Biggest head scratching picks

lark25

Not that "people quote scouting reports of Jones at each other" isn't scintillating discussion, I want to point out another low key head scratcher- Andy Isabella went 2 picks before DK Metcalf. 

I mean, obviously the frame is extremely different but both are examples of "the idea of the player is much better than the actual player, who isn't bad per se."  Both the actuality and the idea of DK Metcalf are better than that of Isabella.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

21 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Not that "people quote scouting reports of Jones at each other" isn't scintillating discussion, I want to point out another low key head scratcher- Andy Isabella went 2 picks before DK Metcalf. 

I mean, obviously the frame is extremely different but both are examples of "the idea of the player is much better than the actual player, who isn't bad per se."  Both the actuality and the idea of DK Metcalf are better than that of Isabella.

I think Isabella could be better than Metcalf, in his overall career. You have to be more than just physical gifts....

But, I mean Isabella wasn't really good at much at UMass besides "being faster than everyone else on the field" a fact that wasn't true as soon as the senior bowl.   Sure, he can in theory learn how to catch, how to run routes, etc. but it's pure projection with him.

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

But, I mean Isabella wasn't really good at much at UMass besides "being faster than everyone else on the field" a fact that wasn't true as soon as the senior bowl.   Sure, he can in theory learn how to catch, how to run routes, etc. but it's pure projection with him.

u put him with the right coach and scheme and he will do gods work :)

also with the telvin smith news i guess the Quincy williams pick isnt as bad as it was but it seems to me like the right position but probably wrong player.  probably could have used a guy who could start day 1 vs a guy who will need a year most likely to be ready. 

On 5/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, Gmen said:

The Raiders reached just as much in the first round. 

They didn't reach that much, at all. Ferrell is a solid 4-3 DE who could really develop into something, and there's no added drama there at converting a guy who's primarily a 3-4 OLB. So he went a handful of slots higher than a lot of folks had him going. Not a big deal. Jacobs was often thought to be taken higher than he was, too.

On 5/6/2019 at 11:58 PM, Counselor said:

Man you will find any possible way to make the Jones pick look better than it is. When will it stop?

Jones was sort of divisive among the evaluators from what I saw, but hardly anyone dismissed him as a talent. Denver probably would have taken him at 10 if the Giants skipped him at 6. A lot of folks think that's why Elway traded down. And remember, there were others murmuring about Haskins' character and attitude--it wasn't just the Giants. I can't guarantee Jones is going to work out, but if you have a feeling he could be a franchise guy, there's really no crime in drafting a mid-first QB talent at 6. 

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

That Tavai pick

That was really weird. I had to stop and figure out if I knew who that guy even was...

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Jones was sort of divisive among the evaluators from what I saw, but hardly anyone dismissed him as a talent. Denver probably would have taken him at 10 if the Giants skipped him at 6. A lot of folks think that's why Elway traded down. And remember, there were others murmuring about Haskins' character and attitude--it wasn't just the Giants. I can't guarantee Jones is going to work out, but if you have a feeling he could be a franchise guy, there's really no crime in drafting a mid-first QB talent at 6. 

Elway wasn’t taking Jones. They preached they wanted arm strength and they went out and drafted the strongest arm in the draft. They moved down cus Hockenson was gone at 8.

Jones would not have went to Denver at 10.... Elway loves strong armed QBs and it was well known Lock was always #1 on Elways board. Miami was always going trenches. Washington was always going Haskins. I had Jones going in the Late 2nd to the Chargers/Pats in most mocks but he’s a 3rd Round Talent. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Jones would not have went to Denver at 10.... Elway loves strong armed QBs and it was well known Lock was always #1 on Elways board. Miami was always going trenches. Washington was always going Haskins. I had Jones going in the Late 2nd to the Chargers/Pats in most mocks but he’s a 3rd Round Talent. It is what it is. 

Thank you. But Giants fans want to sell it so it gives Gettleman a reason to take him at 6. 

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Thank you. But Giants fans want to sell it so it gives Gettleman a reason to take him at 6. 

Yeah it has become “cool” to defend it cause people feel bad for Jones and Giants fans. 

Let this sink in for a bit, Gettlemen said he had Jones at 1a and Lock at 1b. Those were there top two QBs in the whole draft. Lock went 42....

Daniel Jones would not have been picked in the 1st Round. I honestly think he’d be there at 37. And he 99% likely would be there at 17. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

If I read accounts describing Elway had interest in Jones--which I did--then that, by definition, means that Lock wasn't always #1 on Elway's board. You may be right, but we'll never know...unless there is some unprecedented draftthink dishing. And..."it is what it is" doesn't mean where you pretend most mocks had him going means anything at all. 

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

If I read accounts describing Elway had interest in Jones--which I did--then that, by definition, means that Lock wasn't always #1 on Elway's board. You may be right, but we'll never know...unless there is some unprecedented draftthink dishing. And..."it is what it is" doesn't mean where you pretend most mocks had him going means anything at all. 

Where did you read Denver possibly had interest in Jones? And even if they did, more like pick 42.

I never read a single thing about Jones and Denver. Plus Lock is an Elway QB to a T and Elway was basically stalking him all off season. 

• Like 2