OTA/Mini-camp Thread

ReggieCamp

Just now, Tomahawk said:

Sorry, but luck doesn't win championships.  Are there bad calls, and lucky breaks?  Sure.  But you don't become a perennial playoff contender through luck.

Perennial playoff contender isn’t the same as a champion.

4 hours ago, candyman93 said:

While Tayne can understand both sides of this conversation, it's pretty easy to point out Tom Brady showing that it is clearly not all about luck, as he keeps going back. There are superstars like Michael Jordan who keep going back to the championship.

Edited by NudeTayne

My original point about luck was on throws in tight windows that barely avoid a defensive players outstretched hand. It is a skillful throw but if the defender had 1" more reach, which I doubt is calculated on every Mayfield pass, then it results in a good defensive play. You have to be good to complete those passes 50% of the time but you'll need luck to do better than that I'd guess.

There is luck in every play. Obviously over a full season one lucky win or unlucky loss isn't going to change much. Just like luck on one play likely isn't going to change the outcome of a game, it can but most times won't. Mosley was lucky that he got stonewalled at the line and opted to jump back into a passing lane. Everyone else ran straight through the line so the Browns were unlucky that one guy was blocked. You can't win a game because of luck (unless you're the Colts) but it can change the outcome of a close game that you competed well in.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Otto Graham was a 7 time champion.

Tom Brady is a 6 time champion.

Joe Montana is a 4 time champion.

Troy Aikman is a 3 time champion.

Luck won all of those championships?

Sorry but chance isn't what wins championships.  Again, Im not saying there aren't bad calls, or "lucky" bounces of the ball.  But championships are won with skill and preparation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

Sorry, but luck doesn't win championships.  Are there bad calls, and lucky breaks?  Sure.  But you don't become a perennial playoff contender through luck.

Or without it if you do not give 100% effort.

Seneca; “Luck is what you have left over after you give 100 percent.”

Just give me 100%, baby, and luck will take care of the rest.

• Like 2