Week 1 GDT: Stillers at Da Brahnz

LETSGOBROWNIES

59 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

well your defensive points pretty much sum up my statement about our offense.  My statement about our defense is not about their offense, but literally about our defense.  I like our guys.

That said, Bell could have rust, its not like he has been there working with the team.  Ben could be tired, and a little less motivation.  It is the Browns after all, and he contemplated retirement.

I really like our defense, but we have youth, a completely new system, over 5 new starters (Peppers, Coley, Meder, Schobert, Mccourty, Taylor as a full time boundary corner)...if/when we struggle, all hope is not lost for the season, but we have some growing to do.

Bell could definitely have rust, but I'm not anticipating it due to his uncanny ability and vision.

43 minutes ago, buno67 said:

6 sacks? I dont know about that. I think if it gets to the point that Kizer is getting sacked because he is holding onto the ball too long, Hue would start calling plays that doesnt ask for routes to develop down field too long.

Don't get me wrong...I could definitely see the 6 sacks number being BS; however, rookie QB in his first game against good defensive coordinators is a great recipe for doubt to creep in; self doubt from his time at ND, doubt on what the hell is being thrown at him, doubt in the WRs especially if Britt can't get open or their dropping ish....

I could easily see him holding the ball for fear of making a critical mistake for 3 sacks and shon coleman giving up 2 sacks; the last one could be off an exotic blitz from inside pressure.

I admit I could be wrong on that number, but it certainly could happen..

11 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

If acknowledging the obvuous shortcomings of an undertalanded player is considered hating, consider me guilty as charged. 

Cody Kessler is just not a very good QB. He's the 3rd best QB on the Browns. That fact should be obvious to all who watched this preseason, except those who hold a grudge against the man whose responsibility it is to decide that order. (The same man who made Cody QB1 going in to the offseason, mind you).

First, learn to spell.

Second, never said he was...said he reminded me of Sipe and that I like him.

Grudge? You supplied that.

You usually are a good poster, ditch. Don't degrade yourself with baseless allegations and personal attacks, regardless of how much your sycophants like it.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Don't get me wrong...I could definitely see the 6 sacks number being BS; however, rookie QB in his first game against good defensive coordinators is a great recipe for doubt to creep in; self doubt from his time at ND, doubt on what the hell is being thrown at him, doubt in the WRs especially if Britt can't get open or their dropping ish....

I could easily see him holding the ball for fear of making a critical mistake for 3 sacks and shon coleman giving up 2 sacks; the last one could be off an exotic blitz from inside pressure.

I admit I could be wrong on that number, but it certainly could happen..

To me a lot of his self doubt from his time at ND all stemmed from Brian Kelly. To me I think Hue has handled him extremely well. To me that has to make Kizer fell very comfortable 

52 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Really hoping Kizer plays better tomorrow than JT Barrett is playing tonight. If Urban keeps playing that scrub I'm gonna lose my mind.

All he really has to do to show improvement for the Browns is outperform our last rookie starting-the-season: Weeden the waste!:D

50 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think I have been more pissed at the play calling

I respect your opinion, but I think the play calling becomes limited when your QB can only, and not even consistently, hit targets that have been schemed wide open. You can only scheme guys wide open so many times and in so many ways, especially in one game. At some point the QB has to be able to throw a guy open. Urban's stubbornness on these matters has cost us the last 2-3 years, and you just can't make a living of missing opportunities. Every coach only has so many seasons with championship level teams. It's like every year that LeBron loses in the finals is a huge missed opportunity, because every year time is working against you, and you're getting less of those opportunities. 

46 minutes ago, buno67 said:

To me a lot of his self doubt from his time at ND all stemmed from Brian Kelly. To me I think Hue has handled him extremely well. To me that has to make Kizer fell very comfortable 

I agree...and I feel like it could definitely go that way. There's just a lot of factors related to youth and inexperience that may lead to a millesecond hesitation here or there that makes the difference in the negative direction.

Definitely think that is more likely based on just lack of confidence given the difficulty of QB play in one's first year than him thinking about his time at ND specifically...there will just be a lot swirling through the young man's head tomorrow.

Excited to see how it turns out and am hoping for the best but it's a tall task...

10 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

I respect your opinion, but I think the play calling becomes limited when your QB can only, and not even consistently, hit targets that have been schemed wide open. You can only scheme guys wide open so many times and in so many ways, especially in one game. At some point the QB has to be able to throw a guy open. Urban's stubbornness on these matters has cost us the last 2-3 years, and you just can't make a living of missing opportunities. Every coach only has so many seasons with championship level teams. It's like every year that LeBron loses in the finals is a huge missed opportunity, because every year time is working against you, and you're getting less of those opportunities. 

What does JT's passing limitations have to do with them not running it with JK Dobbins or making unexpected play calls. The OC has put it all on JT in the run game showing the OC has made bad play calling decisions that have nothing to do with JT's ability to pass or not.

The receiver are not getting open and are inexperience.

JT hasn't been perfect and has indeed missed some throws, but the playcalling has been awful in critical moments that have nothing to do with JT and his passing prowess.

Where's the critique of the OL and Isaiah Prince...

what the heck was that 4th down call...had no chance of success and Barrett put it in the only spot to KJ Hill.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I agree...and I feel like it could definitely go that way. There's just a lot of factors related to youth and inexperience that may lead to a millesecond hesitation here or there that makes the difference in the negative direction.

Definitely think that is more likely based on just lack of confidence given the difficulty of QB play in one's first year than him thinking about his time at ND specifically...there will just be a lot swirling through the young man's head tomorrow.

Excited to see how it turns out and am hoping for the best but it's a tall task...

I think a lot will depend on the O game plan.

If we can't run the ball, and even if we can, if we do not "dink-and-dunk" against the PIT D and control the clock, I do not think we have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Come to think of it, I do not think we have that snowball's chance of winning under many sets of facts, so we probably will.

random question. I'm lucky enough (sarcasm) to be in central Ohio, and CBS was dropped by directv. At the same time, the Sunday ticket is free this weekend. My question is, do you think since I don't even get CBS via directv now, that I'll be able to watch the game on the ticket, or am I gonna get screwed because of local broadcast/blackout crap?

16 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I think a lot will depend on the O game plan.

If we can't run the ball, and even if we can, if we do not "dink-and-dunk" against the PIT D and control the clock, I do not think we have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Come to think of it, I do not think we have that snowball's chance of winning under many sets of facts, so we probably will.

All good points...

I've been thinking that if we win or have a chance to win late in the game it will be b/c Deshone is playing like a young Andrew Luck; that is not to say that he is playing great or amazing as everyone seems to forget Luck's early year's in the league, but I say that to mean that he will be taking a lot of chances down the field and stressing the defense.

Just like young Luck that will result in turnovers but if you don't play that way there really is no chance.

I hope he pushes the ball down the field like against Tampa Bay b/c the real value of that is that it can open the run game and underneath routes and ultimately lead to more favorable down and distance on 3rd down.

29 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

What does JT's passing limitations have to do with them not running it with JK Dobbins or making unexpected play calls. The OC has put it all on JT in the run game showing the OC has made bad play calling decisions that have nothing to do with JT's ability to pass or not.

The receiver are not getting open and are inexperience.

JT hasn't been perfect and has indeed missed some throws, but the playcalling has been awful in critical moments that have nothing to do with JT and his passing prowess.

Where's the critique of the OL and Isaiah Prince...

what the heck was that 4th down call...had no chance of success and Barrett put it in the only spot to KJ Hill.

Kevin Wilson, one of the best to ever do it, didn't just become a terrible playcaller. There are other issues on this team, I'll be the first to agree with you on that. But JT's lack of ability hamstrings any offense. To sum it up, if Kevin Wilson can't make you look good, there's something terribly wrong with you.

Archived