49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

Williams over Hightower should have been a no-brainer regardless of the fumble issues. Williams is such a natural runner. 

Glad Barnes is gone, wonder if Beadles is safe now that Garnett may miss most if not the entire season? 

I'm hoping some how we keep Williams over Gillam. I paid close attention to Williams and he was great both in pass protection and run blocking. 

Definitely sucks to see Redmond being cut after being drafted last season. Never quite looked like he recovered from his ACL injury. 

71 left on the roster - 18 more cuts to come. Big decisions on Garnett, Burbridge, among them.

Of the 18, Darrell Williams, Cole Hikutini, Nick Mullens, DeAndre Carter, and Noble Nwachukwu seem plenty obvious as practice squad guys who will not make the team. Especially since there's that rumor that our practice squad players won't be released until tomorrow. That leaves 13 guys. 

There is likely room for two of Smelter, Burbridge, Bourne, Bolden, Kerley. Three will be cut. Smelter, Bourne, Bolden, and Burbridge all have PS value. So that leaves 10.

JP Flynn or Eric Magnuson is in line for the other PS spot. If the practice squad releases will be tomorrow like the rumor says, this is excellent news for both, as it likely means Magnuson made the squad and Flynn is on the PS. In any case, that leaves us with at least 9 more moves to make. 

At most - two of Celek, Paulsen, Bell make the team. The other is gone, and possibly two are gone. For now, we'll say 8 more moves to make. 

I think only one of Gilliam/Theus makes it. No need for both. So 7 moves after that. 

Colbert, Marks, Calitro, Blair, Dial, Don Jones, Reaser, Pita, Mostert, Jackson, Chris Jones, D. J. Jones, and Mostert are remaining on the roster bubble (as I see it). Add in the previous battles of Smelter, Burbridge, Bourne, Bolden, and Kerley + Celek, Paulsen and Bell, and Magnuson potentially making the roster. And these are the main battles left. 

I didn't know this but apparently Redmond had only 7 games logged in college, which added on to his torn ACL coming into the draft is pretty crazy that Baalke used the 68th overall pick on him. If we somehow are far worse than last year, the fact that Baalke is no longer calling the shots is relief enough for me.

Guessing team might still be looking to trade Smelter and Dial, and possibly Gilliam and Lynch. Otherwise, I can't think of anyone that would fit the veteran looking to be traded. Alternatively, since Smelter took Burbridge's spot on Special Teams, a possibility might be Burbridge on IR, Smelter a surprise addition to the roster. 

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Guessing team might still be looking to trade Smelter and Dial, and possibly Gilliam and Lynch. Otherwise, I can't think of anyone that would fit the veteran looking to be traded. Alternatively, since Smelter took Burbridge's spot on Special Teams, a possibility might be Burbridge on IR, Smelter a surprise addition to the roster. 

Lynch was the first person I thought of. Denver is supposedly seeking some OLB / Pass rusher depth, and we know the connections we have with them. That could be a deal that works itself out very quickly if we are so inclined. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Greco would be a very solid signing. He was there during Shanahan's stint and would instantly becomes the best interior OL on the team. But he may be looking to go to a contender? Possibly Seattle?

That would make more sense, but I'm going to live safely in my bubble and act like we have a shot at signing him and improving our line. 

Archived