49ers Cut thread, scrap signings, final 53 discussion

Forge

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Chris Jones also released. Does that mean Marks will make the team or we are getting another DL from another team? 

Might mean both. Marks would make the most sense. D.J. Jones has all but officially made the team now, however. So that's a major plus. No big loss in Chris Jones. As @John232 noted, sad to see Dial go, but he didn't fit the scheme. 

18 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

71 left on the roster - 18 more cuts to come. Big decisions on Garnett, Burbridge, among them.

Of the 18, Darrell Williams, Cole Hikutini, Nick Mullens, DeAndre Carter, and Noble Nwachukwu seem plenty obvious as practice squad guys who will not make the team. Especially since there's that rumor that our practice squad players won't be released until tomorrow. That leaves 13 guys. 

There is likely room for two of Smelter, Burbridge, Bourne, Bolden, Kerley. Three will be cut. Smelter, Bourne, Bolden, and Burbridge all have PS value. So that leaves 10.

JP Flynn or Eric Magnuson is in line for the other PS spot. If the practice squad releases will be tomorrow like the rumor says, this is excellent news for both, as it likely means Magnuson made the squad and Flynn is on the PS. In any case, that leaves us with at least 9 more moves to make. 

At most - two of Celek, Paulsen, Bell make the team. The other is gone, and possibly two are gone. For now, we'll say 8 more moves to make. 

I think only one of Gilliam/Theus makes it. No need for both. So 7 moves after that. 

Colbert, Marks, Calitro, Blair, Dial, Don Jones, Reaser, Pita, Mostert, Jackson, Chris Jones, D. J. Jones, and Mostert are remaining on the roster bubble (as I see it). Add in the previous battles of Smelter, Burbridge, Bourne, Bolden, and Kerley + Celek, Paulsen and Bell, and Magnuson potentially making the roster. And these are the main battles left. 

Following this logic, with the release of C. Jones and Dial,  and with Don Jones headed to IR, there need to be 4 cuts from Colbert, Marks, Calitro Blair, Reaser Pita, Mostert, Jackson, and DJ Jones. My guess would be Marks and DJ Jones are safe. Calitro is probably one unless Coyle is a surprise cut (surprise on the staff end - they seem to love him). Blair/Colbert stand out as the next two most likely. One of Jackson/Reaser could be it, too.

Alternatively, only one of Smelter, Burbridge, Bourne, Bolden, and Kerley might be kept, and then Colbert might make the squad based on that cut.

I'm guessing the remaining 15 cuts are: D. Williams, Hikutini, Mullens, Carter, Nwachukwu, Calitro, Bourne, Flynn (all PS guys - two more picked up from cuts around the NFL), Kerley, Smelter, Bell, Gilliam, Blair, Reaser, and Burbridge is waived/injured and reverts to the roster on IR.

This would mean Celek, Bolden, Magnuson, Paulsen, Theus, Colbert, Marks, Pita, Mostert, Jackson, Garnett, and D.J. Jones make the roster. Garnett is immediately placed on IR, making him eligible to return after 6 weeks and clearing up a roster spot to pick someone up off of waivers. 

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/cut-down-day-tracker-follow-49ers-get-roster-53-players

Apparently we're looking to add another DL. Marks still may not be safe, same with Lynch and possibly Mitchell. 

Mitchell is a 100000000000000% safe. Mitchell and Jones will be our two NTs. 

Lynch definitely isn't safe yet. Could it potentially be between him and Pita with Watson looking more and more like a lock?

There shouldn't be any debate on if Magnuson should make the team. Flynn? I'd think he we would waive him. Williams is the WC here. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Flynn? I'd think he we would waive him. Williams is the WC here. 

I really disagree here. Williams might have more potential, but the 49ers did not give him enough snaps for others around the league to really catch on. He wasn't a priority UDFA, either, so don't think he's in any danger of getting scooped up onto a 53-man roster. Flynn, on the other hand, was among the most active for snaps on our roster in all four of the preseason games. He has a much great chance of getting claimed. 

In the end, both will be waived, and I think both will likely make it through to the PS. 

Did you see any real potential in Flynn though? It may be a moot point as you said, but Williams clearly had better showings. He didn't play as much and that part is true, but his play was clearly superior. I didn't even think Flynn had a legit shot at making the roster until Maiocco tweeted it out tbh. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did you see any real potential in Flynn though? It may be a moot point as you said, but Williams clearly had better showings. He didn't play as much and that part is true, but his play was clearly superior. I didn't even think Flynn had a legit shot at making the roster until Maiocco tweeted it out tbh. 

I agree - and I still don't think he has a legit shot (more just an anecdote than anything), but at the same time, Williams only ever played against the 3s and 4s of teams. Flynn was in against the 2s. So there's a sizable difference there in terms of play and how he was able to handle it. Only because of that would I give Flynn more of a shot at getting claimed. I just can't see Williams being an issue. 

I think it would make more sense to keep Blair around than Marks personally. I know people are generally down on Blair for some reason, but he flashed last year and I think would be the perfect backup for DeFo. Marks seems like a better fit for the NT position to me, which just creates a logjam there and potentially takes snaps away from D.J. Jones, who has flashed himself in his brief stint here. I think we have already shown we are willing to go young, which I think is the right move. Blair > Marks for me. 

1 minute ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think it would make more sense to keep Blair around than Marks personally. I know people are generally down on Blair for some reason, but he flashed last year and I think would be the perfect backup for DeFo. Marks seems like a better fit for the NT position to me, which just creates a logjam there and potentially takes snaps away from D.J. Jones, who has flashed himself in his brief stint here. I think we have already shown we are willing to go young, which I think is the right move. Blair > Marks for me. 

Blair and Marks aren't playing the same spot, though. Solomon Thomas and Tank Carradine >>>> Blair. 

Archived