Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2019 - Cardinals at 1

goldfishwars

Alright Goldie, really good work as always.

Agreed with;

Your top 3. In some kind of order, they're my top 3 too. Had BUF 1

You gave TEN a high rank, as would I

Disagree with;

I think CAR had a decent draft, but if you swapped them at 9 with NE at 16 - it would look more accurate to me. I think Bill nailed this one. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 9:53 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

Feels like we have the same conversation about "blow up" safeties versus coverage guys every year.  I'm just not sure if the highly touted "blow up" guy has ever really hit in recent memory but there's a first time for everything.

I mean, Derwin James and Jamal Adams were both highly touted "blow up" guys. They seem to be doing better than their highly touted "coverage" counterparts, Malik Hooker and Minkah Fitzpatrick. Obviously, it's early, and all four of those guys are quality players. But bruh.

My preference is that any safety who absolutely needs to be paired with a coverage guy is downgraded, since Earl Thomases are much rarer than Kam Chancellors.   People always got much more excite about Kam though, even though the other guy was more important.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You actually make a pretty good point with the Pats having so much draft capital.  I still think they're way better than 16th, but I guess maybe putting them in the top 2 is a bit generous.

Good piece.

I'm probably one of those pessimistic fans that annoy most normal overly-optimistic fans. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 2:45 PM, -Hope- said:

top 5 for tennessee then, wow. i liked our draft and thought we got great value out of our picks, but i don't know if i would've put it this high.

Oh, I totally would. They made the most of what they had. Half the guys they selected, I was hoping the Steelers would pick them a round or two earlier.

As was mentioned, a top 5 talent taken in the back half of the draft. An arguably 1st Rd WR talent taken in the 2nd...David Long was a 4th/ early-5th Rd prospect take. Midway through the 6th...

...and Nate Davis was their worst value pick... because he actually went in the Rd that he was slated...The Titans had a sneaky-fantastic draft... I'd argue a Top-3...but I can understand why they would be downgraded here for only coming away with 5 players for next season, but sure did make the most of it.

On 5/12/2019 at 6:05 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Agreed with;

Disagree with;

I think CAR had a decent draft, but if you swapped them at 9 with NE at 16 - it would look more accurate to me. I think Bill nailed this one. 

Yeah, I'm not so sure. I'm watching Harry and wondering how we use him in a rhythm and timing passing offense and Williams doesn't move well. 

On 5/12/2019 at 6:05 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Agreed with;

Disagree with;

Trying to love that Pats draft, but I'm struggling to picture Harry in a rhythm and timing passing game. Plus, the trade up for Williams put us out of reach of some good tight ends and I can't find much I like about the guy other than he's a big dude and very likeable off the field. But he's raw and does not move well, I appreciate he's a match-up guy - but we are well stocked at corner and I can't think of many circumstances where a lack of length there really hurt us last year. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Trying to love that Pats draft, but I'm struggling to picture Harry in a rhythm and timing passing game. Plus, the trade up for Williams put us out of reach of some good tight ends and I can't find much I like about the guy other than he's a big dude and very likeable off the field. But he's raw and does not move well, I appreciate he's a match-up guy - but we are well stocked at corner and I can't think of many circumstances where a lack of length there really hurt us last year. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

He is more a 2020 contributor to me. But Bill is prepared in case Jason McCourty fall off the cliff.

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

He is more a 2020 contributor to me. But Bill is prepared in case Jason McCourty fall off the cliff.

Agreed, but I don’t think he’s a full-time player long-term. I just don’t see that ceiling with him. I think they coveted his highly unusual size for match-up specific purposes which may well prove to be really smart – we’ll see. 

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I didn't like Williams as much as a prospect as a lot of analysts and teams do.  I think you're spot on about his poor movement skills.  That said, it seemed a lot of teams were very interested in him, including a few teams who do well at finding DB talent, so I was a little shaky on my own analysis.  I am curious to see what teams saw in him that I didn't.

11 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure. I'm watching Harry and wondering how we use him in a rhythm and timing passing offense and Williams doesn't move well. 

I've read a few pieces that say Harry is perfect for NE. He's a YAC monster, and he mostly lines up in slot. We will scheme him to favourable situations (eg across 7-15 yards where he can box out defenders and catch anything near him). Plus he was the best run blocking WR which we seem to value. I think he'll be really productive for us.

52 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I've read a few pieces that say Harry is perfect for NE. He's a YAC monster, and he mostly lines up in slot. We will scheme him to favourable situations (eg across 7-15 yards where he can box out defenders and catch anything near him). Plus he was the best run blocking WR which we seem to value. I think he'll be really productive for us.

Great - so our entire receiver corps are slot receivers now?