. Football games are won through the air

Dude, at no point in NFL's history has any 15th ranked CB provided more value to his team than a HOF RB.  What you are saying isn't even "I'll take the best CB over the best RB", which I could maybe understand but would still be shortsighted in regards to context.  But the 15th best CB?  

Lets just use PFF's top 25 CBs list because that is the easiest route to go.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

You are taking Pierre Desir over Saquon Barkley?  

EDIT - Lets even do OL.  Not even specifically to positions on the line.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2018-nfl-season

Are you also taking Corey Linsley, the 15th ranked OL according to PFF, over Barkley?  If Sanders was playing today, you are taking him over Sanders too?  I don't believe that.  No way in the world.  If we got even more specific, would you really take the 15th best CENTER (who might not even be that good) over Barkley?

14 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Dude, at no point in NFL's history has any 15th ranked CB provided more value to his team than a HOF RB.  What you are saying isn't even "I'll take the best CB over the best RB", which I could maybe understand but would still be shortsighted in regards to context.  But the 15th best CB?  

Lets just use PFF's top 25 CBs list because that is the easiest route to go.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018

You are taking Pierre Desir over Saquon Barkley?  

EDIT - Lets even do OL.  Not even specifically to positions on the line.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2018-nfl-season

Are you also taking Corey Linsley, the 15th ranked OL according to PFF, over Barkley?  If Sanders was playing today, you are taking him over Sanders too?  I don't believe that.  No way in the world.  If we got even more specific, would you really take the 15th best CENTER (who might not even be that good) over Barkley?

Absolutely. Running the ball doesn’t matter in the NFL. It’s all about passing. The only situation running the ball is better is on 3rd and short and salting away the clock in the 4th quarter. Passing is  better everywhere else. Teams should actually pass way more than they already do. Positions are NOT created EQUAL that’s why the pay and drafting position is different.

Youre like 15th years too late. Analytics have debunked all these myths years ago your still in the Stone Age. No wonder you defend gettleman

Archived