OTA/Mini-camp Thread

ReggieCamp

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

I dont know, I think he holds an advantage that he has experience playing with Silks and Holcomb. Taylor's rookie year he played for the panthers. So that at least gives him a crack first at the job.

I do like our LB depth tho. 3 vets and 3 youngins. The Browns should have at least one vet LB on the field at all times. 

Yeah that's why he is here and why he may have the early lead. Still, I would be a little disappointed in the rest of the room if he walks out with a starting position.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah that's why he is here and why he may have the early lead. Still, I would be a little disappointed in the rest of the room if he walks out with a starting position.

Will it matter tho? It seems like the Browns will only play with 2 LBs a majority of the game. If everything works out Kirk amen Schobert should play most of the game. Silks one year as DC, he had one LB at 90% snap count and another at 80%. Heck last year with the Cards they had only one LB log 75% of the snap counts. 

I think Wilson and Taki will play big roles on STs. That we will see a lot of different uses of safety play. Prolly why they brought in so many. They brought in safeties who excelled at different thing. As long as Kirk and Schobert stay healthy, they should play the majority of the snaps. I think that’s why during OTAs we have seems avery getting reps at DL. So they can find more ways to get him on the field

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 10:10 PM, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yeah, because the media asks the questions. This is literally the only thing to talk about surrounding OBJ right now. He's done nothing with the Browns that has been praiseworthy since he showed up on 4/1/19 and left the next day. Once he does, it's all going to die down.

Still my favorite receiver on this team! I hope he blows up cus many (lacking the Browns FF knowledge base) forgot about him!

I don't know how many here listened to this presser, but man was she condescending. My buddy covering practice asked him a question and she interrupted Hunt's response with such hostility on her final question. I get the distaste she might have towards him, to me it felt unprofessional how clearly hostile she was with her questions. It's not even like the questions themselves were bad, but man was she on a mission.

Do you have a link to that video

10 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Eh, I get your point but it’s not as if we have some first round stud on the bench.  It’s a 3rd rounder and two fifth rounders and 2/3 are rookies.

Add to that Avery will be getting reps as an edge rusher and it’s  the two rookies that will be getting the least snaps as of now, which isn’t even a bad thing.

For years I’ve watched the Steelers and Ravens groom rookies on special teams and reserve roles before stepping into more prominent roles year 2,3, or 4.  It’s imo the best way to do things.  Let the rookie mistakes happen on the practice field and meeting rooms, not on crucial 3rd downs.

If Takitaki is behind Thomas next year, yeah that’s problematic, but not right away imo.  Thomas is a vet who’s familiar with the system and NFL offenses.  He should be the starter right now tbh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

Will it matter tho? It seems like the Browns will only play with 2 LBs a majority of the game. If everything works out Kirk amen Schobert should play most of the game. Silks one year as DC, he had one LB at 90% snap count and another at 80%. Heck last year with the Cards they had only one LB log 75% of the snap counts. 

This is a good point too. If we’re having a bunch of LB’s logging a ton of defensive snaps, we’re doing it wrong in 2019.

I think Wilson and Taki will play big roles on STs.

Agreed.  Year one will be ST and reserve roles for the rookies, and I’m great with that.

That we will see a lot of different uses of safety play. Prolly why they brought in so many. They brought in safeties who excelled at different thing. As long as Kirk and Schobert stay healthy, they should play the majority of the snaps. I think that’s why during OTAs we have seems avery getting reps at DL. So they can find more ways to get him on the field

5 DB’s are essentially the base anymore and our depth their after the draft actually looks pretty damned solid.

We have 3 capable safeties and a promising mid round rookie to combine with 3 proven corners and a 2nd round rookie.  That’s 8 DB’s who are either proven or reasonably talented.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Add to that Avery will be getting reps as an edge rusher and it’s  the two rookies that will be getting the least snaps as of now, which isn’t even a bad thing.

Avery was getting reps at line in OTAs that doesn't necessarily mean he will stay there or spend the majority of his reps there going forward.

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

it’s not as if we have some first round stud on the bench.  It’s a 3rd rounder and two fifth rounders and 2/3 are rookies.

Well they would be trying to beat out a 29 UDFA with 16 career starts it isn't like they are beating out an average LB.

23 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
4 hours ago, buno67 said:

This is a good point too. If we’re having a bunch of LB’s logging a ton of defensive snaps, we’re doing it wrong in 2019.

I won't pretend to even have an idea what our defense will look like. We could run the Arizona dime or the Ron Rivera defense or something completely different. According to Freddie if it doesn't work you should try something different so we may see a lot of different things until something clicks.

Assuming we stay healthy Avery is logging a lot more snaps for me than Taylor.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Avery was getting reps at line in OTAs that doesn't necessarily mean he will stay there or spend the majority of his reps there going forward.

Very true, but he did it a lot last year too and did it pretty well.  If he’s not rushing a decent bit of the time I think they’re misusing him.

Well they would be trying to beat out a 29 UDFA with 16 career starts it isn't like they are beating out an average LB.

After a few years in the league his draft status is pretty irrelevant.  I’m guessing he’s managed to beat out a number of drafted linebackers for a roster spot at this point.

When given a chance last season he was productive.

I won't pretend to even have an idea what our defense will look like. We could run the Arizona dime or the Ron Rivera defense or something completely different. According to Freddie if it doesn't work you should try something different so we may see a lot of different things until something clicks.

I think it’s gonna be different from both of those tbh.  They were zone heavy schemes and we clearly have man press corners. 

I’d imagine so.  I was really impressed with him last season.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I'd like to know what D they were using against the purple that last game of the season so I could throw it out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

After a few years in the league his draft status is pretty irrelevant.  I’m guessing he’s managed to beat out a number of drafted linebackers for a roster spot at this point.

When given a chance last season he was productive.

He was a monster at his pro day and is a great athlete so it's not surprising he beat out lesser athletes that were projected to be better football players. I've never paid attention to him and have no idea what he looks like on the field but I'm guessing he is JAG at best. If he is named the starter I'd guess he is the weakest starter on our roster by a fair margin. In 60 games and 16 starts he has a pick, 2 sacks, 3 QB hits, 6 passes defensed, 4 TFL, 3 forced fumbles and 70 tackles. Avery in 16 games and 5 starts has 4.5 sacks, 14 QB hits, 4 passes defensed, 1 FF, 5 TFL and 30 tackles. One appears better than the other and I'd rather have Avery on the field over Taylor instead of giving our linemen a breather when we have other DEs who can do that.

Again, I'm just guessing that Taylor is less than average based on his usage in his career but he likely isn't the athlete he once was and hasn't ever done anything to turn heads. Avery, while mostly as a pass rusher, has turned some heads. He also didn't embarrass himself when on the field and not rushing the passer. I would just be really surprised if Taylor is taking any starting snaps away from anyone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Ruben Foster carted off with a knee injury and awaiting MRI results.  This is why nobody cares if OBJ isn’t at voluntary Workouts Tony and Mary you blithering Morons 

I’m not too heart broken for him or that franchise 

10 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I don’t give a **** about him, my point was this is a reason nobody cares if Odell isn’t here

Oh I totally agree. OTA is truly only important to the QBs and the fringe roster players and the dudes competing for a starting job. If you are a secure starter, OTAs are useless for you and do more damage than good. 

• Like 1