OTA/Mini-camp Thread

ReggieCamp

Admittedly I can't throw a ball nearly as well as Baker so I don't wanna use me as an example but when you throw the ball 35 yards down the field and it is inches away from a defender's hand and in the exact location it needs to be it seems more like luck to me than skill. It is skill getting it close but to be that pinpoint seems unrealistic and while impressive, much like the Landry TD when he was doubled, I can't hope for that play to happen often because the success rate should be pretty low. Again, I'm mostly basing that off of me trying to pinpoint a throw so not a great example to go by but c'mon, those throws are dangerous.

But then, I guess our QB is too.

I can see the Favre comp now that I dismissed early on as I thought he was going to be much more conservative. Good, he was my favorite but I thought he'd be accurate and take car of the football. 65% completions, 30 TD 8 Picks type. He is probably more like 40+ and 15.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Admittedly I can't throw a ball nearly as well as Baker so I don't wanna use me as an example but when you throw the ball 35 yards down the field and it is inches away from a defender's hand and in the exact location it needs to be it seems more like luck to me than skill. It is skill getting it close but to be that pinpoint seems unrealistic and while impressive, much like the Landry TD when he was doubled, I can't hope for that play to happen often because the success rate should be pretty low. Again, I'm mostly basing that off of me trying to pinpoint a throw so not a great example to go by but c'mon, those throws are dangerous.

I can see the Favre comp now that I dismissed early on as I thought he was going to be much more conservative. Good, he was my favorite but I thought he'd be accurate and take car of the football. 65% completions, 30 TD 8 Picks type. He is probably more like 40+ and 15.

I’m genuinely curious who analytics favor. The Alex Smith type or Brett Favre type.

In regards to the throw, I really like Higgins. It’s going to suck when he leaves.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Re: the placement, Baker probably makes that throw 1-2/10

Kizer 1/20

Kessler takes the sack. 

Baker is able to make that throw somewhat regularly, that is the impressive thing. I dont have trouble with him throwing into triple coverage if his guy has leverage, in the nfl you get a guy wide open once or twice a game at best, you have to aggressive throw past and newr defenders to win. 

What is impressive  wiith Baker is that his a+ accurate throws happen at an enormous rate like 15-20%. Kizer could also make some amazing throws and thread the needle I think it was a 5% thing. 

Baker sees the field very well and knows when to attack coverage. Kizer wouldn't see people in front of him. The difference between the two is night and day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I’m genuinely curious who analytics favor. The Alex Smith type or Brett Favre type.

In regards to the throw, I really like Higgins. It’s going to suck when he leaves.

Well I really never thought Alex Smith, that is the most extreme version of a conservative passer you could ever get. I just didn't see a gunslinger in Baker and I'm not sure he will be this year if we don't need him to be but he showed he was willing which is the hardest part for a lot of QBs. Hopefully he is a distributor most of the time and doesn't have to lead the attack and can just take what is there and when needed he can be aggressive and try to win games with his gunslinger mentality.

Hopefully our QB luck over the past 20 years is evened out by Baker which would take a HOF career to do but... hopefully. He certainly isn't a one trick pony so he could be successful now and 10 years from now with a whole different cast and a whole different style of offense. I'll stick to worrying about this year for now and hope his season wasn't the greatest mirage in sports history.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Re: the placement, Baker probably makes that throw 1-2/10

Kizer 1/20

Kessler takes the sack. 

Baker is able to make that throw somewhat regularly, that is the impressive thing. I dont have trouble with him throwing into triple coverage if his guy has leverage, in the nfl you get a guy wide open once or twice a game at best, you have to aggressive throw past and newr defenders to win. 

What is impressive  wiith Baker is that his a+ accurate throws happen at an enormous rate like 15-20%. Kizer could also make some amazing throws and thread the needle I think it was a 5% thing. 

Baker sees the field very well and knows when to attack coverage. Kizer wouldn't see people in front of him. The difference between the two is night and day. 

I wouldn't even throw him in a Kizer comparison. Kizer will likely never catch the TD pass total Baker had in his 14 game rookie season.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Just based on his style, I could see Baker breaking a lot of Browns records. He has a HOF caliber WR in his prime and a lot of incredible weapons.

Without injury he will have a hof career, with at least 1 superbowl, multiple pro bowls some aps maybe one MVP and around 400 td passes. 

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I just didn't see a gunslinger in Baker

I'm sorry... What?  

That was one of the attributes pundits loved or hated about him was his gunslinger attitude.  Every scouting report raved about his "tough", "fiery", "chip on the shoulder" attitude.   How do you not see that in him?  Did you watch any of his college film?  

He is extremely accurate on the move.  That is not a luck thing.  It is a skill for him.  Something like 67% completion rate when he is on the move.  He throws receivers open.  Hard to sack, and continuously extends plays.   

Whether we need him to be or not, Baker is gonna Baker.  Prepare to be dazzled by his gunslinging.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I'm not even worried about it, plus id be happy for him, just two years ago he was put on PS and was damn near out of the league like the rest of the guys in his class (Louis, Coleman,Payton). He fought for everything he has right now and deserves to have success, he would be one of the few guys who I think we re-sign for a reasonable team friendly price.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well I really never thought Alex Smith, that is the most extreme version of a conservative passer you could ever get. I just didn't see a gunslinger in Baker and I'm not sure he will be this year if we don't need him to be but he showed he was willing which is the hardest part for a lot of QBs. Hopefully he is a distributor most of the time and doesn't have to lead the attack and can just take what is there and when needed he can be aggressive and try to win games with his gunslinger mentality.

Hopefully our QB luck over the past 20 years is evened out by Baker which would take a HOF career to do but... hopefully. He certainly isn't a one trick pony so he could be successful now and 10 years from now with a whole different cast and a whole different style of offense. I'll stick to worrying about this year for now and hope his season wasn't the greatest mirage in sports history.

I don't think he is wired like that, he makes good choices but he isn't risk averse either. If he has a shot at it, he's going to take it, if he sees a weakness, he's going to go after you. We don't need Chad Pennington, he's going to let it rip.

:On a side note, if we have any type of success on defense or if our defensive line is as good as people think, we are going to have A LOT of leads. Our running game is going to be critical

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

I'm sorry... What?  

That was one of the attributes pundits loved or hated about him was his gunslinger attitude.  Every scouting report raved about his "tough", "fiery", "chip on the shoulder" attitude.   How do you not see that in him?  Did you watch any of his college film?  

He is extremely accurate on the move.  That is not a luck thing.  It is a skill for him.  Something like 67% completion rate when he is on the move.  He throws receivers open.  Hard to sack, and continuously extends plays.   

Whether we need him to be or not, Baker is gonna Baker.  Prepare to be dazzled by his gunslinging.  

I'm not talking about attitude I'm talking about making dangerous passes. I wouldn't even say he was a gunslinger last year he just showed more of it than I was expecting. A lot of the questions about him coming out of college was that he was always hitting open receivers who were schemed open and that outclassed the opposition. I wasn't worried about that because to me it shows good vision, accuracy and decision making which usually makes for a good QB by itself assuming the arm is strong enough. What I didn't expect to see was him bypassing what looked like easy short gaining plays for low percentage homerun type plays. It isn't really a critique, no one likes Baker more than me it was just a little surprising to me when I saw it happen.

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

But I thought he didn't want to be here

He doesn't. After Cleveland wins it this year, OBJ will sell it for a huge profit and then demand a trade because he's a diva and a team destroyer.

Sincerely,

Sad Baltimore fan

Edited by NudeTayne
Also will accept: Sincerely, @Gmen. Also will accept: SMDH
  • Like 3

Thomas is 100% right though. Sports success in general needs some incredible luck.

I don’t care what anybody says, you need insane luck at some point winning a championship. Not trying to downplay talent and skill, but how many times have we seen the ball just bounce the wrong way? Baker is incredibly accurate, but incredibly fortunate as well.