7[238] Bears Draft CB Stephen Denmark

WindyCity

1 minute ago, G08 said:

I hope he can be a 3 or 4 phase special teams guy so he can make the roster and develop. Athletic profiles like him I always worry about trying to stash on the PS.

could be in a Coward situation - he's not ready to play and be active on gamedays, but would likely be picked up by somebody at final cuts 

I get the feeling this is gonna end up being that guy that has a bunch of splash plays in training/camp preseason that gets everyone talking, but isn't ready for the active roster just yet.... Like Gentry or Bravermann where in the past few years.

• Like 1

Kam Chancellor type at SS or Richard Sherman at CB?  I like that Pace is talking a shot at guys like this late.  He's a bust risk with huge potential but a very good pick in round 7 as opposed to a QB whose only a camp arm or a P for competition.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

He may have been drafted with the practice squad in mind, similar to Michael Joseph who will probably make the 53 man roster.

Assuming Fuller, Amukamara, Skrine and McManis are locks at corner, you have Joseph ahead of Toliver and/or Shelley at corner too? 

He's a PS developmental prospect with off the charts measurables and athleticism.  One year as a CB at Valdosta St. ain't likely to get you a spot on any 53 man roster with that little experience.  Should be fun to watch in camp and preseason though. 

He's as raw as my.....wait, can't say that aloud.  But trust me it's pretty raw.  ;)

28 minutes ago, soulman said:

He's a PS developmental prospect with off the charts measurables and athleticism.  One year as a CB at Valdosta St. ain't likely to get you a spot on any 53 man roster with that little experience.  Should be fun to watch in camp and preseason though. 

He's as raw as my.....wait, can't say that aloud.  But trust me it's pretty raw.  ;)

I could see him making the team and being a primary ST player... but my money is on them trying to sneak him onto the PS and likely getting him there.

I think this guy is going to my late round/UDFA crush this year. Hall is likely another one because he plays a sexy position and is big and fast, but the camp battle likely gives Denmark of better chance making the team more than Hall, so I'm going to align myself with the guy that might be around longer.

How can you not like a CB in a WR body at 6-2 and 220. If he does stick at CB, he gives a good matchup against some of the bigger receivers in the league. If he moves to a SS/LB role, he should still be big and fast enough to run with bigger TEs, something that Amos was actually pretty decent at (not saying Denmark is likely going to contribute this year, but moreso for the future).

Last, this guy had 55 tackles and 8 TFL last season, his first season on defense. One of the biggest knocks on Greedy Williams (definitely not comparing the two) is that he avoids contact and doesn't tackle well. We aren't going to have that issue with Denmark. Nothing is worse than seeing a RB or WR get into the open field or the 3rd level of the defense and you have to worry about your DBs not being able to bring him down or ways they can do it as easily as possible (looking at you HaHa and EJ39(neither loves contact)) The TFL stat stands out the most. This shows me that the kid can either/both read offenses enough that he can shoot into the backfield and make the play (BC37 was really good at this) or that he can be sent on stunts/blitzes and will be able to bring the QB/ball carrier down behind the line.

Dane Brugler is probably my favorite draft/twitter scout out there. He had Denmark as his 24th best CB prospect (Shelley was 83rd) and had him graded as a 5th-6th round pick. Even if he doesn't contribute this year, I think Denmark makes the team based on his potential alone and the fact that there is a good chance that if he shows enough skill in preseason against better competition he wont clear waivers and make it onto the practice squad. Overall, I think he becomes this year's Coward. Not good enough to be active every week, but good enough that you want that potential on your team for the future and don't want to risk him going somewhere else. 

One thing that encouraged me was his physicality. That's something you typically worry about when converting guys to defense, but this guy seems to enjoy contact.

As more teams use move TEs, there's a growing need for box CBs with the size and skills to cover but enough physicality to play a LB-like role against the run. This guy is perfect for that position.