Biggest head scratching picks

lark25

For the Packers, I thought Rashan Gary was an odd pick, as Christian Wilkins and Brian Burns were still available and had better tape. He has all the physical traits you want, an abundance of them, but at #12 you normally want more production than Gary showed.

The one positive I got out of that pick is that the Packers were locked onto him for months. They had all the time in the world to check him out, speak to everyone around him, grind and re-evaluate his tape. They would have known all about his dodgy shoulder, his dyslexia, his average production, and they took him anyway, so they must have really liked what they saw. All I can do is trust that the Packers GM and scouts got it right.  I guess guys with his physical traits don't come around often, and when they do they go very early.

This is very much a fingers crossed pick, as there have been many guys who haven't dominated in college despite elite tools, that are taken high, and don't pan out in the NFL...............I think I better cross my toes as well.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 7:47 AM, Gmen said:

It is much better than it looks. So as long as people continue with this 3rd round to 5th round prospect nonsense, I’ll defend the pick. Until I get bored. 

As you should. Dude was a first round prospect. Maybe I wouldn't of taken him at 6, but luckily I didn't have to make that decision. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, -Hope- said:
23 hours ago, Gmen said:

Intelligence does apply. He was recruited by Harvard, Yale and Princeton. He has the ability to win the chess match at the line of scrimmage.

lmfao

This is the bargaining stage of grief.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Gmen said:

Well that’s the thing, I don’t really care about Danger’s opinion. He’s not a scout and as far as I know he has no experience in this area. But if he could provide a source to back up his claims, I’d take them more seriously. Notice I’m not refuting his statements with my own opinions, I provided sources. 

Bottom line - Danger is an Eagles fan trying to wish his perception of Jones into reality.  The year I see Eagles fans on this forum not criticize a Giants draft pick, will be my first. 

Dude you're literally sitting there with your head in the sand. You're in the denial stage of grief, it's okay, we get it.

• Like 1

Arm Accuracy –Throws some nice lasers in the shallow areas of the field, timing is pretty solid to hit guys in stride in the 3-step game. Lots of wild passes down the field, struggles to throw into the bucket. His general accuracy to the sidelines won't inspire on back shoulders.

Decision Making –He's a pretty wild ride when you ask him to hold the ball in the pocket. Really like his skills to dissect zones and soft coverage inside of 10 yards. Misreads deep safeties and doesn't show a lot of anticipation of a defender who can sink or won't be held to zone.

Progressions –Surprising lack of willingness to work through the full field. Typically sits on his primary read and will work to check downs from there. Slow to work eyes out of his preferred target and will too often guide defenders into the throw.

Anticipation –Keep him inside of 15 yards and he'll be just fine. Knows how to find soft spots in coverage and throw into them in rhythm. But asking him to take seven step drops and dissect vertical coverage is a losing proposition as things stand now.

He's good at short dumpoffs, but down field and to the sidelines, he's relatively unwilling to make those throws, when he does it isn't good relatively speaking.

43 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

This is the bargaining stage of grief.

30 minutes ago, Danger said:

You're in the denial stage of grief, it's okay, we get it.

So, which is it?

Just now, ET80 said:

So, which is it?

Well denial and anger happened on draft night and the following few nights. Now they have shifted to defending the pick, which is why I went with bargaining. Soon there will be depression, and eventually acceptance.

On 07/05/2019 at 3:57 AM, Jlash said:

I worked with a Browns fan who was FURIOUS about Mayfield and Ward picks. He was so adamant that they need Barkley at 1 and whatever the next best QB was at 5.

and how's your ex-collegue doing now? Loving it, no doubt.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 7:47 AM, Gmen said:

It is much better than it looks. So as long as people continue with this 3rd round to 5th round prospect nonsense, I’ll defend the pick. Until I get bored. 

I would have said 5th round is too high. This is the most baffling high first round pick I have ever seen. As a Canes season ticket holder I have seen Jones in person 3 times. I never thought he looked like an NFL draft pick period.

He was miserable in that Friday night home game in 2017. Duke was undefeated and the fanbase was convinced they were legit. I walked around the Duke campus all day in Canes gear, with fans coming up to me saying they smelled upset and wait until I see their quarterback. Jones did nothing. Actually it was 4 yards per attempt, which is the equivalent of nothing. He had tunnel vision all night and missed numerous opportunities. After the first quarter I stopped caring about him, or the Duke offense in general.

Last season the game was played in the rain. Jones benefitted from a nice long touchdown run on the first series. Then there were 3 or 4 possessions in the remainder of that quarter with Duke controlling the game and the ability to put the game away. I think they had the ball in Miami territory every time. Every time Jones flopped. He had no vision or ability to adjust whatsoever. Duke ended up winning the game due to N'Kosi Perry ineptitude but Jones had the same type of performance as a year earlier...3.7 yards per attempt.

Once his name surfaced late season as a touted NFL prospect I seriously thought it was a joke. I looked up his stats, remembering what he did against the Canes both times. Those were hardly isolated failures. He's had 6 games the past two seasons with 4 YPA or lower. That shouldn't be possible. I think it is 16 of 36 career games at 6.0 YPA or lower. Again, that shouldn't be possible, not for someone drafted into the NFL. 

Maybe it will work but it is the greatest projection and leap of faith I can remember at that position. It would be one thing if Jones had been a premier high school recruit who always stood out among his peers. Not close. He was a nothing recruit.

Go to YouTube and watch the CommonManFootball video, the one he did live during the first round of the draft. His reaction to the Jones pick is priceless. He is an analytics guy. Daniel Jones is cherished by traditional scouting types because he looks the part. That's why guys like Gettleman and Charlie Casserly and Bucky Brooks love him, while analytics types want no part of him. As that CommonManFootball guy emphasizes, there is no record of a player with Jones' college/high school resume hitting it big in the NFL. Not based on the market share, etc. numbers he has evaluated, and he's gone back more than 40 years.

I will say one thing in Jones' defense: His bowl game effort was the best I have ever seen from him. I have no idea why Gettleman didn't spotlight that game instead of the Senior Bowl. Jones looked excellent versus Temple other than a couple of forced interceptions.

However, Temple was being coached by an interim coach who has been completely outmatched the two times he took over in bowl games. The 2016 Temple upset defeat to Wake Forest as double digit favorite was perhaps the worst bowl effort of the entire 2016 season, and likewise Temple's drubbing against Duke in 2018. The same interim coach was at the controls for both. I had a very sharp Las Vegas friend who warned me about that prior to the game against Duke. He cashed big. I'm not sure I put full stock in how Jones looked in that game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

Once his name surfaced late season as a touted NFL prospect I seriously thought it was a joke. I looked up his stats, remembering what he did against the Canes both times. Those were hardly isolated failures. He's had 6 games the past two seasons with 4 YPA or lower. That shouldn't be possible. I think it is 16 of 36 career games at 6.0 YPA or lower. Again, that shouldn't be possible, not for someone drafted into the NFL. 

Maybe it will work but it is the greatest projection and leap of faith I can remember at that position. It would be one thing if Jones had been a premier high school recruit who always stood out among his peers. Not close. He was a nothing recruit.

Go to YouTube and watch the CommonManFootball video, the one he did live during the first round of the draft. His reaction to the Jones pick is priceless. He is an analytics guy. Daniel Jones is cherished by traditional scouting types because he looks the part. That's why guys like Gettleman and Charlie Casserly and Bucky Brooks love him, while analytics types want no part of him. As that CommonManFootball guy emphasizes, there is no record of a player with Jones' college/high school resume hitting it big in the NFL. Not based on the market share, etc. numbers he has evaluated, and he's gone back more than 40 years

Of course analytics guys won’t like Jones. His numbers weren’t good at Duke. But Duke hasn’t had a single player drafted since 2015. They couldn’t pass block, and the receivers had stone mitts. Jones led terrible teams against perennial football powerhouses like Clemson, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Florida State, and even Miami still manages to get recruits. Brian Baldinger said it best - Jones played with the bad news bears at Duke. Throw out the analytics. 

Matt Ryan was in a similar situation at Boston College on teams that were over matched in the ACC. He had worse passing numbers than Jones, was nowhere near the athlete, and still went first overall. I’d say that worked out pretty well for the Falcons. MVP award, 8 straight seasons of 65% completions and 4000 yards. Where are your analytics Gods now?