Hometown Discounts

LETSGOBROWNIES

Vote ya schmucks  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a less than market value contract to have a better chance at a ring/multiple rings?

• I’m not taking a penny less
    • Maybe a bit, but not much.
    • I’d take substantially less to stay in a good situation.
  2. 2. Would you expect teammates to do the same? (Provided they were also elite players who will be earning and have earned substantial money already. For example, guys like Garrett, Ward, OBJ)

• Nope, that’s their choice.
    • Yep, everyone should sacrifice a bit for the betterment of the group.

11 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Discounts happen a lot. 

Duke may have got more on the open market. 

Tony Jefferson took less to go to balt over us. 

Wr didnt go to balt this year, taking less to go literally anywhere else. 

Davante parker took a discount in gb to stay with Roger's  

Its easier for guys to take under their value when they are FAs coming in than getting guys who are already on your roster to take less. This is most likely due to the fact that when a guy is on your team they dont know their market yet and want to test the unknown waters. Once FAs coming in get a taste of what teams out there want them and what their market is, its easier for them to forgo a few million to pick their spot.

This is also why if you are a smart, you extend a guy early before his last year and try to get them on a discount before they even have a chance for multiple teams to throw money at them. Ask Chris Harris Jr. lol

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its easier for guys to take under their value when they are FAs coming in than getting guys who are already on your roster to take less. This is most likely due to the fact that when a guy is on your team they dont know their market yet and want to test the unknown waters. Once FAs coming in get a taste of what teams out there want them and what their market is, its easier for them to forgo a few million to pick their spot.

This is also why if you are a smart, you extend a guy early before his last year and try to get them on a discount before they even have a chance for multiple teams to throw money at them. Ask Chris Harris Jr. lol

Yeah and going after a player a year early helps because the player signs a contract without having to worry about being injured in a contract year so theoretically that should save you a little money in negotiating. An agent will see that also and if it is a fair deal they are more likely to take slightly less than they assume they can get on the open market the following year because you don't have the risk of a serious injury which could dramatically effect the salary the player and agent will bring in.

Now what is fair is the reason it usually doesn't get done.

• Like 1

I’m great with taking less money while also insisting that it’s guaranteed. I feel like that’s a nice compromise. I’d like to think once you’re talking 8 figures, money isn’t really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of life.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’m great with taking less money while also insisting that it’s guaranteed. I feel like that’s a nice compromise. I’d like to think once you’re talking 8 figures, money isn’t really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of life.

I agree, money isn't that big of a deal. I'd ask for gold.

• Like 3

In past years, I'd have happily gotten paid 7 figures to miss kicks like Zane Gonzalez, so I'm not sure the result would have been much different with Hornby.  Just go for 2 and go for it on 4th down/punt and the W/L probably wouldn't be much different considering past outcomes. 

For those that don't care about the difference between $10M p/season and $5M p/season, please remember me if you ever win the Powerball and don't know what to do with the excess that you don't care about.  I do care about that difference tbh. 

41 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

For those that don't care about the difference between $10M p/season and $5M p/season, please remember me if you ever win the Powerball and don't know what to do with the excess that you don't care about.  I do care about that difference tbh. 

We’re not talking about the difference between 5-10 million.  We’re talking about the difference between 20 and 35 million per year over the course of a decade.

After a certain point the number is fairly trivial. 200 million in lifetime earnings in enough money that any direct descendent should never have to work a day in their lives unless they’re an idiot and as @Thomas5737 pointed out, an idiot could spend whatever else you made just as easily.

It’s not about not caring about money, it’s about also caring about your legacy, your work environment for a decade, etc. 

Out of curiosity, how would your life be different if you made 20-25 million per (with incentives) as opposed to 35-40?  

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’re not talking about the difference between 5-10 million.  We’re talking about the difference between 20 and 35 million per year over the course of a decade.

After a certain point the number is fairly trivial. 200 million in lifetime earnings in enough money that any direct descendent should never have to work a day in their lives unless they’re an idiot and as @Thomas5737 pointed out, an idiot could spend whatever else you made just as easily.

It’s not about not caring about money, it’s about also caring about your legacy, your work environment for a decade, etc. 

Out of curiosity, how would your life be different if you made 20-25 million per (with incentives) as opposed to 35-40?  

I'm agreeing with all the above points. 

Just throwing it out there that I expect a cut if any of you all are indifferent to that extra mill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

In past years, I'd have happily gotten paid 7 figures to miss kicks like Zane Gonzalez, so I'm not sure the result would have been much different with Hornby.  Just go for 2 and go for it on 4th down/punt and the W/L probably wouldn't be much different considering past outcomes. 

The diference between 0-32 and 1-31 is pretty narrow I agree.