What is your opinion on Lamar Jackson and the Ravens offense?

Kiwibrown

12 hours ago, N4L said:

The formula for the chargers was playing the run with DBs who have sideline to sideline speed. It was having 10 guys within 7 or 8 yards of the LOS. They had 6 or 7 DBs in the game when the ravens only had one or two WRs on the field. Normally teams would stay in their base defense against 21 personnel.

I think the bolded is what everyone keeps saying... Jackson's limitations as a passer make it easier to key on the run game. Most other QBs would 'throw teams out' of having so many guys in the box and would make it a lot easier to run after that. 

I even said that he needs to throw deep a lot early in games to keep defenses honest. He needs to make passing the ball his priority in the offseason, because he has a long way to go. 

Its cliché but its a 'what have you done for me lately' kind of league. You are only as good as the last thing you put on film. 

I am not saying that Jackson sucks, just like I don't think Jared Goff sucks because he had a bad game in the superbowl, but poor performances in the moments that matter most CAN define the player that everyone perceives you to be. 

If you don't understand what I mean, or it doesn't make any sense, then just move past it and look at the other parts of my posts. I think I am giving Jackson an unbias, objective opinion. I am not writing him off, just saying that he has issues and that it may be harder on him in year 2 than it was in year 1. 

I complete agree that you provided an unbiased opinion on what Lamar can do and did well, and what he struggled with and have to improve. I think this should be clear to anyone who watched his games last year. That is also why it baffles me, that many are so convinced that Lamar will never be able to improve his game, and that "he and the offense" is figured out.

When you bold out 1 part of my post about the Chargers game, and then don't take into account that Lamar didn't have a fair chance to pass either, as the Ravens offensive line was dominated in that aspect as well, it doesn't make much sense to put that much emphasis on his performance in that game and believe that will be a signature game from him moving forward. In the end, Lamar almost orchestrated a comeback instead of falling completely apart. That still says something.

Now, I think EVERY level headed Ravens fan know, that what we saw last year isn't a sustainable offense, and that both Lamar and Roman have to be able to transcend into a more NFL-like scheme. An approach similar to the 2018 Seahawks offense could be an option, and while it was ridiculed, it still was enough to get them to the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Depends on how LJ refines his passing game...if he even can.  I think he is a severely limited player at this point, and the more he plays, the more teams are going to adapt to stop what he does well.   The question is, can he improve his passing game enough to overcome it.

Not sustainable for any amount of legitimate success (ie: playoff victories). I see them as an 8-8 team, and I also think that they should fold up the Lamar Jackson project as quickly as possible. I compare them similarly to the Chicago Bears in the sense that they can both win a solid amount of regular season games, but I have no faith that either team can come close to winning a super bowl under the current quarterbacks. A single playoff victory is Chicago's ceiling, making the playoffs is Baltimore's ceiling.

8 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Not sustainable for any amount of legitimate success (ie: playoff victories). I see them as an 8-8 team, and I also think that they should fold up the Lamar Jackson project as quickly as possible. I compare them similarly to the Chicago Bears in the sense that they can both win a solid amount of regular season games, but I have no faith that either team can come close to winning a super bowl under the current quarterbacks. A single playoff victory is Chicago's ceiling, making the playoffs is Baltimore's ceiling.

If i had a nickel for every time someone on this forum said the Ravens would never win a super bowl with Joe Flacco...

Then he did 

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

If i had a nickel for every time someone on this forum said the Ravens would never win a super bowl with Joe Flacco...

Then he did 

I never thought Joe couldn't win one. Joe was a legitimate starting QB. Lamar, however, I just can't ever see him getting the best of the AFC's elite. I think he's largely figured out.

5 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Then he did 

Well his regular season record prior to his SB win was 54-26. Maybe people shouldn't have doubted him.

Since then he is 42-41 so it certainly looks like a fluke now. Whatever, Flacco took home $30 million in 2013 and went 8-8 and then took home $44 million in 2016 and went 8-8. He is only costing them $16 million against the cap this year which makes him the biggest cap hit on the team.

Moral of the story, people make mistakes.

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well his regular season record prior to his SB win was 54-26. Maybe people shouldn't have doubted him.

Since then he is 42-41 so it certainly looks like a fluke now. Whatever, Flacco took home $30 million in 2013 and went 8-8 and then took home $44 million in 2016 and went 8-8. He is only costing them $16 million against the cap this year which makes him the biggest cap hit on the team.

Moral of the story, people make mistakes.

ok lol?

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

imagine having worse accuracy numbers than the worst thrower of all time. 

that'd be EMBARRASSING.

Seems like there was a high profile rookie QB that isn't on that list. His name escapes me at the moment.

No one said he was the worst thrower of all time so stop with the pity party.

Tebow was worse.

If you don't hear people questioning Allen then you aren't paying attention. If you don't hear about people questioning Rosen then you aren't paying attention. Darnold was universally loved prior to being drafted so he has more believers than the other three. All of their careers are new and their story hasn't been written so right now they are guesses more than anything. That said, we have the right to make our guesses.

No one expects Jackson to be as accurate as Darnold or Rosen. Jackson and Allen both have to work on their consistency in that area. Doesn't really matter what the numbers show at this point we have a really good idea who has the biggest issues with accuracy.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Seems like there was a high profile rookie QB that isn't on that list. His name escapes me at the moment.

No one said he was the worst thrower of all time so stop with the pity party.

Tebow was worse.

If you don't hear people questioning Allen then you aren't paying attention. If you don't hear about people questioning Rosen then you aren't paying attention. Darnold was universally loved prior to being drafted so he has more believers than the other three. All of their careers are new and their story hasn't been written so right now they are guesses more than anything. That said, we have the right to make our guesses.

No one expects Jackson to be as accurate as Darnold or Rosen. Jackson and Allen both have to work on their consistency in that area. Doesn't really matter what the numbers show at this point we have a really good idea who has the biggest issues with accuracy.

All 5 first round rookie QBs were on that list...what are you talking about?

And yup. Doesn't matter what the accuracy numbers say when it comes to accuracy. Let's go off of our preconceived notions of them as prospects.

lol what

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

All 5 first round rookie QBs were on that list...what are you talking about?

And yup. Doesn't matter what the accuracy numbers say when it comes to accuracy. Let's go off of our preconceived notions of them as prospects.

lol what

Hmm well I'll either blamer my eyesight or the fact I saw Jackson was #1 so there was no way Mayfield was on the list. Mayfield was rated as the #2 deep passer in all of the NFL so there is now way these numbers are close to accurate. I'm guessing someone was drunk when they made that garbage up. No intelligent fan in the world would comprise or believe a chart that shows Jackson as more accurate than Mayfield.