Garnett - Possible Season Ending IR

StevenK

Sucks. Truthfully, if that's what happens, he'll be entering bust / time to look elsewhere territory for me. We weren't just counting on him to play this year - we were counting on him to make a big jump in his on the field play, because quite frankly, he sucked last year. He needed this season to continue to progress if he was going to be something. Now you're delaying this for another year, which means by next year he'll basically be in the same spot he would have been this year, but not having played football for a year....it's just not a great way to develop into a solid player when you come into the league and play poorly as he did. Baalke's drafts...the gifts that keep on giving.

In only his 2nd year, you're willing to through out the 'bust' label?! That's a little quick in my opinion. But you might have been one who hated the selection from the beginning and therefore pre-disposed toward getting him out? I didn't mind because it finally meant someone recognized that OL talent was a need.

Much too quick, IMO. To each their own.

Yea, I'm not sure he's close to that bust label yet for me. He's a pretty solid run blocker at this point in his career, which heading into the draft was clearly his strength. I believe most understood he was going to need some work in pass pro and after one year of playing that's still apparent. If he indeed is done for the year then I'll give him atleast till the end of his third year before I throw in the towel on him. Gives him this season to get healthy, an offseason as well as another season to put it all together.

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

In only his 2nd year, you're willing to through out the 'bust' label?! That's a little quick in my opinion. But you might have been one who hated the selection from the beginning and therefore pre-disposed toward getting him out? I didn't mind because it finally meant someone recognized that OL talent was a need.

Much too quick, IMO. To each their own.

I hated the trade up, not the selection. I don't remember many people questioning the pick - the biggest debate I remember from his selection was the fact that we traded up to get him.  There's a difference. And I'm basing this on the fact that he was really bad last year, now you're talking about him not playing again until his third year, where the only thing we know about him is that he's been a very bad offensive lineman at the NFL level.  The reps this year were vitally important.  Teams do it all the time. The Browns just traded Cam Erving, a former first round pick, and Detroit traded Tomlinson, also a first round pick, for pennies. The Broncos just traded Sambrailo (2nd round pick in 2015) as well.  Because they were bad.  All  were taken a year before Garnett (the same place where Garnett will be entering next year) in the first round (and second in Sambrailo's case). A season ending injury kills any chance at progression. Now he'll be out of football shape, not progressing, going into his third season where all we have seen from him is that he's one of the worst starting guards in the NFL. How many players go from really, really bad, season ending injury, and then come back and become truly good? It's not many. If he had flashed some good play his first year, it would have been different. He didn't. So I'm not putting a whole lot of faith that a year off with an injury is somehow going to make him better. 

38 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Yea, I'm not sure he's close to that bust label yet for me. He's a pretty solid run blocker at this point in his career, which heading into the draft was clearly his strength. I believe most understood he was going to need some work in pass pro and after one year of playing that's still apparent. If he indeed is done for the year then I'll give him atleast till the end of his third year before I throw in the towel on him. Gives him this season to get healthy, an offseason as well as another season to put it all together.

I don't mind giving him a shot during his third year. I'm not saying we dump him right this second or anything,  but I think competition would be a must for him, and quite frankly, personally I wouldn't expect him to be very good.  I wouldn't hate the team for giving him every opportunity to prove his worth though, I myself am just going to stop expecting that he'll be any good. He hasn't shown me anything that makes me think he'll be very good, and now we are adding an injury where he doesn't play for an entire season. I just will have no expectations of him moving forward. He'll always have a place somewhere as a run blocking guard, but I see minimal difference between he and Tomlinson, whom the lions just gave up on after two seasons.

I get ya @Forge. Even before this injury being possibly season ending I wanted the Niners to address both OT and OG regardless of play from anyone we currently have. When I think of our successful years in the Harbaugh era we had two very good components to our team, our OL and defense. Our defense looks headed in the right direction while our OL has remained for the most part stagnant. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

So what exactly is his injury?  Originally I heard maybe back for game 1.  Then later I heard might miss a few weeks.  Now, maybe the whole season?  What gives?  Don't they have any idea what is really wrong?

Honestly, I haven't heard what the exact injury is. I know that's its in his knee, but that's about it. 

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

So what exactly is his injury?  Originally I heard maybe back for game 1.  Then later I heard might miss a few weeks.  Now, maybe the whole season?  What gives?  Don't they have any idea what is really wrong?

Originally, weren't they just cleaning stuff up in his knee? Like the remnant of an old injury? I don't know how it might have come to season-ending. Maybe they found something else while they were in there. Maybe they're just being super extra cautious. Maybe they just didn't plan on playing him, and now they don't have to justify benching him. They can then try to trade him or cut him next year, pretexting that Tomlinson has replaced him and there's no room for him on the roster.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I hated the trade up, not the selection. 

To say I hated the trade up would be putting it mildly. I favored both Whitehair and Martin overt Garnett, but honestly was not unhappy with the selection itself. My whole argument and reason for hating the trade up was that I thought the difference between those three guys was too close to call and we should simply have waited till our turn.  If one was gone, then so what?  The other two had just as good of a chance as the guy someone else took.  In fact I said at the time that if all three were still there when our turn rolled around I thought it would have been better to trade down a few spot if possible, still with the notion that if someone took one or even two of them we still had as good of a chance with the one that was left.

FWIW Whitehair is looking like a pro bowler, and Martin has won the starting C job for the Texans.

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

Originally, weren't they just cleaning stuff up in his knee? Like the remnant of an old injury? I don't know how it might have come to season-ending. Maybe they found something else while they were in there. Maybe they're just being super extra cautious. Maybe they just didn't plan on playing him, and now they don't have to justify benching him. They can then try to trade him or cut him next year, pretexting that Tomlinson has replaced him and there's no room for him on the roster.

I thought I remember him definitely injuring himself in a practice, and then something about cleaning up the knee afterward. But there has been a notable lack of disclosure regarding his specific injury. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

To say I hated the trade up would be putting it mildly. I favvored both Whitehair and Martin overt Garnett, but honestly was not unhappy with the selection itself. My whole argument and reason for hating the pick was that I thought the difference between those three guys was too close to call and we should simply waited till our turn.  If one was gone, then so what?  The other two had just as good of a chance as the guy someone else took.  In fact I said at the time that if all three were still there when our turn rolled around I thought it would have been better to trade down a few spot if possible, still with the notion that if someone took one or even two of them we still had as good of a chance with the one that was left.

FWIW Whitehair is looking like a pro bowler, and Martin has won the starting C job for the Texans.

Was pretty much my feeling as well. If we had waited, and still picked Garnett over those guys, that would have been fine. I really didn't have a problem with that. I really liked Whitehair too and thought he was plug and play, so I would have been super happy with him as a "consolation prize". There just wasn't much separating those guys, and I wouldn't have given up assets to land one of them (even with the fifth year option on the table). 

Archived